Brad's Frontera Sport 2.0

Landrover, Range Rover, Jeep or whatever - off-road or not, this is the one.

Moderators: guru, SJG

47p2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by 47p2 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:08 pm

The newer Range Rovers are just like driving a car.

When I took the Classic out it felt different, sort of special what with a design that was conceived in the 60s, steering which was more Land Rover than luxury car, suspension roll which was something you have to try to believe and left you feeling sea sick and all this from a 1994 vehicle, but it still felt special when driving it.

Tidy looking Frontera Brad, they don't get great press but there were enough sold so plenty of parts should be available. I drove one earlier this year and they are surprisingly comfortable although I doubt their off road capabilities
JT

...........Image

InTheRover'Over'
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by InTheRover'Over' » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:23 pm

If you need tyres, look at paddockspares.com its mainly landrover but they do do grabby tyres of all sizes :)
No 800 owned at the moment, but i do own a very gay purple 216 coupe. Looking forward to rebuilding my 420 GSi Turbo :)

Known as Chris

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:36 pm

47p2 wrote:
Tidy looking Frontera Brad, they don't get great press but there were enough sold so plenty of parts should be available. I drove one earlier this year and they are surprisingly comfortable although I doubt their off road capabilities
I agree. I just need to get along ordinary roads in the snow and wade through some nasty muddy storm water when the heavens open or after a big thaw. I hope I don't need to use the car more than a few days a year.
No longer an 800 owner!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:57 am

Bit the bullet and bought some new Goodyear Wrangler tyres (did a deal at £60 each!) and a replacement set of Frontera alloys (2 new, 3 used) to put them on.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:44 am

Think this is going to prove a wise buy over the coming months.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:05 pm

Richard C wrote:Think this is going to prove a wise buy over the coming months.
I hope so. But I also hope I don't need it.
No longer an 800 owner!

Stewart
Regular Visitor

Post by Stewart » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:19 am

I should say I have nothing against the frontera, good looking, and probbly easy to fix like many GM products

Hoewever.. If you think the later range rovers are more reliable than the classics... only one thing to say... WRONG!!!! the P38a is a shockingly unrelaible car in comarison with some of the most complex badly made electric systems I have seen on any car (a quick scan on any of the Land Rover forums will confirm this rather quickly!). And the range rover classic in car terms is as complex as a model t ford, in fact I will put money on your frontera being more mechanically complex. I have found mine to be 100% once I had fixed all the issues that previous owners had neglected, much like 800s in that respect, once fixed properly they tend to stay that way!. In fact the range rover classic is still being made.. with a diffrent body its called the Defender (The original discovery was also a rebodies range rover). Best thing about it is everything on it is big, so nearly everything is easy to get at (apart from anything heater realated) and most spares seem to come with all the nuts and bolts, so if it's not budging, its out with the angle grinder!!

However I think scrap metal prices and scrappage may mean we have seen the last of the cheap RRCs
1999 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connesieur
1997 Citroen XM TCT VSX
1994 Citroen XM TCT Exclusive 5 speed, 1 of 2
1992 Range Rover Vouge SE 3.9 auto LPG
1985 VW Golf GTI
1975 MG Midget
1959 Austin Healey Sprite Mk1 (1380)

Stewart
Regular Visitor

Post by Stewart » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:18 pm

47p2 wrote:When I took the Classic out it felt different, sort of special what with a design that was conceived in the 60s, steering which was more Land Rover than luxury car, suspension roll which was something you have to try to believe and left you feeling sea sick and all this from a 1994 vehicle, but it still felt special when driving it.
Odd, mine is not bad at all (for what it is) has somone removed the anti roll bars? mind you a '94 would be air sprung, I think mine is one of the last to be on coils, its also one of the last to be catless despite being a 'K' plate. It's possible the lpg went on to get round the MOT issues this may have created..
1999 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connesieur
1997 Citroen XM TCT VSX
1994 Citroen XM TCT Exclusive 5 speed, 1 of 2
1992 Range Rover Vouge SE 3.9 auto LPG
1985 VW Golf GTI
1975 MG Midget
1959 Austin Healey Sprite Mk1 (1380)

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Stewart wrote:
Hoewever.. If you think the later range rovers are more reliable than the classics... only one thing to say... WRONG!!!! the P38a is a shockingly unrelaible car in comarison with some of the most complex badly made electric systems I have seen on any car
I agree that the 1995-2002 cars are pretty unreliable and were seriously underdeveloped and tested. I was referring to the latest cars, though, which seem very well made (2002 to date)

Bottom line for me, though, is that all I need is a simple, cheap truck to drive through some snowy lanes and standing water. I don't live in the Outer Hebrides and I don't want to climb a wall. I don't want to spend £30,000 or more.

Brad
No longer an 800 owner!

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:38 pm

I went into my local LR dearer a few weeks ago and enquired about used vehicles.

"You're in luck" the salesman replied "we have a lovely Range Rover over here" pointing to a 56 plate sitting in the corner and a price tag of £33k :shock:

"Too dear for my wallet" I said to which he replied "We don't keep anything over 5 years old, if they are older than that they get shipped down south to a dealer who buys them from us and sells them on"
JT

...........Image

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:59 pm

47p2 wrote:he replied "We don't keep anything over 5 years old, if they are older than that they get shipped down south to a dealer who buys them from us and sells them on"
Seems to be the attitude of most dealers these days. They used to keep anything. I suppose they are just keeping up with the times and peoples attitudes to 'not be seen in anything over 5 years old'

Lord Sterling

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:56 pm

MoT failed on:

Sidelight bulb blown - 50p bulb needed
Wiper blade come adrift from it's carrier (drivers side)
Exhaust tailpipe holed - new one £9

I have fixed all of this myself for £9.50.

MoT now passed.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Very Tall Brad wrote:Exhaust tailpipe holed - new one £9
Reasonable parts prices, then!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:13 pm

'Cos no one wants them, I guess. New Old Stock etc...
No longer an 800 owner!

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:54 pm

No cheap cars on ebay at the minute though.

Haven't a 4x4 of any sort I fancy for much under a grand. Are we expecting a bad winter?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold