A selection of spotted stuff

Seen a Rover out and about? Find out if it was one of us.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: A selection of spotted stuff

Post by Lord Sterling » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:08 pm

Well, my last post of spots was popular wasn't it :D

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:20 pm

It's always a pleasure to look at mk1s and that red fastback is a beauty. If that Leg-end has the 2.5 V6 then it might make a good donor for a sick early Sterling/825
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lord Sterling » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:39 pm

If only I knew that Legend a few years ago, I might have had a shot at sorting my old 825 Sterling.

Hasnt 'Stuart' supposedly got a C-reg Sterling that needs an engine..... :lol:

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Richard Moss wrote:It's always a pleasure to look at mk1s and that red fastback is a beauty.
:D Well I didn't see that one coming... do want to tell him or shall I, Mo? :lol:

I think neither of us won the bet...
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:25 am

mjc9967 wrote:
Richard Moss wrote:It's always a pleasure to look at mk1s and that red fastback is a beauty.
:D Well I didn't see that one coming... do want to tell him or shall I, Mo? :lol:

I think neither of us won the bet...
I know that it's yours, Mark - but it's still a beauty. :)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:17 am

:wink: Aww thanks Rich. We were wondering who would spot it was mine and not a random spot
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:40 pm

GAH! MOAR 800s! OH NO.

Well, you've seen these already, its not much of a OmG SPOTTED! stuiff, more, I have now met the owners.......

I have had MANFLU over the weekend so have taken a day off work today. I decided to take the McSterling oot fae a raan as it had not been used for a couple of days. Initially reluctant to start, clicking and whatever, it eventually burst into life.

As part of the runabout, I'd decided to see a couple of 800s in my constituency, making myself some self-appointed Rover 800 representative. I'm already helping ole_Hayden out with his Sterling, so why shouldn't I do it with others.

First off I spotted the N-reg Sterling:

I have spoken to the owner a number of times over the phone but contacting her has been difficult, she confesses that she often loses her phone and misses people who call at the door, originally, my intention was to help her get the Sterling started and running for a bit, and maybe chuck a bucket of water over it, alas it didn't happen. I left hand-written message and posted it through her letter box, at least then she knows she can contact me, hopefully for once in my life, I shall actually have a hand in saving an 800.

Next on my list was this TASTY 820SLi:

I wrote out a note, but these things can get lost, so I wrote another one intending to post it, but I was'nae sure which house to post it, so I plumped to knock the door. I got speaking to the owner about his car. He had bought it for £200 a couple of years ago. I explained that if he needed any help/parts/advice, he could either telephone me or pop on this site.

3rd Car:

A Rover 820i SE. A very rare model of the mk2. I believe these only lasted a year or so and were intentionally supposed be a near Sterling-spec without the leather and V6 engine.

The auld_lad who owns this is 90 years old, so about the right age fae an average 800 owner. Its an manual and he still drives about everywhere in it. He has been driving since 1947. We had a small chat about his car and again, as with everyone else, I offered any advice/parts/help for free if ever he needed it.

Incidently, you will notice his passenger-side mirror has been broken off, he explained that this broke off after someone had passed by and knocked it off with a sports bag, he has a new one but decided to leave it off for fear of same thing happening again.

My hat is well and truly doffed to the owner of this car. 90 years old and is still as fit as a fiddle. Incidentally, the 820i SE is due for an MOT tomorrow, so good luck to him and the car. He has my details should he need help with the car.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:41 pm

Nice to see these finds, Mo. Keep on posting them up for us all to see.

As an aside, I was in Tewkesbury today and couldn't turn a corner without seeing a Rover 200/25. The place is bloody full of them.
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:01 pm

The Rover 820 SE was in production for a few months in 1994, Your Lordship. It boasted such features as ABS, a windscreen shadeband (!!), electric sunroof, electric rear windows, Windsor seat cloth and wood door trim inserts. The only option was metallic, black or Pearl paint. The option of auto was not available on this model - manual only. But a choice of 4 door or 5 doors was offered. They were £16495 which was £1500 more than the base 820 on which they were built.

Oh, and both the 820 and the 820SE enjoyed luxury, woolly floor mats and both were fitted as standard with the 15" Prestiges as shown on your old blokes car (items straight from the Sterling).
No longer an 800 owner!

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:30 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:Oh, and both the 820 and the 820SE enjoyed luxury, woolly floor mats and both were fitted as standard with the 15" Prestiges as shown on your old blokes car (items straight from the Sterling).
Hey hey! When you say '820' do you mean the base model or SLi? I know the 820i SE had woolly Sterling mats but any other 820 I didn't know about.

The auld-lads 820i SE doesn't have Sterling but it does have some sort of Rover 800 standard carpet mattage in there.mI'm gonna try and obtain some of these mats for Haydens Sterling and Don's 820i SE.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:29 am

Yes - the base, basic, cheapest 800, the plain old 820. Rover promoted this base model and it's value for money but £1500 more expensive brother, the 820SE, a lot in 1994.
No longer an 800 owner!

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Ah yes, I get it now! :shock: I just read through the Mk2 820 SE brochure. There was the 820 and 820 SE. The strange thing is, the brochure shows a Fastback with the early 16" 6-spoke alloys wheels and states that is what they come with as standard. Yet all the 820 SE's I've seen had Prestige alloys.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:59 pm

The brochure also states that the "wheels fitted may not be the same as those shown."
No longer an 800 owner!