BMC & Leyland Show at Gaydon + Cowley & Longbridge Convoys

Post your photos from car shows and get-togethers in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tanya
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

BMC & Leyland Show at Gaydon + Cowley & Longbridge Convoys

Post by Tanya » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:32 pm

I thought that I had posted this here, but having checked, I hadn't.

CHEAP ADVANCED TICKETS TO TAKE A CAR TO THIS SHOW CLOSE ON MONDAY 29TH JUNE. IF YOU BUY THEM THROUGH THE LINK BELOW BEFORE THAT DATE THEN FOR A CAR AND TWO PEOPLE IT IS £7, AFTER THAT DATE £24! You can sign up to the convoys which are free of charge to join at any point - we don't have a cut off date.

This year we are having two convoys, one from Cowley and one from Longbridge. The timing are the same for both convoys, so you need to arrive at either Cowley or Longbridge between 8.30am and 9.15am, ready for a 9.30am departure. As usual, the convoys are free of charge to join.

If you want cheap tickets, you MUST pre-order them. They are £7 for a car and two people before the show, or £12 per person on the day! If you have free tickets from your club, you can still convoy with us and join your club's stand when you arrive at the show.

This show is for all BMC, BL produced vehicles and also every vehicle ever produced at Cowley or Longbridge including current production, so MINI, MG3 and MG6.

Alan Webb-Moore is running the Longbridge convoy and I'm running the Cowley one. If you have any questions please contact me tanyafield @ supanet.com

Here's the form to join a convoy - http://cowleyconvoy.info/#/attend-a-convoy/4564571391

Here's the form for cheap advanced tickets (ignore the closing date of 15th June - Gaydon have extended this to 29th June, but haven't changed the form) - http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/ ... try-01.pdf

For those who would like to show in concours, please complete this form - http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/ ... sBMC15.pdf

Here's more general information about the show - http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/ ... land-show/

I already know of three 800s who are going. Any more takers?

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: BMC & Leyland Show at Gaydon + Cowley & Longbridge Convo

Post by tonewheeldude » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:35 pm

good luck trying to get anyone to come from here Tanya! I came last year...nobody else turned up sadly (three 800's in total - neither of the others were 800.info members though). Pity as it was a great day out. Unless there is more of an effort made (even a couple would be something) I will still go, but probably just take my wifes two mini's, then back over in a few weeks with my Sunbeam.

Whilst the 800.info forum is invaluable and I have been very glad of member here, its such a pity there is no actual owners club. I fear for the future of our cars as without club support they are disappearing way too fast.
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:18 am

mrpcpc wrote:
If I'm to keep an 800 that is 26 years old for another twenty years and keep it in good condition, do you really think I will be the only one. :?:
no
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback, and I do find it a shame that 800s aren't formally represented at many events and shows, it's not good for the model, current enthusiasts or for recruitment of new people to the cause. That isn't a go at anyone and it's great that there is representation at a few events - well done to those who make that happen. From personal experience, I know the cars that I am most active with are those where there is an active scene that makes it fun and enjoyable to take the cars out. I know people complain that you pay 'scene tax' for owning a Mini, but from a social point of view, owning a Mini is so much more rewarding than an 800. We have 10 Minis and most of them have their own register (generally all more active that the 800s) for whatever type of Mini they are and that makes owning them great fun.

I would offer to take on organising stands for 800s at as many events that I can, but I'm currently doing that for the Maestro & Montego Owners Club and the MG FWD Register. I also help organise the Cowley Convoy and I'm involved with lots of local events around Cowley to promote Cowley built cars and to take them out to the local community and former (and current) Cowley workers. While there is enough of me to make two people from, sadly that science has yet to be mastered!

I do worry for the 800s. They need classic car press exposure (as much as possible) some of which comes from having the cars seen out and about, the owners to be able to feel part of something that makes owning 800s fun and to be able to attract new enthusiasts into the 800 scene, and as many as possible. This doesn't happen when hiding your light under a bushel.

Anyway, back to the job in hand. Within the Cowley Convoy, I will try and park the 800s together, if possible. It would be lovely to see some 800s at this show, and maybe for the 800s have a stand there next year.

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:26 am

Tanya wrote:I do worry for the 800s. They need classic car press exposure (as much as possible) some of which comes from having the cars seen out and about, the owners to be able to feel part of something that makes owning 800s fun and to be able to attract new enthusiasts into the 800 scene, and as many as possible. This doesn't happen when hiding your light under a bushel.
Good point there, whilst I'm of the opinion that being a "club" doesn't matter, having someone take on certain roles such as publicist for the car (not the forum) or events wranger would help the car's standing in the "classic" world.

Then again, people would need electing, and there would be votes, and soon there would be a commitee and then I would soon be reminded why I gave up with "clubs" of any sort in my early '20s.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:01 pm

Moving on from whether models of cars do better with or without an owners club (or two or three for some models), we're now up to four 800 for the BMC & Leyland Show (which I know of). Two on the Cowley Convoy, one on the Longbridge Convoy, and one making its own way there.

It's a shame that there was no one to organise an 800 club stand or those cars would have got free tickets as part of a club stand. Maybe next year...

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:16 pm

It was a fantastic show and we managed a total of six Rover 800s, five of them parked together near the front - they made quite a presence. :D I also spotted another on the way home, but he had a valid reason for not coming to the show - he'd got married the day before. Congratulations Adrian :D

Being very familiar with mission impossibles, next year I would like to be able to get 30 800s there to celebrate Rover 800's 30th. If the show retains this weekend next year it is going to be close to the 30th anniversary of the launch so would be an ideal place to have a big celebration. On top of that, this show is now well reported by AROnline, Classic Car Weekly and Classic Car Buyer - great coverage for the 800s.

I have commitment from 10 Rover 800s so far, and ideally I would like 40 on the list to allow for 10 cars/owners to have problems which prevent them from attending on the day. As soon I have a confirmed date for this show next year, I will start shouting loudly and regularly.

Here are my not very good photos of the 800s, I'll post some more general ones later.

The sixth 800. This is an ex Police car and the owner told me that he's spoken to Kate about it.

Adrian, before disaster struck - the oil pipe from the turbo split dumping the oil on the manifold and he thinks it's killed the crank. :( I was behind him as he limped across to the hard shoulder :( He ended up being taken home by the RAC and swapping the Vitesse for a Focus to take him on his honeymoon - I feel very sorry for him :(

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:31 am

Well done Tanya - thats 100% more than last year :) I will definately make sure I bring my 800 to Gaydon next time and if you are planning any other events let me know.

I have felt a bit dispondent about my 800 - I love it and will not part with it (its the only Diesel Coupe known to exist). I took it to a number of shows last year but for the most part had to park with a mishmash of other cars or just in the public car parks so this year I have been concentrating on my 1962 Sunbeam Rapier which always attracts a ton of attention, also just completed a 1000 mile tour with a 1968 Dandy Trailer tent in tow. I have to sell either the Sunbeam or the Rover and to everyones disbelief it will be the Sunbeam. (still have two classic minis though)

Some here seem to pride themselves in the fact this is not a club, whilst the forum is invaluable I fear for these beautifull cars because without an active scene at the shows there is almost zero interest in them and little hope the marque will survive in any real numbers.

Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:18 pm

The first picture would look great in sepia or black and white with a little bit of air brushing out of the trellis fencing.

Agreed on the Gaydon show I hope to make it next year. We really need to get a calender thread started early ready for 2016 and only allow an administrator to edit it with dates and venues as it turns into a right old miss mash of chat.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05