Washing Machine.

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Washing Machine.

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:51 pm

Could be the element or the circulation pump (if fitted). Only way to diagnose is to get the back off and use a meter to check if there is a connection to earth.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by zcar12 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:53 pm

Thank you Tom. The state of play so far is:

I did a lot of web research and as a result, I tried the following:

Tried using an extension lead to plug into a different socket. Now the rinse cycle works as it uses unheated water. Success! Then I tried it on Program F with the heater set to Off. That works. Then ran it through the same program with the heater on. That works so I am doing my washing.

I have a Residual Current Device that is very sensitive, had it put in when the boy was small, as he liked poking things into holes. Did I just write that ? LOL. Anyway, it seems the washing machine fault may be something totally different, like my newly installed living room light, this may have a fault but one would need to be an electrician with the right equipment to find it, which I am not. There could be a fault in a ring main. Since the machine lives in an unheated conservatory, the problem may be damp in the electrics.

I wont say my problem is solved but I am further forward than I was.

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:41 pm

Never saw this thread first time round. Not really related but thought I'd share my experiences of them.

I'd be happy to never have anything to do with a washing machine ever again.

While I admit I never actually use it it ends up being my problem when anything goes wrong. I definitely do not recommend HOOVER washing machines.

My other half brought her 6 month old washer with her when she moved into mine. Less than 6 months later we ended up with trouble with it.

Over the next 12 months we had 4 separate incidents with it. 1 lot of brushes, 1 motor, 1 pump and the drum exploded! Luckily as it came from Currys, she before had started a monthly insurance cover on it. So each incident was fixed by them. I was very surprised they swapped the drum as it made a mess of the front. It looked like something was trying to get out with the damage it left.

Anyway after 4 repairs in 12 months there's a clause where they offer you a replacement. Which reluctantly they offered.

So a brand new HOOVER washer later and a further 9 months we started with similar problems. Another 9 months later and the brushes had been swapped twice and a new motor. We then decided to give up with it and bought a new one. A Zanussi this time which is now 10 months old so we're expecting hassle anytime, hopefully not.

Overall the repair service for the £4.50 a month was well worth it but sometimes we had to wait up to 10 days for them to sort it which was less than ideal.

It seems a major source of our problems is excessive use compared to what they say is typical. Seems to be the story of mine/our lifes.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:36 am

Thank you Chris, I was very interested to read of your washing machine experience, or should I say trauma! I emphasize with you.

It is not the first time I have heard the story that the problems one gets are caused by excessive use of a Hoover machine. The woman friend had 3 young children, the machine was in frequent use but she chose to take an extended warranty and when it failed into year 2 , it was replaced the same day at no charge. I call that a result. Albeit maybe an expensive one when one considers the cost of the warranty. May be just she anticipated the aggro that a dead machine would cause.

In my own case, the problem seems to be caused by a fault in the ring main that the machine is normally plugged in to. Using an extension lead to plug into a different socket shows that the machine runs without fault. In the past 3 months a fridge/freezer failed, and a kettle failed, each time tripping out the electrics. So my first thought was that it must be the machine. It will cost me to have a sparky round to check out my electrics but at least not the cost of a new machine. A good sparks will have the right equipment to do earth leakage current tests. This is what is causing my RCD to trip out, current finding a path to earth. It is definitely not a DIY job.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:41 pm

Depending on your machine, you may or may not have a backplate on it Nick, usually held on by 4 (sometimes 6) self-tappers.

Remove the plug from the wall and connect a screwdriver blade across the Live and Neutral pins on the plug for a few seconds to discharge the mains inlet filter so you don't get an unexpected jolt. ;)

If yours has a backplate, remove it and look at the bottom of the tub where you should see a thin oval shaped plate with a central nut and electrical connectors on it. Usually there is one live and one neutral and an earth, disconnect the live connector and tape it up with insulting tape so it can't possibly short circuit to the case or anywhere else. This has disconnected the heater so plug it back in, switch on and test. If it then gets to the same point but continues, there's a very high chance the heater has rotted through and/or limescale has attacked the seals so that once power is applied, the electricity shorts through the water to earth.

You're in a hard water area down there in Darzit, get a bag of Soda Crystals aka Washing Soda from Wilkos (1.5kg is £1, Sainsburys sell 1kg for £1) and chuck a handful of crystals in with each wash.
Not only will it get your clothes cleaner, it makes the water softer so the clothes are softer and it helps remove limescale and prevent it forming. It's also a hell of a lot cheaper than the one with the snazzy name that gets advertised ad nauseum on tv that strangely enough i can't remember the name of now!

Another tip for soda crystals, mix 1 part soda crystals with 2 parts hot water and stir or shake (depending whether the lid is on) to dissolve the crystals then add 1 part washing up liquid (i use Morning Fresh Lemon as it mixes nicely and gives good results) for a cheap but very effective alternative to Swarfega. Also if you have cookware with burnt on food, soaking it in hot water with a good squt of this mix usually shifts it all.

There's loads of uses for Soda Crystals including Electrolytic Derusting and Cleaning (i've shifted the adjusters in the rear suspension arms using Electrolytic derusting), there's a thread on here somewhere about how to set it up and use it - it's a really cheap way to do it too!

Back to the washing machine, if it doesn't have a backplate you'll have to look from the underneath by tipping the machine so it leans against the units or worktop and use a torch. Chances are it will have a backplate so my first method above should help narrow it down.

*** EDIT ***

Just seen the second page of replies Nick, sorry for giving all that advice when you'd found the problem. The bit about Soda Crystals is worth doing though for anyone who lives in a hard water area. :idea:
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:24 pm

Just an update on this thread to put it to rest. At long last, I discovered the source of my problem. The thing was knocking like crazy on the spin cycle. Turns out that the drum is driven off the pulley and inside the drum is something known as a drive spider. This item has 3 arms, hence the term "spider" This is made from Aluminuim which over time corrodes and eventually breaks, usually only on one arm. It can be replaced if you are handy with tools but the drum has to come out to do it and needs to be split so there is a lot of dismantling. Kits are readily available to do this containing a new spider, bearings and a water seal. Around £25 for the kit. I suspected electrics in my case but the drum being unbalanced was putting a strain on the motor at start up and causing my RCD to trip out.

To test the drum on your machine try lifting the drum, turning it through 120 degrees for a 3 arm drive spider, (90 for a 4 arm spider) If the spider is broken on one arm, you will detect movement in the drum. Movement all around is likely ti be worn bearings. There are guides available on Youtube if you fancy doing this job yourself. I hope my post will prove useful for other people. I can guarantee one thing: When your washing machine breaks down, it will be at a most inconvenient time!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:46 pm

Sods Law is automatically applied too all washing machines during build-up Nick, hence breaking down when you're only left with one clean pair of socks, underwear etc. Then the part is on back-order for 3 weeks, if it's still actually available of course!

Mine went bang about 4-5 weeks ago, just as i'd built up a mountain of washing. Thought about repairing it but given the symptoms (almost certainly heater so similar symptoms to yours but it happened on the heating cycle so only gentle tumbling, no spin at that point), the fact i'd had it 4-5 years and it was at least 6 years old when i got it, i don't have room for a separate tumble dryer (and that was playing up too) and i had the money from the sale of the Jeep i went mad and bought a new washer-dryer.

So far so good with that, it was going non-stop for the first 3 days to get through the mountain range of washing i'd accumulated!

Hope your spider repair lasts well, it sounds as if it was designed not to be repaired as the back was riveted on though! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:14 pm

Parts supply for domestic appliances is a real gamble.

After being caught out in the past, I try to research the spare parts websites before buying. If there are plenty of aftermarket parts available then you are probably OK for a few years. I've always found Zanussi to be very good for parts. Bosch, in my experience are shocking.

I was given a nearly new LG direct drive washing machine by a friend a couple of years ago. It was a few weeks out of warranty and had developed a leak. The call-out man my friend had used declared it beyond repair and advised him to buy a new one. It was then passed on to me - "If you can fix it, keep it."

I found a moulding flaw where the heating element was fitted. A few minutes of trimming and smoothing and I had a working washing machine that I later found out was nearly £600 retail!!!

I'm not sure how they arrive at that price. It's a alright machine, but has had some niggles. A few months worth of clothes with "farmer" levels of dirt killed the (chinese) circulation pump. The italian replacement is still going strong. It is slowly eating the rear lip of the front seal where it meets the drum - I have no idea why, poor design maybe? And somehow it manages to get small items of clothing like my daughter's socks into the drain filter.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:10 am

Put your daughters socks in a wash-bag Tom - no more dismantling the drain pump to ensure both her hoofs are warm! :wink: :D

Check the endfloat in the drum bearing though, it might explain the door boot being eaten on its rear lip and also how those little socks get into the pump. Also check the drum bearings themselves (spin the drum while empty or listen while on spin) but if someone else has played with it, there's a possibility the drum is moving back and forth more than it should.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate