"Typical!"

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

"Typical!"

Post by MG Mal » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:59 pm

Having had an intermitent starting issue,which is slowly getting worse, reading up on the tech sections confirms my suspicions of either main relay or ignition / igniter issue.

Turns out, the only spare ignition units I have are for Auto's not manuals, so don't have the two plug points.

Then I find that the top dizzy cap bolt has sheared!. looks like stripping out the air box etc this weekend, so we can drill out the old bolt and get to the rounded off lower bolt!.

Anyone fancy trading a believed good auto igniter for a manual one (unit on inner wing) (came from Mr Ellis' stock of spares some time ago)

Mal.

gyrobird
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: "Typical!"

Post by gyrobird » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:34 pm

MG Mal wrote: intermittent starting issue, the only spare ignition units I have are for Auto's not manuals, so don't have the two plug points.

Anyone fancy trading a believed good auto igniter for a manual one (unit on inner wing) (came from Mr Ellis' stock of spares some time ago)

Mal.
The igniter is universal.

Have you got a photo of both as I'm sure the igniter is just a four pin plug.

An intermittent starting issue will not be down to a dodgy igniter as when they pop they just pop like it did when I had one.

I'm assuming you are talking about the good old 827.

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:44 pm

mine has two round plugs on the front under the king lead. my spares do not.

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:48 pm

MG Mal wrote:mine has two round plugs on the front under the king lead. my spares do not.
Oh, You are talking about the coil.

Thats an early one isn't it. I think that changed around 1990 to the one connection. nothing to do with manual or auto,or the igniter, just a later coil.

there are these on ebay...

eBay item number:221991816407 (this on is the early one).

eBay item number:271842227678 (this one is the later one)

eBay item number:291661855338 (this one is even cheaper 8) )

I would say the starting issue is the main relay under the dash

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:03 pm

Oops my bad....

Mines a 93/4 827i so not exactly "early" wonder why it has the earlier set up of coil?

gyrobird
Regular Visitor

Post by gyrobird » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:29 pm

MG Mal wrote: Mines a 93/4 827i so not exactly "early" wonder why it has the earlier set up of coil?
It looks like they went back to it but that is defo the earlier one. Strange people at Rover. looking through my photo's I have the same one on my old 93 sterling too. :)