what happened to lord sterling

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: what happened to lord sterling

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:58 pm

midnite wrote:why did they invent the toledo, why not just the dolopmite, my mate has a mint restored orange dolly sprint.

The plan was to have a small, front wheel drive "compact saloon" in the mid-late 60s as it seemed there was a trend towards that. Realising they had some unstuck, they converted it to RWD form and slightly bigger to create the Dolomite. They kept the options open though as they also made the 1500TC - a FWD "Dolomite" using the same bodyshell. As such all Dolomite shells can be set up for either FWD or RWD. Strange but true!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

vito
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by vito » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:02 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
The plan was to have a small, front wheel drive "compact saloon" in the mid-late 60s as it seemed there was a trend towards that. Realising they had some unstuck, they converted it to RWD form and slightly bigger to create the Dolomite. They kept the options open though as they also made the 1500TC - a FWD "Dolomite" using the same bodyshell. As such all Dolomite shells can be set up for either FWD or RWD. Strange but true!
Genuinely fascinating, the level of education to be gained on this forum
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:44 pm

Once upon a time i was after a Dolomite and spent many hours glued to the TDC (Triumph Dolomite Club) Forum. Also did various bits and pieces of research on it - i'm just amazed i remember any of it now! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by SJG » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:09 am

So, I wonder how Mo is?
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:39 am

I think you mat have to wander over to autoshite to find that one Simon, make sure you have your wellies on :lol:
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:00 am

scoobyh123 wrote:It could for example be suggested that as Triumph sold the engine to Saab, they had finished with it so the T-Series would be the nearest "in-house" 2.0 16 valve engine available - certainly in 2.0, 4 cylinder format.
I've heard that the O series was being considered and tested for fitment to both the MGB and TR7 as it was so much cheaper to produce than the B or slant 4, more reliable and with no performance penalty. Which would validate your claim that both engines are a natural progression. But only the slant 4 was actually fitted to the TR, so the Saab engine "triumphs" for me.
scoobyh123 wrote:These were the last of the "Red Block" Volvo engines, the subsequent T-5 engines were all Ford influenced "White Block" engines and as such don't have the lineage to even think of conjuring up a reasoned argument for saying they are a natural progression.
I think we've had this discussion face to face. :lol: The Volvo Modular Engine, otherwise known as white block was conceived and in production nearly 10 years before Fomoco got their cost cutting claws into Volvo. The pre ford versions were pretty much unkillable, but post 2000 the ford effect became became apparent. Worse, some versions started being made in Bridgend rather than Skovde complete with engineered-in ford faults like iffy timing gear and weak head gaskets.

Geely are now investing billions of dollars to undo volvo's reliance on ford components and reinstate Volvo's reputation for highly engineered quality vehicles. Having had a look around the new XC90, it seems to be overengineered to 7/900 series levels.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:47 am

rovercoup wrote:I think you mat have to wander over to autoshite to find that one Simon, make sure you have your wellies on :lol:
I don't think I will bother thanks :lol: :lol:

This is extreme thread drift!!!!!
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:38 pm

traineefarmer wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:It could for example be suggested that as Triumph sold the engine to Saab, they had finished with it so the T-Series would be the nearest "in-house" 2.0 16 valve engine available - certainly in 2.0, 4 cylinder format.
I've heard that the O series was being considered and tested for fitment to both the MGB and TR7 as it was so much cheaper to produce than the B or slant 4, more reliable and with no performance penalty. Which would validate your claim that both engines are a natural progression. But only the slant 4 was actually fitted to the TR, so the Saab engine "triumphs" for me.
scoobyh123 wrote:These were the last of the "Red Block" Volvo engines, the subsequent T-5 engines were all Ford influenced "White Block" engines and as such don't have the lineage to even think of conjuring up a reasoned argument for saying they are a natural progression.
I think we've had this discussion face to face. :lol: The Volvo Modular Engine, otherwise known as white block was conceived and in production nearly 10 years before Fomoco got their cost cutting claws into Volvo. The pre ford versions were pretty much unkillable, but post 2000 the ford effect became became apparent. Worse, some versions started being made in Bridgend rather than Skovde complete with engineered-in ford faults like iffy timing gear and weak head gaskets.

Geely are now investing billions of dollars to undo volvo's reliance on ford components and reinstate Volvo's reputation for highly engineered quality vehicles. Having had a look around the new XC90, it seems to be overengineered to 7/900 series levels.

You're right Tom - i'm getting my decades a bit mixed! I thought Ford bought Volvo about the same time as it bought Jaguar in 1989 but they didn't buy Volvo until 1999 according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Cars so yes, there was a hiatus of about a decade before things went pear (oval!) shaped for Volvos quality.

As i said, i think all the "newer" engines have their merits as potential natural progressions, it could also be argued that the Dolomite would have a "K"ettle under the bonnet if it was produced today.

As for Mo, we didn't entirely forget him Simon - just got a bit sidetracked! :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:51 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:it could also be argued that the Dolomite would have a "K"ettle under the bonnet if it was produced today.
The K's (and M/T) lean burn tech supposedly owed an awful lot to the combustion chamber work carried out by Spen King's team on the 16v sprint engine...
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:02 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Hmm, with the 75/ZT aimed at a "younger" market than the 800, it might be suggested some members of that forum need to grow up then?
Well I'm 22....

I've met Lord Sterling, he's a nice guy.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:31 pm

You're an exception that proves the rule Sam! :wink: :D :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:10 pm

I know, I think it's turning me old. The other day I went to a garden centre on my day off...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:44 pm

Captain Sensible wrote:I know, I think it's turning me old. The other day I went to a garden centre on my day off...
Worrying.................... :shock:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Captain Sensible
Regular Visitor

Post by Captain Sensible » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:01 pm

My garden is looking lovely though!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:19 pm

Captain Sensible wrote:My garden is looking lovely though!
Even more worrying.................. :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Joking aside, garden centres are necessary evils that must be made use of to improve the environs your 800 is kept in to enhance any photo opportunities that present themselves. Likewise supermarkets to provide sustenance for the extended periods of time spent lavishing TLC on your trusty steed. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate