Spotted in Croydon

Seen a Rover out and about? Find out if it was one of us.

Moderators: guru, SJG

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Well done, Brian. Enjoy your tea.
No longer an 800 owner!

The Professor
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by The Professor » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Interesting find and story too.
Thanks for the pictures.
Glyn
Image Image

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Glad I spotted this, and thanks Brian. I just dont have time before 7pm to get anywhere.

If she wants the tyres pumped up I keep a bike Track pump in the car, so can do it without any keys/power quickly.
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:13 pm

CHR15E wrote:It is black over grey then?

Almost looks like it doesn't have a sunroof from some of those pics.

Pretty sure you can that it has from the inside though?
Yeah, Black over Grey, with a sunroof. No apparent rust round the sun roof area either
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:17 pm

@ Brad: I'm sure Leonora will make a tasty cup of Yorkshire tea :D

@ Phil: Good spot, just round the corner but in a road I rarely drive along. At the end is a guy with a very nice P5B, or did have in the summer. Good idea about the tyres, I'll try and get her to let us do it, rear o/s is very flat.
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:34 am

I have not forgotten this car.

It is now for sale here:

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... rno/125672

I would like to save this car. It also has my mothers initials on the plate - LMB - Laura May Bennett
No longer an 800 owner!

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:03 am

I had a feeling that something was going on with this car. I have been round several times but received no reply. At one stage the driver's window had been broken and a black bin bag taped over it, and tyres pumped up a few times.. Phil and I visited a while back, but again no reply. It does appear to be worth saving. Shame, I am spending a few days up in the Midlands next week.
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:23 pm

I have spoken to the owners son, John. The plate J1 LMB is valued at over £1000 - he is ideally looking for £1500 for the plate and car together.

I can afford this but don't really want the hassle of selling the plate afterwards to recoup some cash. He doesn't want the expense and hassle of splitting the two either as it would mean getting the car MoT'd.

I am unsure what to do now so I shall have a think about this and see what a good night's sleep will do for my logic.

Brad
No longer an 800 owner!

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:39 pm

Is that plate valuation creditable? Is there any proof of the valuation? There is a cherised number plate company, name escapes me at the moment, in Wallington, but I believe they are a bit ott.

I would have thought that the bargaining is in your favour Brad. The hassle of seperating the two (car and plate), sorting the electrics, which he admits has been 'got at' by damp, fitting new tyres, and obtaining an MOT is not the sort of things he would want to undergo on such an 'old' car. As his Mother is over 80 (lovely lady), I can only guess at his age, but I bet he is not too spanner wise.

What would you consider a fair price for the car, given it's age, condition, lack of running and no MOT? Plus, a sensible amount for the plate, less the hassle of bringing it back to life?
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Lets put it this way.

DIL my old sterling did not need recmissioning, and had a private plate.
It was MOT'd and included the plate and Alex got it from me for under a grand.

Mal.

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:12 pm

I drove past this the other day. Same place. Same condition.

Basically a good solid car I think (hope).

If you want me/brian to go and have a good look, please let me know. Son lives just round the corner.
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:20 pm

schuwolf wrote:

What would you consider a fair price for the car, given it's age, condition, lack of running and no MOT? Plus, a sensible amount for the plate, less the hassle of bringing it back to life?
I think the valuation is fair.

However, I agree that there is an enormous amount of expense and hassle to get the plate removed for selling. After standing for so long, just getting an MoT might cost hundreds of pounds.

The owners son, John, rang me again tonight and asked if anyone from this Forum and who knows the area could recommend a Rover friendly garage who he could approach to get the car roadworthy for an MoT.

I have already offered £500 for the car as it stands. I might ring back tomorrow and offer £800 for the whole thing - plate included - in return he gets cash, no hassle, no outlay and deals with the friendliest 800 buying Brummie giant. :wink:
No longer an 800 owner!

chubbyschum

Spotted in Croydon

Post by chubbyschum » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:31 pm

The car belongs to my mother who acquired the car on the first day it was registered as the dealer registered it in his name first it was started and moved up to six months ago but now the electrics are playing up, Does anyone know anyone who might sympathetically repair/restore if so please contact me 07798857465 John

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:41 pm

Hello, John.

I am glad you found the site after my conversation earlier.

I may be wrong here, as personalised plates aren't my strongest subject, but I think the DVLA may be unable to transfer the plate as the car is neither taxed or SORN'd as far as I can see. As the car has been untaxed for more than a year, i think the plate has to stay on the car. here's the piece I pulled up from the DVLA site just now. No doubt i am wrong in my interpretation of the myriad of rules...

Conditions for transferring a registration number
You can’t transfer a registration number:

starting with ‘Q’ or ‘NIQ’ for Northern Ireland registered vehicles
if it will make the vehicle it’s being transferred to look younger

To transfer the registration number, both vehicles must be:

registered at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
available for inspection
of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
currently taxed
However, if the vehicle that currently has the registration number is not taxed, you can still apply to transfer provided:

There is no break between the date the tax disc runs out and the start of the SORN
The tax disc run out no more than 12 months before the date you apply
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:43 pm

Here's a link to the relevant information:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Pe ... DG_4022576
No longer an 800 owner!