How hard does it have to be?

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Andrewg11rover
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How hard does it have to be?

Post by Andrewg11rover » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:19 pm

So, Mrs G has finally persuaded me that we need some new flooring. (I quite like our old floor - even though the laminate 'planks' do slide about a bit, it's quite fun. And the 'distressed' look is tres chic, non?) The entire house - 110 square metres (we live in a bungalow). Checked some prices and had to have a little lie down... I did the entire house myself 12 years ago for about three grand. Anyway, what with work pressures I decided that I would Get a Man In. Using a website I found three blokes who seemed anxious for the work, and who promised to come round to give me a quotation:

Bloke 1 turns up at the allotted hour. Measures up using a laser thingy which produce a highly accurate measurement in no time at all. Talks knowledgably to me about challenges and options. Promises a quotation in my inbox that evening - which duly arrives. On the juicy side, mind you...

Bloke 2 turns up at the allotted hour. A sweet Polish guy. Measures up by going round the house on his hands and knees with a tape measure, then does some sums using a pencil (which I have to lend to him) and paper (which I have to lend him) and a calculator (which I have to lend him). Promises me a quotation by text that evening - which duly arrives four days later with an apology because he has been so busy. Quite cheap.

Bloke 3 doesn't show at all.

Guess who got the work?

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How hard does it have to be?

Post by MG Mal » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:24 pm

Bloke no.2, as he may have been late in quoting you, but the fact that he's busy, means he's in demand, and therefore a good sign that he does quality work.

Bloke one can shove it as he quotes high so that he can buy all the "nice toys" to make him look like a pro, but is likely a disaster.

Bloke 3? well, he's still in the pub spending his giro, pretending to know what he's talking about.

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:58 pm

none of them, your going to do it yourself.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:34 pm

None - you're having carpet instead and saving yourself a fortune on heating bills!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!