Have I missed something?

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Have I missed something?

Post by MG Mal » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:16 am

I know I'm not on here as often as I'd liked, but I thought the "Do we become a club" discussion had been settled to "Stay as we are"?

Then this pop's up?

http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/news/c ... -800-fans/

vito
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Have I missed something?

Post by vito » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:26 am

Long overdue, will be interesting to see who's behind it.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:34 am

At the moment on the Facebook page, there is more "concern" than celebration of the announcement Gary.

Especially if it's being done without the forum's knowledge or agreement.

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:58 am

The 'forum' is pewrhaps not the 800 'voice' of the 800 world, perhaps it represents a a minority of 800 ownership, the majority of such are maybe not affiliated with the forum and feel in view of the 30th Anniversary there's a requirement for a formal club irrespective of the views of the forum, maybe we'll never know, like I said, be interestinmg to know who's behind it.

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:06 am

From Practical Classics Mag when asked who the source was:
Release came from Tanya or Craig at rover800ownersclub@gmail.com
Now I'm all for the forum progressing over time, and expected it to become a formal club at some point in the future when numbers of owners / members increased to a level that "out grew" the current way we are.

But to do this without the knowledge of the forum, or it's admin is wholly "Underhand" and down right out of order in my opinion.

Mal.
Last edited by MG Mal on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:13 am

It seems that to qualify for membership, not only do you need to own an 800 (or two or more) but must turn up at the old Cowley Plant (now MINI Oxford) on October 4th at 1 o'clock.

Many people i've met that use Faceache seem to think the world starts and ends with it and as such won't have thought further than their noses about the fact a forum/unofficial club already exists.

Be interesting to see how long and if it lasts!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:15 am

It's been set up by a forum member! So they certainly know it exists!

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:44 am

Gaz, will this disrupte or influence any progress into the planned JRC meeting at Gaydon in November?
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:31 pm

No idea Stevo, as yet we have no volunteer for that meeting as I'm overseas, hopefully this new spinoff club can assume the mantle with JRC, they've certainly got my blessing to give 800 some official recognition at last and just in time for next years anniversary.

And in respect of broaching it on the forum first, frankly I'm not surprised they didn't perhaps want to expose themselves to the vitreol, bile and general offensiveness we all witnessed a couple of weeks ago and just went on and did it for the benefit of the 800 brand.

What I will add on edit is that it is absolutely nothing to do with me or with my knowledge.

deano
Rover Guru

Post by deano » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:50 pm

So who are Tanya and Craig then ?

Dont remember seeing them names on here at all.....
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:08 pm

deano wrote:So who are Tanya and Craig then ?

Dont remember seeing them names on here at all.....
Assuming it is the same person Tanya posts fairly regularly on the forum and owns a lovely Tickford turbo.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:22 pm

I am with Gary on this one, it sounds a great idea and I will join. I certainly knew nothing about it, and if people on here are not happy perhaps we should have set up a club when we first discussed it and had plenty more active forum users. Sadly the only thing we managed to do was get nowhere by bickering and demonstrating an apathy towards forming a club. So if someone else has done it good luck to them. Perhaps there should have been some communication, but we have already demonstrated that we cannot get anywhere.

It will not stop me posting on here, this forum has been and is a part of my social life and I have made some good friends from it and most importantly it will not detract from my love of this marque and my coupé.
Simon

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:28 pm

Just a note:

I was surprised to see the announcement in the attached link to my initial post.
And then to see it repeated by Practical classics, and then AROnline when to the best of my knowledge no one here had a clue about it.

It has been pointed out to me now, that maybe more knew about it than I first thought.

It has also been stated to me, that my enquiry into this both on the Facebook Page and the forum is "damaging" and therefore I shall say no more on the matter.

If Admin wishes to remove the thread, please do so, as I had no intention of damaging the forum or the group.

Mal.

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:40 pm

I certainly don't think what you have said is damaging Mal. Why would someone think that?
Simon

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:45 pm

Apparently my request for info led to a debate where myself and others where not happy about the way it was announced etc.

So I am apparently "Stirring up the hornets nest" which could damage the forum/new club etc.

That's all, I don't want to be responsible for a slanging match on here, I know there were opposing sides to forming a club, and the last thing I want to do is drag all that up again.