Brooklands or RM heaven - picture heavy

Post your photos from car shows and get-togethers in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Brooklands or RM heaven - picture heavy

Post by SJG » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:15 pm

We went to Brooklands last weekend, what with the car problems this week i have had a chance to post any pictures. I have always been facinated by the racetrack and when i was a child used to cycle from home to byfleet and explore bits of the track.

Richard, there are some pictures of the plane we talked about landing when we saw each other the other week.

Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:06 am

It was my mate Steve "Jimmy" Jewel who flew that VC10 into Brooklands. They had to get the RAF to do it because the runway was too short for a civilian VC10 to land, but we didn't have to follow those rules.

Oddly, although the VC10 was built at Brooklands, through a peculiarity of their performance they were able to take-off from there but were too big and heavy to land.

Thanks for the pictures Simon - although it's about time they gave it a decent wash.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by SJG » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Just to let everyone else know how this conversation came about. When Richard and i tried to collect the Metro he nearly bought he saw the picture of the Brooklands track i have in our living room.

Richard then mentioned about the VC10 which landed at the site, and that his friend had flown it in. The plane was a personal plane of the Sultan of Oman and he had given it as a gift, to the Queen i think.

Anyway i told Richard that i had seen the plane circling and land as i used to work at St Georges Hill golf course, which is next to the track, back then, this was in 1987(?).

I quite agree it needs a wash, actually the whole site needs a good spruce up.

A litle more information is here...

http://www.vc10.net/History/Individual/GASIX.html
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

The Professor
Rover Guru

Post by The Professor » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:25 pm

I must make a trip to Brooklands some time.
It has such a rich history both as a race track and airfield.
Its a shame it was left to deteriorate and the track allowed to be broken up and finally a part sold off for development.
I enjoyed watching James May's Toy stories recently where they built the large scalextric circuit at Brooklands.
Is the Mercedes Benz visitor centre worth looking at?
Glyn
Image Image

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:22 pm

The Professor wrote:Its a shame it was left to deteriorate and the track allowed to be broken up and finally a part sold off for development.
One of my customers used to work for Mercedes and he says that when they set up at Brooklands, they offered to rebuild the circuit (or at least the parts that remain) but the local council wouldn't let them. I guess the lure of a couple more industrial units proved too strong.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:29 pm

The state of Brooklands makes me want to cry.

Such a historic place, and ripped up. Worse than what they have done to the circuit at Crystal Palace.

Some old circuits should be preserved. Shame on the Council....
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

The Professor
Rover Guru

Post by The Professor » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:36 am

i agree should have had a preservation order placed on it.
Thats local council for you.
Glyn
Image Image

The Professor
Rover Guru

Post by The Professor » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:09 pm

I was reading last week that the freehold of the 30 acre site of Brooklands owned by Japanese tobacco has been given to The Brooklands Museum trust its 25 year tenant . I think it was very generous of them and good news for the Museum Trust.
Glyn
Image Image

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:40 pm

Wow!! Thats excellent news :D
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:36 am

I just picked up on this thread.

The VC10 was bought by Freddie Laker after the Sultan finished with it. It has a panel near the front passenger exit where it could accept his Rolls Royce. I was on this plane recently, at Brooklands, and there are pictures of them loading this huge car into the plane - he took it with him on a lot of his travels, apparently.

I was on Concorde as a teenager and went on the static plane on display and forgot how tiny it is inside - I couldn't stand up, it was too low.

I can recommend a trip to Brooklands - it isn't cheap and it is a bit weather worn in parts. Remember it is fortunate for us that it exists at all, though - it is not Alton Towers!

As for Mercedes World. GO GO GO ! It is free to get in. They welcome you and will show you all sorts of stuff. Great for a wet day as well as it is all under cover apart from the test track. My son (10) and daughter (12) have been getting driving lessons there in new A Class cars. These you do pay for and they aren't cheap but are taken on old sections of the Brooklands circuit. I think the charge is £90 an hour. But they enjoy it and are getting a grounding in the basics of car control and are 100% safe.

So, Brooklands and Merc World...a great place to spend a couple of days, in fact.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:37 am

Very Tall Brad wrote:The VC10 was bought by Freddie Laker after the Sultan finished with it. It has a panel near the front passenger exit where it could accept his Rolls Royce. I was on this plane recently, at Brooklands, and there are pictures of them loading this huge car into the plane - he took it with him on a lot of his travels, apparently.
It's the other way around - Freddie bought it new for British United Airways then it went to Caledonian before the Sultan bought it and had it fitted out.

http://www.vc10.net/History/Individual/GASIX.html

I'm surprised that a Rolls Royce would fit through the cargo door - we struggled to get Landrovers through!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:26 am

Ah. Sorry - got it the round wrong way. :wink:
No longer an 800 owner!

Russell820i
Rover Guru

Post by Russell820i » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Fantastic day out by the looks of it. I was at Leauchars the other weekend, was excellent.