Which Motor To Buy?

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Which Motor To Buy?

Post by traineefarmer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:07 am

scoobyh123 wrote:
tonewheeldude wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote:If the used car market is as big as the panel gaps on an MG6 they'll simply fall through the used car market, never mind into it! :lol:

There's an MG dealer opened up near me and i had a look recently at some of the cars and the panel gaps were totally shocking - i even saw a bus drive out of a couple of them! :shock: :lol:
Great to know they are keeping up with the Rover build quality :)
They make the original Rover panel gaps look like Titus Aduxas (say his name quick,you'll get the drift!), they really were bad. This is on showroom cars, not even registered but offered for sale to the general victims - errr, public even!
Look a bit deeper under the surface on these chinese cars and the story is even worse. Missing panel sealant around the arches, pre-rusted components, sagging wiring looms. Forget Rover Group build quality, I think they found a BL Quality Assurance manual from 1974 lying around Longbridge and adopted that as their engineering model.

Also forget MG6s for £5k, they were going for that 2 years ago. They can be seen advertised for around £3k and can be bought for much less. There is no appetite for the cars new, much less second hand. As I understand it (from speaking to owners) the only thing keeping 2nd hand values is outstanding finance deals exceeding the market value of the car.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:58 am

There was a 1974 BL QA Manual??? :shock: :lol:

As for pre-rusted components - i can hear the salesmans response now :

"The engineers have found that if they introduce a layer of rust on the very outside skin of the component then treat it with a stabilising compound it actually forms a tough protective layer that can't be destroyed so will in fact last much longer".

Roughly translates as some pillock in the factory didn't paint them before they went rusty so they painted them anyway and fitted them, hoping for the best. On the good side they're assured of parts sales to replace these rusty bits.

I wonder though if in 10 or 20 years time, people will lust after the MG6 and pay ridiculous sums of money to own one? Stranger things have happened, not many admittedly but it's possible i suppose........... :roll: :shock:
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by tonewheeldude » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:25 am

I might get one myself, seems like exactly the kind of cars I have been driving since 1988. :)
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:27 pm

tonewheeldude wrote:I might get one myself, seems like exactly the kind of cars I have been driving since 1988. :)
Good time to make your investment Darren! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!