TV Election debates.

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Nuts4my827
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

TV Election debates.

Post by Nuts4my827 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Anyone been watching these? (Supprised no topic yet...)

The first one Nick won hands down IMO. Very well handled. If Gordon had said once more 'Nick agrees with me on this' I would probably gone crazy.

The second one, Nick won again IMO, but skirted close to some controversial issues that could cost him the election.

Also, the backdrop to the Sky one. The broken Union Jack flag seemed to resemble the letters BNP. A mistake, or a clever ploy on the part of Sky's set designer??

The young lady doing the interviews on the Beeb after the event. Not seen her before, and I liked her forthright technique, especially the way she corrected a couple of the interviewees who contradicted what was said.
She also seemed to count to 10 when the BNP person made a blatant rascist/ethnic remark and then cut the interview of there. Hats off to her for that IMO.

Lets see what happens in the third debate...

Roll on polling day, and make sure you all vote. Should be compulsory I feel. Too many of the electorate in this country don't vote....
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Dajazar
Rover Guru

Post by Dajazar » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:37 pm

Yes, and very interesting they are too. Don't think Cleggy can, or even should win it principally because politics isn't the X factor. Certainly he seems a nice enough bloke but policy wise I wouldn't trust the Lib Dems to run a bath let alone the country. However, that's the stupid situation we are in these days where the cult of so called celebrity overrides everything, including common sense. The three leaders should put their pitch openly and without spin to the electorate but then again that's a bit like turkeys voting for Christmas. Personally, I couldn't care less whether Brown or Cameron shouts at people or loses their temper but I could care very much about which Party runs this country. That is what democracy is all about. The Australians have a good system. It's compulsory to vote but there is a "none of the above" box which you can choose. I think that should be done here too. :)
Tracy
Love my cars
Rover 827 Sterling SOLD
Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 For Sale
Honda CRV 2.0

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MG Mal » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:57 pm

Hope they get a hung parliament!

Then I can build the Gallows for them all!

Remember this when you vote...........

No matter who you vote for ..............

The Government allways gets in!

Mal.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Re: TV Election debates.

Post by CHR15E » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:33 pm

Nuts4my827 wrote:Roll on polling day, and make sure you all vote. Should be compulsory I feel. Too many of the electorate in this country don't vote....
That's because some of us don't agree with any of them. So why bother?

I have always voted though sometimes wonder why.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:11 pm

If you don't use your vote then you have absolutely right to complain
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

BRG
Rover Guru

Post by BRG » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:30 pm

It's true.

I sometimes wish it was compulsory to vote here in the UK.

But, of course, that would be undemocratic and impinge people's civil liberties.

Might seriously endanger the status quo, too. (Not the rock group.)

I'm thinking about that line in that song by The Doors:

'They've got the guns. But we've got the numbers.'

Jimdefruit
Regular Visitor

Post by Jimdefruit » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:49 am

mrpcpc wrote:
MG Mal wrote:Hope they get a hung parliament!

Then I can build the Gallows for them all!

Remember this when you vote...........

No matter who you vote for ..............

The Government allways gets in!

Mal.

I hope they all hang emselves :wink:
Unfortunately that would probably cost us a few billion pound to buy the rope from third world countries, via many dealing traders, made from raw materials imported into this country and then exported again at a loss. :cry:
1997 Rover 825 Sterling Auto
1997 Rover 416 SLi Tourer Auto
Previous
1956 MG ZB Varitone
SD1 2300
SD1 2600
SD1 3500 Vanden plas
418 GSD Saloon

Jim Sent from my crystal box using a cat's whisker.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:21 am

I've not seen any of these as I've not got access to the BBC at the moment, To be honest, I'd probably just spend 90 minutes shouting at the telly!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:54 pm

There should have been a 'no' in there mrpcpc, my bad! No right to complain? Of course everyone will complain about anything, but, no vote really means you should have no complaints about whom so ever forms the government or what ever they do. What would happen if absolutely no single person votes? The Military could seize power I guess. A despot could rise and rule like a tyrant (OH actually Maggie did that already).

After centuries of struggle, the right to vote is now every citizen's right (including women) and should be used by everyone, even for UKIP. You could have registered for a postal vote to say the walk to the local school or church hall.
Last edited by schuwolf on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:08 pm

The right to vote against your MP if he/she has abused the expenses rules. The right to vote against the Government you think has not performed well enough. The right to vote in a club you may belong to for a better Treasurer. The right to vote, as a shareholder against the Board. Or the right to vote for any of the above. By not voting you'll make the politicians laugh. But, never mind, what will happen will happen, because of those that stand up and vote for what they believe in. Then they can rightly complain if things go awry, and change things at the next election.
Brian Wolsoncroft

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

BRG
Rover Guru

Post by BRG » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:51 pm

mrpcpc wrote:The right to vote is all it is.

What do YOU think that really means ?

It makes me laugh.
Bet you're not laughing as hard as me.

BRG
Rover Guru

Post by BRG » Sat May 01, 2010 8:20 pm

...or don't vote at all. Just let them keep doing it.

They, whoever 'they' may be, absolutely bank on this apathy. Quite literally. It is literally money in the bank.

All politicians don't appear equally useless by mistake. They are employed by the people who rule us to appear useless, and for voting for the parties they represent to seem futile and impotent. It's all part of a huge facade which capitalism has carefully built. A facade we rail against, demonstrate and picket against, throw petrol bombs against.

And all the while the machine hums away happily behind.

We who 'know' can sneer at this simple trickery all we like.