Windows 10 DVD/CD-ROM drive missing after upgrade

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Windows 10 DVD/CD-ROM drive missing after upgrade

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:46 pm

Has anyone else had this problem? Both my laptop and my desktop upgraded from Win7 to Win10 recently in the "free upgrade" hyped to the moon and back by Microsoft.

For ages (about 3 months) the laptop didn't even acknowledge the fact it has a DVD/CD-ROM drive installed as in it showed nothing in Device Manager where it previously showed them. About a week ago (after quite a big update but not Windows 2015) the laptop suddenly showed "DVD/CD-ROM Drives" in Device Manager where it had previously shown diddly-squat and the optical drive started working again.

However, the desktop still doesn't show anything in Device Manager and the optical drive might as well be a block of wood for all the good it does in the machine. Maybe now would be a good time to mention the laptop upgraded first and i had to wait another week or so before the desktop caught up.

Do i need to be patient a while longer for my desktop to get back to the real world or do i need to investigate whether the oprical drive isn't compatible with Win10 or is there a software patch that i can find independently of the auto-updates to download and fix this incredibly annoying problem?

Any suggestions/help gratefully recieved and thanks in advance! :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

vito
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Windows 10 DVD/CD-ROM drive missing after upgrade

Post by vito » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Sounds like a driver issue Dave, you could force a windows update check through the control panel/security centre see if it picks it up
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:00 pm

Normally i'd agree with you Gaz (in fact normally i'd agree with anyone on a software problem as i know zilch about software - just don't get it!) but................

1) There are countless requests from people the world over on Microsofts help page
2) The suggestion of drivers has been raised and the "boffins" have discounted it as the computer doesn't even recognise there is an optical drive installed (in the "old" days, it would still recognise it and just tell you it wasn't functioning due to lack of correct driver)
3) Some people appear to have found a solution but they haven't published how they did it
4) Some have even bought new optical drives with the software included for Windows10 and their computers still haven't recognised it.

As you can guess i've tried researching it and come up against many briick walls so i was hoping there would be someone on here that might be either "in the know" or have managed to get some sense from Microsoft.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

vito
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by vito » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:14 pm

And this is why I've left 10 alone, Microsoft don't usually get it right until SP 1 or 2, I remember fighting updating win95 to 98 back in the day :D
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:47 pm

This was my first experience of a "new" operating system so lesson learned on that one! Guess i'll have to wait for the next update on my desktop.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:57 pm

I was surprised by Windows 7 that it doesn't show an optical drive in explorer until there's a disc in it. Once the disc is removed the drive disappears again.
I'm sticking with 7 for now, 10 doesn't interest me. Seems every other release of Windows is pretty shit. Win 98 wasn't bad, Millenium edition was not that good, XP brilliant, Vista no comment, 7 ok and then 8 and 9(sorry, 10) are more for touch screens I think.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:02 pm

Weird - mine always showed the presence of a drive even without a disc inserted although if i left a disc of any description in it then it would show whatever that disc was.

As for the previous operating systems i have to agree that XP was the best. If they had simply updated XP with the addition of touchscreen and a better laptop version instead of what seems like a total redesign from the ground up, i reckon they could have had a winner with much better backwards compatibility.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate