"you're car may be standard only or ve vill make it illegal"

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

"you're car may be standard only or ve vill make it illegal"

Post by MG Mal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:20 am

Sounds like they are trying to push it through to standardise historic and normal road vehicles to "manufacturers spec or its not allowed". :shock:

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/armageddon/

gibbzy2k1
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: "you're car may be standard only or ve vill make it ille

Post by gibbzy2k1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:04 pm

Can't see that getting through. Imagine the number of companies that would put out of business or the number of "illegal" cars driving around.

Making MOTs stricter; yes. Clamping down on shoddy and downright dangerous aftermarket bodges; yes. The above is is step too far though. Especially as some things are an improvement when done properly. If the car is roadworthy and safe to both road users, passengers and pedestrians then it should be fine, there is no need to take it to the extreme.

Who thinks this was thought up buy someone living next to a boy racer.... lol
"Hey, let's be careful out there"

Callen
1994 Rover 820 Vitesse Sport *RIP
2005 MG ZS+ 115
1997 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe
1998 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:05 pm

"Facepalm" moment from brussels again....
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:54 pm

See this is what pisses me off about men(and women) in grey suits, all the problems that europe face and they sit there and come up with this crap, and we pay them to do it. Too much time on their hands and too many of them. Its time to rip up the Lisbon Treaty and tell Brussels to Foxtrot Oscar.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

Dajazar
Rover Guru

Post by Dajazar » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 pm

dollysprint wrote:See this is what pisses me off about men(and women) in grey suits, all the problems that europe face and they sit there and come up with this crap, and we pay them to do it. Too much time on their hands and too many of them. Its time to rip up the Lisbon Treaty and tell Brussels to Foxtrot Oscar.

Dave
+1. As they say "the devil makes work for idle hands" :twisted:
Tracy
Love my cars
Rover 827 Sterling SOLD
Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 For Sale
Honda CRV 2.0

MikeMedford
Rover Guru

Post by MikeMedford » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:52 pm

If that did pass, imagine how many companies would go bust, how many people would lose their jobs and how much taxes the government would be losing out on.

Also how much revenue insurance companies would lose out on, a fair few that I had quotes from before increased policy by 40% just for having aftermarket wheels!

simon
Rover Guru

Post by simon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:48 pm

dollysprint wrote:See this is what pisses me off about men(and women) in grey suits, all the problems that europe face and they sit there and come up with this crap, and we pay them to do it. Too much time on their hands and too many of them. Its time to rip up the Lisbon Treaty and tell Brussels to Foxtrot Oscar.

Dave

You are right it becoues of them we don't have the harrier jump jet any more we all have to be the same. some time a go they tried to get a limit on motor bikes to 100 bhp that got stooped. Brussels should go and find a big hole and jump in it and stop sticking there noise in stuff that don't do any harm to any one.
Simon & Jane.

Rover 825sd 229,000.
Rover SD1 V8 VDP 126,000 will get running this year.
2 rover 75's

neilc

Post by neilc » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 pm

There is a very strong chance this will become law.It is slipping through "under the radar" as revisions/consolidations of previous EU regulations. This is one where you can't sit back and hope it doesn't become law - it probably will. Write to your MP today asking them to address the concerns of the UK historic car movement to the Secretary of State for Transport.

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:36 am

Ok guys try this one for size.

One of the memebers of the land rover series 2 club contacted the DfT and below are his questions and they're answer...............

I've finally had a response from the DfT press officer I contacted, and it doesn't make good reading.

This is what I asked (I've taken out the preamble - I'd already spoken to them on the phone).

Basically I've currently got two key questions:

1) Do you know what further approval for vehicle modifications is likely to consist of? Are we looking at sending all modified vehicles for an IVA or similar, or just getting the MOT man to tick a box? In the event of universal IVA testing for modifications, what is likely to happen wrt vehicle identities, registration marks, and deemed age of manufacture?

2) What is likely to happen for existing modified and custom vehicles, particularly wrt classic vehicles which fall outside the EU documents definition of historic (e.g. because of an engine conversion).

This is the response I got:

Hi John

With regard to your earlier query, question one we are currently unable to answer.

2) If responding on the basis that we are dealing with the proposals as currently written, if a vehicle does not classify as historic due to having been modified it cannot be tested as it no longer meets the original type approval.

However, this is yet to be clarified. The Department for Transport is seeking clarification from the EU Commission and will be attending a number of meetings in September to do so.

Hope this helps
So unless more clarification is given, then any vehicle currently classified as historic, that has been modified in anyway "cannot be tested".

AcuteViewer
Regular Visitor

Post by AcuteViewer » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:01 am

I fail to see the point of being 'in' Europe. I frequently read 'Fortune' magazine, that my wife brings home from her employer (a large US multinational). It is an unashamedly vocal advocate for all things US and it is fiercely critical of the EU. And it is mostly right. Not my opinion there, but historically it has called things accurately. Until it turns its eye on the US where it is rather blinkered.

Just what is the EU doing in all these minute regulations and laws? Where do they originate? How can it all be stopped? My own pet hate, as I have written elsewhere in this forum, is the running lights directive. Why was this introduced? They are awful and, as far as I can see, most are fitted illegally, remaining on when the main lights are on. Or worse, a driver only uses the running lights and has no rear illumination.

And don't get me started on H&S legislation.

We should have stayed out like other successful peripheral European countries; ones that valued their culture and independence in a way that we seem to have forgotten. Or we should leave or forever be manacled to bankrupt states that have no history of fairness or democracy. Lets not forget that many of the countries that have been allowed in were only recently despotic dictatorships or corrupt 'communist' regimes. And we've allowed all this onto our streets and into lives.

Is Japan in the EU? Is Australia or New Zealand? They seem to be doing OK. Let's face the reality - the Common Market was designed to stop Germany always invading France and to allow inefficient farmers to peddle their wares and to keep Italy together. Everything since has been a gravy train.
:roll:
Graham
1991 827 Sterling British Racing Green
1993 Toyota Estima 4WD auto
1979 Reliant Scimitar GTE auto
'The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.'
Cornelius Tacitus