Anybody tuning into Amazon; The 'GT' ?

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Anybody tuning into Amazon; The 'GT' ?

Post by Charles827si » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:51 pm

There seems to have been quite a deal of momentum building up to 'The Grand Tour' which is debuting today on Amazon Prime with the former Top Gear clan. I for one don't have Amazon Prime (I use to have) but I'm not paying £59.00 (down from £79.00) for the sake of watching this no doubt ridiculous show, (even if it's ridiculous in a very funny way as well).

The reason I didn't renew Amazon Prime is that it's not that great. The music I was able to download for free as a prime member, I can't listen to now unless I renew subscribe. (so in that way the mp3 tracks are not free to listen to)
There are only certain movies you can choose. Example there are virtually no movies on *Prime with Roger Moore (not that I care for him all much)

Plus the 1 day guaranteed postage with *Prime was not always the case when I ordered things at the time.

So for me it would in no way be good value for money just for the sake of tuning into an overhyped motoring 'programme' (if you will)

:arrow: Though just wonder if anybody else might?
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

deano
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Anybody tuning into Amazon; The 'GT' ?

Post by deano » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:16 pm

I would watch it,
Sod all to do with cars.... but 3 middle aged men Arsing about did make me laugh

Be damned if I would pay extra for it though :?

I`ll catch it when they repeat it later, probably on Dave, youtube or somewhere

:wink:
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:28 am

I watched it this afternoon.

I'm a big Clarkson fan so may be a bit biased but it was a good start for a new show. Hoping it gets even better as the format sinks in.

You don't need to pay for it if you know where to look. ;)
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:32 am

1 hour and 11 mins is a tad too long. A lot of time was spent faffing about but the format is familiar.
It's quite enjoyable to watch.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:38 am

To be fair it's not much longer than a lot of Top Gear Episodes, that rarely finished on time.

Maybe the rest will be a little shorter when it settles down over the next 3 months? :D

Makes up for no new Clarkson/Top Gear DVD at Christmas anyway, not that I've been collecting them since 1997 or anything. :oops: :lol:
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:55 pm

i thought it was quite good on the whole, very familiar as was said, but when its right its right, so far over and above the chris evans rubbish.. regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:41 am

I'm just waiting for a government minister with the surname of Clarkson to be appointed - we already have Hammond and May starring in their own version of "Got Peer". :wink: :lol:

Joking aside, i used to like watching Top Gear before the BBC insisted Clarkson and Co got all "politically correct" (you see where i was going now with the government quip) and insisted the humour, sarcasm and other witty remarks were toned down so as to not offend a Tibetan Monk living as a hermit on the south side of a cliff on an island in the Outer Hebrides or any other similarly obscure ethnic minority.
It also seemed as though the technical stuff was "dumbed down" as well.

It would be nice to think GT is more than a reheated, spiced up version of what TG became but i fear there is too much water under the bridge for it to successfully recreate the best times of Top Gear.
Maybe i'm wrong but i don't fancy shelling out £60 to find out, especially as the other "benefits" of Amazon Prime don't really add up to much in the great scheme of things.
Many products listed with Prime as a buying option are already marked up from the price Amazons other sellers sell the same items for, often with free UK delivery. Granted that relies on the postal system but other options (courier for example) are often available with some items and would still work out cheaper than Amazon.

Then there is ebay. The same products are usually cheaper still and have free delivery. Two examples come to mind, the new Rover 800 Series book and a CD by some bloke i've never heard of that a friends mum wants for xmas. The 800 book is about £8 cheaper on the bay and this CD is a minimum of £3 plus delivery cheaper than Amazon - it's £9 on ebay, post free and £12 plus delivery on Amazon. Admittedly Amazon offer free UK delivery if the order value is £20 minimum but what if you only want that item? They charge extra for delivery! :roll:

Is Amazon and especially its Prime service all it's cracked up to be? Probably not as i've just seen that CD (Alexander Armstrong for those who are wondering) advertised on tv for sale at HMV for £9.99 and was on sale yesterday in Sainsburys for £10 so if the only way to watch the Grand Tour is to be an Amazon Prime member, i'll wait until it appears on youtube or some other similar portal. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:58 am

scoobyh123 wrote:I'm just waiting for a government minister with the surname of Clarkson to be appointed - we already have Hammond and May starring in their own version of "Got Peer". :wink: :lol:
Is Jeremy Corbyn close enough?

if the only way to watch the Grand Tour is to be an Amazon Prime member, i'll wait until it appears on youtube or some other similar portal. :wink: :D
Erm, I don't think you need to wait any longer. Google is your friend.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:45 am

Jeremy Corbyn - hmm, first bit is the same as Clarkson but it's really the second bit seeing as they all address each other in that public-school-surname-only style.

As for the GT, might have to fire up the Fire TV stick and Goggle it later :wink: :lol:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:38 pm

was free on you tube.. I don't have a fire stick.. regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:18 pm

I was going to use the Fire stick to watch youtube Rick! :wink: :lol: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate