Cornwall Trip, June 3rd-5th 2011

Post your photos from car shows and get-togethers in here.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Vard66
Rover Guru

Cornwall Trip, June 3rd-5th 2011

Post by Vard66 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:11 am

Well now!

I've just finished going through the photos I took, whittling nigh on 200 down to 60.

I'm not gonna post them all, but I'll whack a few up here now.

A promising, if not ultimately unexpected start to the trip;

Meeting up with WEDGE at J30

Pondering the SX's cooling problems, which added two extra hours to our journey down the motorway. In the end we wound up removing the grille, after which, no issues whatsoever, rock solid at operating temp the whole way.

Under way, watching Andy's Astra van, disconcertingly flat through the corners, that thing.

At the campsite in Carlyon, Master WEDGE attempts to inflate his mattress, as a break from faffing (and failing) with his tent. :-P

Andy's 'quick pitch' tent, excellent on the way up, but at least ten times longer to try to collapse it again, very amusing to watch Andy cursing and getting the laptop out to try to find out how you're supposed to twist them.

Rich's miniature tent, very impressed with this, no time at all to errect or pack away, and Rich seemed happy enough in it

Andy and Richard then busied themselves trying to get Alex's powered cooler box working, running off a battery from a Viva, I think...

Ghetto bodges were the watchword for this trip - as Alex said, it's a very typical attitude, cooling problem, grille is the problem. Solution? Remove Grille.

:lol:

Shopping at the local Tescos, we discover some apt beverages;

Back in camp, we discover we've forgotten a handful of things, and in keeping with his boy-scout past, Richard sprang into action, grabbed a big knife, and... solved our lack of drinking vessels by hacking a few spring water bottles in half to make.... GHETTO BODGE CUPS!

That all done, we set about the evening's passtime, namely the imbibing of rather pleasant apple based beverages. By the time we turned in, this is how the WEDGE appeared to me;

Fade to black...
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi
1995 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:02 am

The following morning, (just), we pulled up at the New Inn, to meet with Job and Cisca, Charles and (I'm sorry Charles, I'm not sure I ever learned your wife's name to forget it).
No sign of John in the P5 though.

Lovely beer garden, a couple more pints for me!

Then off in the cars, for a drive along possibly the narrowest roads in Cornwall, lead by Charles;

(Hur Hur Hur...)

And to the (shockingly expensive), shiny new King Harry Ferry.

Down to Lizzard Point, where we found another member, Len, and a rather beautiful resident, too;

:P

Rich and Alex contemplating the sign announcing the coordinates of the southernmost point

And after all the driving, with my arm hanging out of the passenger window, being sunburnt, wind burned and whipped by all the little b*stard cowslips and thistles that Rich was deliberately drifting towards the verge to get me with, my lovely watch-tan

If you excuse that, I pretty much otherwise avoided burning, despite not bothering with sunblock at all!

After a brief lunch on Sunday morning with Job and Cisca again, we head off, homeward bound.

I've had a cracking weekend, and now I'm going to spend tomorrow detoxing!

I have to say I'm very glad we decided to make this an annual occurrence; though perhaps it should be considerably more frequent!

After a fair bit of discussion, Richard and I have agreed it would be very nice to add another day, or two at the outside, and make a proper job of the trip. We all felt that more or less just as we were settled in nicely at the campsite, we were packing up again and it felt a shame.
The practical upshot of this may well be a greater turnout, making it more worthwhile for folks like Chris coming down such a long way.

Job, you have to let us know when you will be here this time next year, so we can get it booked already!

:D
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:26 am

Oh yes!

I nearly forgot!

On the Friday night, I recieved a phonecall from a friend on Rovertech, asking me about a local meet I'm looking to organise later this month.

When I replied that I would sort something out when I was back from Cornwall, it transpired that he was also in Cornwall, about a quarter hour's drive from where we were staying, by sheer coincidence! so we decided we'd meet up at Exeter Services again, and convoy up the M5 on the way back.

:lol:
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi

ash
Regular Visitor

Post by ash » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:25 am

Looks good and looks like you had great weather as well? - lucky as its been really windy and horrible here the last couple of days. I remember I wanted to come on this Cornwall trip but I had completely forgotton about it/when it was. Maybe next time though.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Was Alex practising his song and dance routine?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Alex SBY
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:26 pm

:lol: :lol:

Wonderful pose you caught me in there Vard! :P

Fantastic pictures, brilliant weather, wonderful company and a great great time!

Cannot wait until the next one! :D
One or two 800s...

rich1988
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by rich1988 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:33 pm

I dont have any pictures to add im afraid but next year another day is certainly needed, and a visit to the cider mill!!! *hiccup*
1995 woodcote green vitesse fastback, a modified (only perfomance mods!) 1998 nissan 200sx s14a, 2000 1.7 astra van (HELL YEA)

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Looks like you had some nice weather. Hoepfully we will this weekend.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:05 pm

Lovely photo's looks like you picked the right weekend to go.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:35 pm

Great bit of photo jounalism :D Loving the Healey, Alex's Cornish Floral Dance routine and Job's 800 shirt :lol:
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

austinpowers
Regular Visitor

Post by austinpowers » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:15 pm

Cracking weekend, nice to meet new faces :D

Shame i didn't turn up in a Rover :wink:

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:52 pm

When Job gets back, I suspect he might have some photographs of me, and a couple of them might show me in my grey 800 shirt, which I DID bring and wore on the first day. I haven't got any photos of m'self, for obvious reasons.
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:55 am

No doubt with some amusing comments :D :wink:
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto