Have I missed something?

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

rovercoup
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Have I missed something?

Post by rovercoup » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:07 pm

I find the whole thing very sad when most people have good intentions for helping to preserve what is a fantastic marquee and brand of car only for it to end in bun fights between factions or splinter groups.

I for one will support any forum,club,debate group that is attached to the rover group/brand as my heart will always lie with cars as they always have done. I expect if we were ford or Vauxhall then we would see exactly the same thing. Self deprication is not a one man show
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by SJG » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:50 pm

I agree Steve, that is why I lost interest in us forming a club from the debates that were held a few years ago.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:42 pm

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!

It seems someone has set this "new" group/club up very surreptitiously. Nobody in the main part of this forum appears to have known anything about it and certainly Mals comments that he was asked to "keep his nose out" for want of a better phrase because his actions were "damaging to the new group" suggests it doesn't bear investigation.
Could it be that someone has got some kind of grudge against this forum and is determined to at the very least undermine it, possibly cause its eventual downfall due to loss of members to the "new group"? Let's not forget we had a nasty cyber attack only a year or two back. That wasn't successful, we are still here so maybe they are trying a more subtle approach?

Fair enough, i may be wrong and it is totally unconnected, completely innocent and done for the good of the marque. If so then i apologise. However, the manner in which it has been done and the comments made to Mal make me think it is all very "cloak and dagger" stuff. If a group can form with that kind of deceipt, how will it be run? Would the members be able to trust the "management" of a group like that?
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

scoubix16
Regular Visitor

Post by scoubix16 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:49 pm

If Tanya Field, as I suspect, is the one behing the creation of this Rover 800 Club, then I for one expect good things out of it, I do not know the lady personally but I know she's been behind Pride of Longbridge and the Cowley convoy to PoL each and every year, and acts constantly for the preservation of the Rover marque and its heritage, both at Longbridge and Cowley. So really, let's see how this pans out but I'm more than interested...
'93 Rover 827 Coupé - LHD
'99 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur - Dealer Launch - LHD
'04 MG ZT-T 260 SE (V8) - Ex-Longbridge 75 V8 Tourer development car - LHD

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:24 pm

All I did was ask if anyone knew about it, and expressed the opinion that the way it was done was "underhanded" by not informing/discussing with the existing admin etc.

This is apparently "Stirring up trouble", so I have not commented on the thread on the FB page since.

I can say that the P.C. staffer who posted it on the magazines FB page seemed surprised that we as a group had no knowledge of it.

I'm not against a club forming if that is what people want, I was and am against they way it was announced, especially after all the hard work put into the forum and events the owners here attend each year.

They should have at least announced their intentions before hand and Invited the forum to join them in a united front.

(just my opinion or stirring it up to you)

Mal.

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:40 pm

This is all as straightforward as the press release says. Craig and my name were attached to it because Craig did the press release (it's what he does for a living) and I am able to get the venue free of charge, so I'm a good contact for people wanting to know about the venue. The reality is that there are a small group of interested people who would like to look at forming a club, so have decided to do so and invite anyone who wants to be involved to come along and have an input. That's as far as it has got, so we're not at a point to consult with anyone. This it is an open meeting for all with an interest to come along and share their views of what a club should look like with the hope of forming a club, and also to look at some ideas for next year, Rover 800's 30th.

Personally, I hope not to have a too significant role within the club as I already have a significant number of BLARG/Cowley commitments, however as someone who worked on 800s for a short period and has a real fondness for them, I would like to be involved in some way.

While I cannot comment on what the yet to be formed club will be doing, I would hope and believe that it would want to work with all those with an interest in Rover 800, so 800.info, RSR, Alex with the NEC stand etc. I would assume that it would look to do the usual of promoting and preserving the cars, and I also hope it will be fun too, as these cars are a hobby for many of us so fun is important, well it is to me!

I've contacted MINI Plant Oxford today who have told me that they'll ask their internal comms to let the workforce know about the meeting, in case any of those who worked on 800s would like to come up and see what's going and maybe get involved. It would be great if we could have a few 800s there on the day, so any former employees who come along have some of the cars they worked on to admire (and also tell you about various bodges etc!). Previously I’ve found getting info to Plant employees this way a bit hit and miss - it seems to depend on Team Leaders as this sort of info is given verbally. I'll also contact the local paper and BBC Radio station, in the hope of reaching other former 800 workers.

So, if you want to get involved or just find out what's happening, please do come along. If you can't make the meeting but have ideas for the club, views on what it should be doing, would like to be involved etc please send an email to rover800ownersclub@gmail.com. Please note this is temporary email address purely set up for this meeting. It would be lovely to see as many people as possible, and of course 800s too. Sadly, I won't have my 800 with me (but he's off with Practical Classics doing good stuff for 800s), but it would be lovely to see your 800s if they're on the road.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:11 pm

Tanya,

As you will know well, we on this forum have discussed the formation of a club on a number of occasions but nothing has ever come of it. All credit to you and your colleagues for taking the initiative and getting something done.

Hopefully everything will work out well for the members and their cars and that all concerned will benefit. Some people will not want to join a "formal" club, others will, and I am sure that this forum will continue to provide a service for all 800 owners.

I plan to keep an open mind about this and hope for the best
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:18 pm

I too can't see a problem with a member of a forum setting up a club as a seperate entity.
It's not like Tanya is asking anyone on here to dump 800.info in favour of the 800 Owners Club was she ?
I also liked the idea of our (sorry, Richard's) forum being associated with the Rover Owners Club without actually becoming a club.
it will be interesting to follow the new arrival onto the 800 scene to see if it will benefit everyone.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:06 am

It's not my forum - it belongs to the members. The only bit that is 'mine' is the ownership of the domain name.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:07 am

Good luck Tanya - sounds like a wonderful idea. The more people find out about the 800 and are persuaded that they deserve the attention that other classic cars get, the better.

And Mal - I don't imagine for a second that anyone here would have believed your intentions were born out of anything other than your desire to ensure that an existing 800 community were aware of this new and separate development and had the opportunity to play a part. You've provided too much invaluable assistance along the way to too many people for anyone to think you were stirring up trouble.

I'm sure I'll be following this new club closely - it'll be nice to see what may come of it and good luck to Tanya and Craig. Hopefully it'll bolster membership of the forum at the same time.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:58 pm

Richard Moss wrote:It's not my forum - it belongs to the members. The only bit that is 'mine' is the ownership of the domain name.
I know but it sometimes seems you'the daddy !
mercedade wrote: And Mal - I don't imagine for a second that anyone here would have believed your intentions were born out of anything other than your desire to ensure that an existing 800 community were aware of this new and separate development and had the opportunity to play a part. You've provided too much invaluable assistance along the way to too many people for anyone to think you were stirring up trouble.
Hear ! Hear !
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:43 pm

why the need for another sort of club then, also who the hell are all those people with 800s on the Facebook page.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:04 pm

For all those who are interested in coming to the meeting on Sunday 4th October, this Facebook event has the agenda and directions - https://www.facebook.com/events/393082404149651/. Apparently the Facebook event should be visible to non Facebook users as well as Facebook users, but please shout if it's not.

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:43 pm

all i care about is the fact that the 800 gets more well known and better pr, we all will benefit, i don't see the point of a club as such as the forum and Facebook page is good enough, but if someone wants to do it then superb, it takes a lot to run a club with little or no thanks. so i can only commend tanya on doing so.

as long as values don't rise, i aint paying £15k for an 820e mk1
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

Dickie524
Regular Visitor

Post by Dickie524 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi folks - I missed this thread, but I think it's great - as mentioned, this has been debated - now someone has just got on with it, and, as stated, it's not like we're being asked to pick between the two. I say bring it on, however I think this forum is a fantastic place and an absolute goldmine for new, mid, and long-terrm owners alike (I'd put myself as just transitioning between new and mid-term).

well done.

I should have clocked this as when I looked at car insurance recently, one of the owners clubs in the drop-down list was Rover 800 OC!!
Richard
(1997 820Si / LPG)