Social Media

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Social Media

Post by tonewheeldude » Sat May 16, 2015 12:08 pm

Regarding the rover800.info facebook group. Who runs that?

Not a complaint - just an observation. I would like to participate, but not as a public group. The reason is, I use facebook mainly for work so almost all of my so called 'friends' are colleagues. I got fed up of remarks about the 800 so stopped posting there and left the group. I wondered if anyone else feels the same about open groups? I do not like sharing my personal life with work colleagues, but I am in a few closed groups, one very big and its good to be able to comment there without having comments at work.
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

Tenesmus
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Social Media

Post by Tenesmus » Sun May 17, 2015 11:57 am

Most of my colleagues are Facebook friends too. If I get any stick about anything, they get it back, bigtime, and that includes my senior managers.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Sun May 17, 2015 11:54 pm

Never mix work and pleasure on social media. ..
It never ends well :-(
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon May 18, 2015 3:05 am

Many of my Facebook friends are work colleagues (or former work colleagues) but I don't think that any of us use it for work-based activity. OK, there are plenty of posts about aviation but not actual company stuff. Almost all of those people are actual, real-life friends too, and I rarely add people to my friends list just because of work connections.

The 800 Facebook page was set up by us (if I remember right, Simon set it up) but runs in parallel to this forum rather than being a part of it. The discussions are very lightly moderated and in the whole time that it has been running we've only had to take action on a very small number of issues and had to ban 3-4 people for deeply offensive or irritating.

The problem with Facebook is that it's difficult to treat like an archive - the forum is much better reference tool for tracking threads and finding information at a later date
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Richard Moss wrote:The problem with Facebook is that it's difficult to treat like an archive - the forum is much better reference tool for tracking threads and finding information at a later date
Dead right, Rich.

However your post suffers from being far too factual and objective... Required rant and emotive response below for balance :wink:

Soshal Meeja, innit? :roll:

The Nana Mouskouri letterbox glasses* wearing kidult generation thinks "conversations" trump "threads" in all ways. Except they don't actually serve the purpose that threads serve. (*narrowness of lenses inversly proportional to self perceived intelligence) Let playground talk stay in the playground, not captured and frozen in time for all eternity. Probably guilty of playground talk there myself :wink:

I'm with Noam Chomsky - whenever he had to make a purchasing decision he asked himself the question "to what problem is this the solution?" No answer = no purchase. It's all change for change's sake I'm afraid...

Now, where do I update my "status" (whatever that is/means) on this forum? :wink:

Pipe, slippers, quilted jacket firmly in place!
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Mon May 18, 2015 7:23 pm

mjc9967 wrote:
I'm with Noam Chomsky - whenever he had to make a purchasing decision he asked himself the question "to what problem is this the solution?" No answer = no purchase.
Now I DO like that and need to apply it more rigorously (to the wife) ................ :lol:
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.