Alucard7002 - Mk2b 820Si Fastback - Pic Heavy!

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Alucard7002 - Mk2b 820Si Fastback - Pic Heavy!

Post by Fastback » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:35 am

Ignore this.
Last edited by Fastback on Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
'99 Sterling KV6 Fastback :D
'96 Vitesse Lux Fastback, rolling resto :?
'96 825 SLi Fastback, just waiting. :|
Previous:- 'J' 820Si Fastback, part Tickford
MG Maestro 2.0i (I loved that car, I did)

Fastback
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Fastback » Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:58 am

Alucard7002 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:44 pm

What needs doing on the turbo one? Happy to take it on I've got space in December and a man with a P38 and Covered trailer :wink:
Hmm, let me think... everything. :shock:

However, principally engine, gearbox and probably turbo refurb. The engine rattles, particularly in the low to mid 2000rpms and leaks, the gearbox whines (of course it does), in which I want to replace 4th and 5th with diesel variant, unless somebody tells me that's a really bad idea,

The turbo, well because.

Paint work is appalling, body is not bad, just the usual. The worst area which does need attention are the sun roof 'lips'. They have gone quite badly and will soon start to affect the actual roof.

The wheels are good! I had those done and made round again, ovoid wheels are not a good idea. It's amazing the car is still as willing as it is. Good bones, I hope.

The problem, apart from finding somebody to trust, are the potential costs. Not being awash with cash (I have a small budget) but also not having anywhere to store or work on the car, keeping it running (limping?) is the best way to keep it at the forefront of my mind. It is currently doing all the daily driving as the Sterling is static awaiting the exhaust.

Still interested?
Last edited by Fastback on Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:10 am

Alucard7002 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:52 pm
Nothing too exciting. Just the first part to arrive so on it went!

This is me showing my ignorance again: are these two parts directly comparable, just that the shiney one needs some plumbing mods?

If you don't ask, you don't learn.
Mark

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:55 am

Fastback wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:10 am
Alucard7002 wrote:

This is me showing my ignorance again: are these two parts directly comparable, just that the shiney one needs some plumbing mods?

Yes, mounting and plumbing mods, the new shiny one will in fact be better than the OE as it will have more surface area for cooling, even factoring the OE one had fins as well.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:55 pm

Fastback wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:58 am
Alucard7002 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:44 pm

What needs doing on the turbo one? Happy to take it on I've got space in December and a man with a P38 and Covered trailer :wink:
Hmm, let me think... everything. :shock:

However, principally engine, gearbox and probably turbo refurb. The engine rattles, particularly in the low to mid 2000rpms and leaks, the gearbox whines (of course it does), in which I want to replace 4th and 5th with diesel variant, unless somebody tells me that's a really bad idea,

The turbo, well because.

Paint work is appalling, body is not bad, just the usual. The worst area which does need attention are the sun roof 'lips'. They have gone quite badly and will soon start to affect the actual roof.

The wheels are good! I had those done and made round again, ovoid wheels are not a good idea. It's amazing the car is still as willing as it is. Good bones, I hope.

The problem, apart from finding somebody to trust, are the potential costs. Not being awash with cash (I have a small budget) but also not having anywhere to store or work on the car, keeping it running (limping?) is the best way to keep it at the forefront of my mind. It is currently doing all the daily driving as the Sterling is static awaiting the exhaust.

Still interested?

Not afraid of the big stuff, problem usually is accuracy of estimates.

For reference we're 78/HR for spanner work and 120/HR for bespoke fabrication. (Covers consumables for both fab/welding and wiring/engine building)

Only way to really get a good handle on pricing is to see the car in the metal first. We charge a flat rate £50 inspection fee where you get a itemised traffic light report including a photo record. Additional 37.50 for an engine health check, compression, leakdown and borescope the cylinders. Additionally can do filter cuts for the cost of a filter (or bring your own!)

Only things we don't do are body/ paint, In Car Entertainment and upholstery/haberdashery. We have contacts who we can point you towards for those services. We concentrate on building fast, reliable road and track cars not show cars.

Typically engine refreshes start from £2000+ parts, cheapest I've managed so far was £2700 on a NA6 MX5, most expensive is £27k deep and counting on an R32 GTR so it all depends! :wink:

Best to get in touch via email if I've not scared you away with numbers. enquiries@fourpawracing.co.uk is the one
Last edited by Alucard7002 on Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:58 pm

Fastback wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:10 am
Alucard7002 wrote:

Yup, just need some 10mm oil compatible hose, a 10mm pipe joiner and away you go. I'm not fussy on originality for my own cars. Function over form, often functional stuff is pretty in its own right in my eyes.

Also, it's a power steering cooler, can't have an over-cooled power steering system :lol:

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:50 pm

Never doubted you could do the big stuff! 8)

It is basically impossible for me to do this type of work: no garage, no lifting tools, no drive, no nowt! And I live on a narrow, one way street on a hill with a major housing project at the end: HGVs bouncing up the road every few minutes so it's awkward for me to even jack a car up.

Ideally, I'd like somebody local but tricky to find. Think I might have the gearbox covered and the turbo but trying to find somebody to work on the engine... It's ridiculous I'm having to go over thirty miles to somebody who may be able to do the exhaust.

I'm over 200 miles away from FPR so sadly can't pop in for a quick inspection. I would love to give it to someone such as yourself and say just do it. Logistics and indeed budget, prevent me from doing that right now.

Still, I can look forward to your work. Perhaps you could give us an idea of which 'aftermarket' parts you're using and/or adapting. Thanks
Mark

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:47 am

Fastback wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:50 pm
Never doubted you could do the big stuff! 8)

It is basically impossible for me to do this type of work: no garage, no lifting tools, no drive, no nowt! And I live on a narrow, one way street on a hill with a major housing project at the end: HGVs bouncing up the road every few minutes so it's awkward for me to even jack a car up.

Ideally, I'd like somebody local but tricky to find. Think I might have the gearbox covered and the turbo but trying to find somebody to work on the engine... It's ridiculous I'm having to go over thirty miles to somebody who may be able to do the exhaust.

I'm over 200 miles away from FPR so sadly can't pop in for a quick inspection. I would love to give it to someone such as yourself and say just do it. Logistics and indeed budget, prevent me from doing that right now.

Still, I can look forward to your work. Perhaps you could give us an idea of which 'aftermarket' parts you're using and/or adapting. Thanks
Very fair, distance is what it is. My customers come from all over. Best one to date it the Frenchman who drove over and took a coach hom. Same in reverse a few weeks later :lol: So I'll be honest I don't really think about that too much. Having a vehicle transport fellow who's happy to drive to lands end and back in a day removes that issue!

I'll keep you all posted on the aftermarket bits I end up using and bespoke stuff.

Engine work, be wary. Many still doing things like it's 1975. Fine if you're working on a 1970s engine but there are modern tools and parts now and the game has changed significantly in some areas in just the last 10 years. Engine break in for example. Done in 45 minutes to an hour. That's it.

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:47 pm

New Carbotech XP8 pads for the front arrived. Entry level track day/race pad along with the braided lines should make the old girl feel a bit more modern and confidence inspiring.

Rather concerning is the pad is the same fitment as a Honda EP3 Civic 1.4 & 1.6 !! Small! No wonder I used to cook them regularly along with the Coppers back in the day. :oops:

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:54 pm

Specs for the XP8 if anyone is curious.

The break in is hilarious, get them warm evenly to about 300C, then beat the snot out of them until you just get brake fade, then cool completely. Done.

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:23 pm

Unsure if there was already a known solution to these. But as I was missing two I figured I'll fire up the 3D printer and bosh some out. I remember these being delicate so beefed up the design somewhat. Also has the benefit I can adjust the position of the "Hole" to correct and bumper alignment issues if necessary.

I'll pop a link to the Thingyverse download once I confirm these fit

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Fastback
Rover Guru

Post by Fastback » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:41 am

Intersting. Never thought there was a particular problem with the clips which are still available from Rimmers.

Is this your design Dusan? The original design is slightly compressable to give a tensioned 'spring fit' in the bracket, is this one just relying on a friction fit? What material have you used there, it doesn't lool like PETg nor ABS? I have considered looking at it myself but never got round to it. Also, am I right in thinking that the alignment of the bumper is actually controlled by a small bumps in the bodywork of the car, particularly at the front?

Not exactly a snug fit though.

And did you get new brackets from the Rover 800 Club? They are now of a slightly improved design over the one shown here.
Mark

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:06 pm

Fastback wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:41 am
Intersting. Never thought there was a particular problem with the clips which are still available from Rimmers.

Is this your design Dusan? The original design is slightly compressable to give a tensioned 'spring fit' in the bracket, is this one just relying on a friction fit? What material have you used there, it doesn't lool like PETg nor ABS? I have considered looking at it myself but never got round to it. Also, am I right in thinking that the alignment of the bumper is actually controlled by a small bumps in the bodywork of the car, particularly at the front?

And did you get new brackets from the Rover 800 Club? They are now of a slightly improved design over the one shown here.
I'll admit I did not even check Rimmer Brothers....

I sat down with a scotch and drew up that design. There is deliberately no flex, these will be a faff to fit but also a one and done. I remember being annoyed with the original ones back on the day, unsure exactly why now though!

The material is just PLA for now, see how they last

The car came with 4 of the new design rover club brackets, the fronts I can adjust easily but the rear is somewhat limited in adjustment if I remember correctly.

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:22 pm

Small update,

Finally ended up buying genuine rear discs from Rimmer's

Sorted the braided lines and XP8 pads

Got the RB5 Tarmac Rally tyres mounted on a very bent set of Vitesse 17s

Fiddled the LPG enough to pass emissions but it needs the magencor leads, new coilpack and LPG iridium's back in it before the gas system is happy again.

MOT'd and Taxed

Took it to Donnington, beat the snot out of it for 100 miles on track. Apart from the ignition coil overheating and going on strike temporarily - fault free.

Anyone want it before I stick it back up for sale?

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:12 am

Excellent, it is good to see another 800 working hard on track, they really are quite good once you get going.
It s a shame you are selling it.