Who's still active?

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

mjc9967
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Who's still active?

Post by mjc9967 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:46 pm

I'm with you Tom. Soshul Meedja... ugh!!! Just makes adults regress into the playground idiots they were years ago, glad to leave all that behind thank you very much!

I pop in a few times a day most days. Activity has def dropped off a huge amount in the last year. The loss of some big posters hasn't helped, like Brad and Mo

I suppose some of it is saturation of the knowledge base. There has been so much put up on here and discussed and resolved that was always going to be a diminishing stream of traffic. I tend to try and limit my wafflings to things I have experienced or have a reason to think I might know something about - hence not very much!!!

I wish we had some regular posters of cars for sale though. I really enjoyed clicking through what people had found for sale (especially Mo's). There are usually a few out there for sale when I bother to look, but laziness prevents me from being the keeper of the "for sale" listings...

I do hope this forum doesn't completely die, as it were...
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:20 pm

nice to know your still alive Vard i'm still here lurking in the background and the odd post... regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:53 pm

Social media has it's place. It's quick and easily accessible, and to a degree, less clickly than some. But I don't think it can replace forums, nothing on technical information and knowledgeable people.

90% of the people I talk to on a daily basis I met through forums, mainly either this one or Rovertech. That, you're not going to replicate through Facebook.

I'll be around a little more often from now on, it looks like. Last night, agreed to buy the lovely '93 Flame Red Fastback that popped up again on eBay, so soon enough I will be a Vitesse owner once more.
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi
1995 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:08 pm

Congrats on being an 800 owner again Vard! Not sure i agree with you on anti-social media though, it's responsible for a lot of trouble in the world today!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:28 am

Cheers Dave.

I'm genuinely quite possibly as excited as I have ever been, looking like Mal will be able to help me collect it next Saturday, I can't wait.
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:31 am

It's nice when you can still get that excitement about a car! I've owned something in the region of about 240 cars (some for only a day, one only for 20 minutes :lol: ) but in recent times i've only got excited over three cars, all of which are in my signature.

Good luck with the collection, hope it all goes well! If it turns out there's a few bits you need give me a shout, i recently broke a late 825 Si and while most of the bits that are left are body panels, i do have a few other bits that fit most 800s.

Will we be seeing you at the Peterborough BL show next year then? :?: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:05 pm

It is. It's been nine years of searching for the right one again after my first '98 Flame Red Vitty Fastback.

This one in fact was on eBay two years ago, and I inquired about it then, but the fella got hacked off with stupid offers to 'take it off his hands' and put it back into dry storage. Messaged him about it this time and he pointed that out, bizarre coincidence, but I thought it was rude to not at least go and have a look being that this was the second time it had been for sale and I had paid it some interest, and when I got there I didn't even feel the need to haggle; agreed to buy it after about an hour of looking over it. Having been dry stored all that time, and only taken out to inspect and apply a fresh coat of wax, it's a cracker. Not immaculate by any stretch of the imagination but close enough that it's worth throwing some money at a body shop to make it perfect I think.

Can't wait to get it back here and start on recomissioning it.
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi

Dajazar
Rover Guru

Post by Dajazar » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:45 pm

I'm still about on here regularly too although don't post as much nowadays, probably as a result of the reduced traffic. Although I'm on Faceache I don't see it as a replacement for this or similar fora.
Tracy
Love my cars
Rover 827 Sterling SOLD
Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 For Sale
Honda CRV 2.0

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:21 pm

I remember when that virus struck the site a lot of traffic went then and also the fact that email notifications are again not working doesn't help - a lot of people think if they don't get an email telling them something has happened/been posted etc then nothing has.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Tenesmus
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Tenesmus » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:47 pm

I still look in now and again - Jago ended up with my Sterling but I see he sold it, did anyone on here get it? (I miss the lazy locking, mirror memories and working heated rear window - something my 75 doesn't have...)
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:58 am

I'm still here :)
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Jon R
Regular Visitor

Post by Jon R » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:36 am

I'm still here too.

Had a look on How Many Left.com, which gives a figure of 837 various 800's licensed.
We've struggled to get 30 at the shows this year, wonder where the other 800+ are lurking.

Jon R

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:10 am

Some owners have multiple 800s so couldn't bring more than one. To account for that many 800s though then 270 people would have to own 3 each - possible i suppose!

Then again a lot of people aren't "show" people and others who would like to show their cars think they shouldn't because they're not absolutely perfect. One i know of that falls into this is Deano down in London - i've seen his car and it's certainly good enough to bring to the shows!
What a lot of people forget (both owners and show visitors) is that a lot of these cars are still in regular (sometimes daily) use so can't always be presented as if they have just driven out of the showroom, as far as i'm concerned that adds atmosphere and realism to the show and the fact these cars are still in regular use proves they are not just trailer queens that only get pulled out of the garage and dragged kicking and screaming from their warm, dark burrow into the gleaming sunlight of various shows.

I know your 800 is in showroom condition Jon and also that it gets regular use and i know i'm not alone in saying it's a massive credit to your dedication and cleaning skills! Yours is the exception that proves the rule i reckon! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Jon R
Regular Visitor

Post by Jon R » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:36 am

Thanks Dave,
it's just seems an event when you happen to see one pass by.

Jon R

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:49 pm

Jon R wrote:Thanks Dave,
it's just seems an event when you happen to see one pass by.

Jon R

Amen! I genuinely get cross if I ever see an 800 out and about when I'm not driving mine. I feel like I've missed an opportunity to show solidarity.
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)