Alucard7002 - Mk2b 820Si Fastback - Pic Heavy!

Please post pictures, specifications and worklogs of your cars in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Alucard7002 - Mk2b 820Si Fastback - Pic Heavy!

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Those centre caps look familiar!

Looks very very nice! You'll have a PM soon regarding some other wheels/tyres in your possession! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:02 pm

Heh! I wonder why ;-)

I have two sets of centre caps painted gold for me. One set I removed the Rover badge and the chap filled and smoothed the cap.

The other set I told him to just go over the top of everything and I stuck on those Amazon centre cap stickers you kindly found the link to!

Folks not in the know don't know the difference. Plus they're distracted by the wheels themselves so tend not to look at the caps too much!

I've noticed people let me out of junctions MUCH more often now. Added bonus!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:10 pm

It's funny how small changes make all the difference to how much you get noticed and/or let out - just by adding the DRL conversion into the indicator lenses people are noticing my coupé more and/or letting me out more.
Had to laugh the other day - a Skyline Pilot (not sure if it was R32,33 or 34 - i get mixed up on those three but give me a C210......) clocked my coupé and couldn't take his eyes off it!
Have to confess to feeling slightly smug and thinking "I know what you've got, but i bet you don't know what i've got!" :twisted: :lol:

It's all about visual impact i think and just enough visual impact is errrr................. just enough! :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alucard7002 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:41 pm

While I've been sill boshing on the new Vitesse I had a good look at these.

Somewhat wish I hadn't :(

MOT was done in April with no advisories.

Never had advisories for rot in it's life.

I'm always taking care to wash under the arches and all the mud traps, all the drain holes are clear and working. There is even the original factory wax inside the sills in vast quantities.

Looks like I'll be buying two sets of sills to fit this Christmas - practice on Vittesse and hopefully get it even better on the 820.

Still shiny though! :lol:

It's gone wafer thin over the years and is only just starting to surface corrode the inner sill. Caught in good time!

Still in full use as a load lugger! :roll:

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:55 pm

Good evening all,

I hope we are all keeping well these days.

My apologies that I've been rather quiet over the last 6 months or so, I've been a busy lad with going self-employed and a big change in life circumstances etc. etc. drama fluff.

Anyhoo I'm now down in Pembs with the folks for a week for some quality time spent with old friends and spannering on the 820.

Back in August (see above post) I discovered a worryingly large rust hole in the left sill. Cue much poking and it turned into an even more disturbingly large hole.

I bought a set of sills from Pete here and the original plan was to fix it in October before it got cold, wet and salty.

Cue life and here we are now 8 months later and I'm busy fixing it.

So without anymore fluff and words, have a whole host of photographs of work so far today. Time stamps on my camera for the time taken :lol:

Arrival at 13:10

Setup for cleaning 13:23

14:10 - Up on stands, feet, front bumper, wings off

Some photos of the cinnamon effect that needs removing.

NS front door (rear edge)

OS sill rear

NS Front door bottom (ignore the scrape on the sill - long story and no harm done except to my self-esteem :oops: )

NS Sill rear

16:24 Car washed and brought inside - engine bay been gunked and washed, high pressure "turbo" nozzle on the jet washer removed the last 12k of munk from the underside.

18:06 Much sorting of stuff out and I started the first exploratory cut

18:55 - All spot welds drilled out and sill ready for removal

19:03 - First stage sweepings, not going to bother weighing them this time!

20:13 - Second stage sweepings

The result of the first 6 hours work - One rough cut sill removal. All the visible rust cleaned back to good metal inside the sill and under the floor.

I'll be cutting ~150mm long sections out of the inner sill a bit at a time from the B pillar back. That way I can remove the rust from the floorpan and inner sill joint without having to weld braces into the rear door shuts.

So far the only tools I've used!

Plan for tomorrow is to remove the doors so I can get clear access to the complete sill.
Offer up the replacement sill and mark cut lines.
I'll be overlap jointing at the top within the door shuts, plug welding the flange, folding over and seam welding the entire "backside" of the flange.
Prep the joint areas and replacement sill for paint and welding
Paint everything except weld areas in Glavafroid
Prep welder and practice on some scrap (I haven't picked up a welder in ~ 9 months)
Weld on new sill

Call it a day at that point I think :lol:

I'll see how it goes and I'll post the update here tomorrow evening :D

Until then folks!

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:21 pm

All good stuff mate! Certainly made a lot of progress there in a day, hope tomorrow is as fruitful for you!

Looking forward to seeing the progress, i hadn't realised it was such a paper doyley even after looking at it! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Nice work, looks all too familiar :roll:
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Slamm wrote:Nice work, looks all too familiar :roll:
Agreed. I'm having traumatic flashbacks.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Post Traumatic Sill Disorder? :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Alucard7002

Post by Alucard7002 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:51 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

Post Traumatic Sill Disorder - could definitely be a thing! :lol:

I've got to do it all again this summer to the Vitesse!

Got a fair bit done today - both more than and less than I would have liked.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

First issue of the day, TheOldMan opened the garage door thins morning and both radiator fans on the 820 were running at the slow speed! :shock:

As for how long we have no idea, battery was fully charged and the suspect identified fairly sharpish!

I fixed that little issue by bunging a spare one on from my multitude of spares (I somehow have acquired 3 Fan relay boxes!)

Then onto the sill, offered up the new sill using the Cleco kit - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cleco-Temporar ... B00C77DBN2

All seems very good, the fitup is excellent so well done to Mark and Paul for organising manufacture and distribution of them.

Then onto the rust some more, cut a small "access" as it were to see how bad the rust behind the inner sill was.

The answer is not bad enough to worry about, phosphoric acid bath via squirty bottle soon sorted it out.

Only one small plate to make and fit right at the very end of the sill.

My welding got much better during the day, first time using 0.6mm wire on TheOldMan's welder, finicky and difficult but once I got it sussed it was such a dream to use. No more ticky tacky with 0.8mm wire trying not to blow through both layers!

Sill ends not bad at all, just some thinning on the very bottom.

Then even more Clecos

A man can never have enough clamps!

More welding goodness, I managed to run some decent beads on car bodywork for the first time.

Then I had to stop welding as I ran out of gas! :oops: While TheOldMan went to fetch a refill I cracked on an managed to replace a few bits.

Polybushed the trailing arm/brake reaction bar mounts - in this situation I don't mind polybushes as there is no rotational movement of them. Yes the size difference is both how worn the old ones are and the slightly different style of the polybushes. MUCH stiffer than before, not too happy about that as Stiction within the suspension will increase (Static Friction) and there is something else other than the spring adding to the springing effect. Even so it's better than knackered OEM ones!

No photos yet but I also managed today:
  • All four shock absorbers replaced
    Front shock absorbers had the special spring seat modification so I can run the 50mm progressive wound lowering springs at normal ride height
    Front lower wishbones changed to Vitesse items (stiffer bushes)
    Rear brake discs removed in anticipation of new ones arriving tomorrow
    LPG diagnosis begun and wiring changes made to (hopefully) fix my LPG that has been broken since May 2016... :roll:

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:51 am

More good work and taking shape nicely! Hadn't heard of Cleco fasteners but what a brilliant idea - top marks for using them in a "non-original" manner!

Pain in the butt about that fan relay, good job you had a spare! Or three! :lol: Take it you put the battery on charge after seeing as you had to disconnect it for the welding? :?

Are you changing the block while you're there this week?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:19 pm

Certainly been busy. :)

I don't miss those days.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:17 pm

CHR15E wrote:Certainly been busy. :)

I don't miss those days.
You've got a 10 year old FoMoCo product. "Those days" are just around the corner....

:lol:
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:10 pm

I dare say you're right, but as I have no attachment to it when they start I'll get rid and get something newer.

I'm going to join the sheep and go for something new or not very old and then swap it regularly as to try and avoid big bills at higher mileages.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:00 am

Fantastic work Dusan, thanks for sharing the pictures and nice to see you back here fit and well.

Chris, I understand your last comment. We came up against the same thing with Michelle's 75. She now has a new Fiesta and loves it. My coupe and the MG are used and worked on when we like as I now have a new car from work too. Being under pressure to keep a car going for everyday matters is not fun. We are very lucky to be in this position.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997