Scottish All Rover Rally 2009

Post your photos from car shows and get-togethers in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

47p2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Scottish All Rover Rally 2009

Post by 47p2 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Well things never started off very well, I got out of bed only to find I had a heck of a sore left foot, I don't know what I've done to it but it is a real struggle to walk.

Rich and I set off around 7.00 this morning and went to fuel up his car, unfortunately the filling station was closed as the tanker was making a delivery so we about turned and immediately things began to look up. There in front of us was a leggy female who was just getting home after a Saturday night out, I swear her mini dress was painted on......Well that made an old man happy and forget about the sore foot for a short while....I'm sure Rich cranked his neck as he watched her in his rear view mirror.

A rather non eventful 78 miles later we arrived at Thirlstane Castle and the sun was out but the easterly wind was bitterly cold, infact freezing would be a better way to describe it. It took a while but the wind did eventually drop and by mid afternoon it was a lovely sunny field of Rovers and Wolseleys.

This is the 7th time I have been to this event and every year I have been fortunate enough to win the "Best in Class" trophy, but I have never won the Rally Championship.....until today, it's been a bit of a tough one and I was gobsmacked when my name was called out but I have now done it and I am chuffed to mintballs

Best in Class Tankard, Rally Championship Tankard & Shield

Gentlemen I give you the Scottish All Rover Rally 2009

P2s numbers were down this year but still fierce competition

Marie's little 8hp

A very unusual one this year was a 1923 Rover Road Racer

A new one to me is this 46 12hp Saloon

David's 36 Tourer still looks great

As does John's 48 Tourer

Finally for this lot is Billy's P3 which if you remember 2 years ago I saw for the first time and it was stunning

The P4s had a good turn out again, slightly down in numbers from last year but still well represented

P5 numbers were over 20 which was a record for this event

Rare LHD model

and the Colonel looking as good as ever

Plenty P6s once again and this car was the Judges choice

This took my fancy and it was very tidy

Extreem browness

A variation on a theme....3 different P6 engine bays

A single entry for the SD1s

Rich's 827 which will have done around 1000 miles over the weekend and ran faultlessly

I do like the two tone 800s in this colour

Cor blimey, this is bright

Modern Rovers were well represented this year for the first time

As I mentioned earlier Wolseley were also at the rally.

Well tidy enough to impress even me

What's not to love about this 6 cylinder job

Oh the smell of wood and leather

This is a 1930s Barn find 16hp under restoration.....It is massive and the roof almost 6 foot high so no chance of me washing it

The engine has had a 'sympathetic' resto as will the rest of the car

So what would I want to take home.......This stunning 6/90 which is the same as the Riley Pathfinder

JT

...........Image

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun May 24, 2009 11:11 pm

Well done on the trophy.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Richard C
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Richard C » Sun May 24, 2009 11:32 pm

Anyone's on here?

Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon May 25, 2009 12:25 am

PROPER Rovers, lovely...apart from the red 800 - what a mess!

And pleased to see Rich C's 827Si made it. Another one of my old cars! It looks fab, Rich.

The P4s and P5s are particularly tasty.

Well done on yet more trophies, John.
No longer an 800 owner!

Seans Dad
Regular Visitor

Post by Seans Dad » Mon May 25, 2009 4:57 am

Congratulations on your trophy John, well done. :D

Looked like a good day out, and I think you've captured the spirit of the event perfectly with your photo's, I think that deserves a trophy in itself! :D

I do love those P5's, I remember when I was 12 years old, my neighbour owned one. How many sets of Rostyle wheels do you see on the road today? They used to be everywhere. Beautiful.

And I'd completely forgotten about the P6 Estate, what an absolute stunner! 8)

One slight flaw though John, it's an "all Rover" event, but I noticed a Chrysler 300C in the background of one of your photo's!! :lol:

Well done again, and thanks for sharing it with us.

Dan.
1999 Mercedes C Class C240 Sport Auto Estate.

Previous Rovers: '94 827 Sterling Fastback Auto, '91 820si Fastback Auto.

http://www.mgt-dist.co.uk

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:39 am

Thanks Dan, yes the Chrysler was indeed part of the show, why, i'm not sure. The owner does have a Rover and possibly it is off the road at the moment so decided to bring his modern car.....Just a shame it was parked at the top of the P2 line up and spoiled our pictures
JT

...........Image

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Mon May 25, 2009 7:52 am

Great pics of a great day. Congratulations on your trophy.

The P5 is one of my faves too. One lives just round the corner from me.

The SD1 seems to be a nice example, shame it is so lonely
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon May 25, 2009 10:03 am

Well done John.

That red MK2 is different. :shock:
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Mon May 25, 2009 10:11 am

OK now feast your eyes on this, I don't mind people blinging their engine bays but it needs to done properly.
The worst modded car i have ever seen, it was a shame as he came across a nice chap.

And someone has been let loose with their Crayola Crayons in the engine bay.
It looks better in those photo's than it actually was, he had pained various things red and hadn't masked anything, it looked like there had been a masacre in there.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Mon May 25, 2009 10:16 am

As you can imagine this weekend has been tiring, 820 miles since yesterday midday (written Sunday night), but it was well worth it.
I got caught up in two tail back on the M6 as i headed north, the M6 was briefly closed somewhere around Stafford so I decided to take the M54 and A41, yeah I know, it seemed a good idea at the time. Anyway I rejoined the M6 at Stoke and it was painfully slow progress and then I came across the second hold up near the M55 Blackpool turn off. Once through that I had a clear run but it had added a good 2 hours to my journey time.
I stopped at Kendal whilst doing so JT called and I had left my phone in the car so much was my haste to find the 'BOGS' anyway we caught up and guessed what time i would arrive. I got to JT's place around 7ish and we had a lovely meal prepared by Liz and I had the official tour of Chez Turner, I have to say the new garage is MASSIVE and it's official im bloody jealous.
An early start saw us head to the filling station and as JT mentioned above we saw this girl, I tell ya her skirt was so short I could see Fur!
Anyway once JT had recovered from this we headed over to the rally, which was in the stunning setting of Thirlestane Castle.

Tilly ready to depart for her day of Glory.

Tilly heading through Glasgow on the M8, I was surprised at how spritely Tilly was.

Tilly on the big climb away from Edinburgh on the A68

Our arrival.

The castle.

At the prize presentation Tilly was lined up with the other class winners, Tilly had won the running board class.

JT picking up his Tankard for winning the Running bOard Class.

JT then chatted with the other class winners whilst the raffle was held and ther judges decided who was going to be taking away the main prize of the day.

The judges came back and the rest is history.

After I had said my good byes to JT Iheaded south via Galashields and Hawick (I decided to take the scenic route)

and there ended an excellent weekend, I am so happy for JT to have finally acheived his goal after so many years trying. Good On You Mr T
Last edited by Richard C on Mon May 25, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Mon May 25, 2009 10:27 am

As JT mentions above the red duo tone 800 Sterling was nice and I suspect it belongs to a member here as it looked familiar, It was on a H plate but had leccy rear seats and a large trip computer. It was also the second Mk1 Sterling i have seen that was a manual (after RM's)

This was lovely and was in very good condition.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon May 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Rich, Brad has one just like it - maybe that's why it looks familiar.

PS - moved to show pictures forum
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

The Professor
Rover Guru

Post by The Professor » Mon May 25, 2009 2:58 pm

The Flame red Sterling is Project xx's car.As you know he is a member on this forum so you were right Richard.
I didn't relise it was a manual. It isn't a MK1 c as people refer and so no surprise it has electric rear seats.

Looks to have been a great show with some great cars.
The 6/110 is definately a late registered car.
Glyn
Image Image

projectxx
Regular Visitor

all rover rally

Post by projectxx » Tue May 26, 2009 8:09 pm

i attended this not expecting to see much in the way of 800's,but was pleasantly surprised,when i actually arrived i had intended just to park in the public car park,but when i saw there was a few 800's,changed my mind.i really wished that i'd got my mate to drive my 825 sterling along too,next year!! :o [ forgot to say my car is the red sterling]

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Tue May 26, 2009 8:16 pm

That is a nice car. 8)
Richard

@Rich_Clements