New Garage

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New Garage

Post by Lord Sterling » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:27 am

As I explained in my post about my car I was due to pick up the keys and sign an agreement for renting a garage.

I went to the council office after work and as tired as I was I had to wait 3 hours for my appointment, got to my appointment and signed the contract and picked up my keys, I then drove to the garge location to try it out.

I was surprised at how small the garage was, I mean, what were they thinking when they built these garages?

I tried my car but it wouldnt fit, this is due to the towbar at the back which has been dismantled as much as possible but the bar remains, I cannot take it off due to;

1) It holds the LPG filler cap
2) The nuts are so rusted on that I'd have to grind it off

So I'll go for the easy option and take the front bumper off.

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

Its new home:

But it wont fit!

Tried it the other way, still the same :(

Oh well, when, and if I manage to buy another car I'll take the bumper off and it'll go in, hopefully......

Lord Sterling

Richard C
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Richard C » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:34 am

You are having the same issues I did, I might mean both bumpers off to close the door :?
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:37 am

A MK2 would just fit in my garage round the corner. It had to be touching the back though.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:40 pm

If you go in nose first and slam to garage door hard enough, it will close! The will be a convenient towbar shaped dent in the garage door, too, making it easier next time.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

syzsounds
Regular Visitor

Post by syzsounds » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:10 pm

richard moss wrote:If you go in nose first and slam to garage door hard enough, it will close! The will be a convenient towbar shaped dent in the garage door, too, making it easier next time.
I like your thinking !
My garage goes up on Wednesday .. but i ordered a 20ft one x 10.5 wide .
The barge will go in there ...one day.

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:15 pm

I would reverse it in very slowly till you feel the towbar touch the back wall, then give it another blip of the throttle :shock: :wink:
JT

...........Image

JulianO'Connor
Rover Guru

Post by JulianO'Connor » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:38 pm

Any 'out of the catalogue' garage built in the last 30 years seems to be pathetic. Mine is fine for my MG B, with a little work/storage space around but that is not a big car. I rented one a while ago that was the same.

An elderly neighbour says he restored a Mark 2 Jag in his identical garage, with no electricity supply! I've no idea how he squeezed round it let alone did any work!
aka The Serpent

1972 MG B GT
2004 Subaru Legacy Tourer
2008 Subaru Justy R

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:47 pm

What I did was reverse or drive in forwards into the garage and stop a certain place, then switch the car off with the handbrake still down, and then slowly and carefully push it until I the front or back touch the garage wall then I'd try to shut the garage door but there is still on a few inches before it can shut properly, the garage door is very flimsy, I'm surprised.

If I take the front bumper off it may fit in...just...

I'm not yet going to put in there as I have still one more week at my current work place and I cannot use the Micra.

Lord Sterling