Washing Machine.

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

aryan57
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Washing Machine.

Post by aryan57 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:27 pm

Here is a question for all you tech minded people. My washing machine has stuck on the spin cycle and will not move on. I have changed the pump for a known good spare and checked all the hoses for blockages. I have spent all day on it so far when my plan this morning was to take the front seats out of the 820 for repair. The machine is a Haus HW50 1050W and it is only 16 months old. But now I have had it to bits, there is no quality in it so dont be tempted to buy one.
1992 820SI saloon.

Tenesmus
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Tenesmus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Never heard of Haus.

This isn't going to help, but next time buy a Miele. I gather Bosch and Samsung are good as well.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

simon
Rover Guru

Post by simon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:53 pm

Hotpoint are not to bad as well
Simon & Jane.

Rover 825sd 229,000.
Rover SD1 V8 VDP 126,000 will get running this year.
2 rover 75's

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:03 pm

Circuit board for the program dial probably, washing machines suffer the same as Rover 800's when it comes to solder joints :wink:

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:35 pm

Check out this site, as the answer may be there.

http://www.fixya.com/tags/haus_washing_machine

NONOTE
Regular Visitor

Post by NONOTE » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:22 am

If it won't spin at all then I'd check the sensor that tells the processor (or timer) that the drum is empty. It's usually a diaphragm switch at the end of a plastic tube worked by air pressure. Sometimes the tube gets blocked by detergent powder.
If it starts to spin or tries to then stops check the motor brushes if it has them, or if you are really unlucky possibly the speed control circuitry will have failed.
Most times when this has happened to me it's been a baby sock, coin or screw stopping the drain pump.
Let us know the outcome in case it happens to us!

Steve
Some big lads did it.

aryan57
Regular Visitor

Thanks.

Post by aryan57 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks gentlemen. From the replies, I can see I asked the question in the right place. Yes, Hotpoint are fairly good machines, my last one lasted 18 years with just a drive belt replaced, plus 2 sets of motor brushes. Wish now that I had kept it. This Haus machine was owned 4 months by someone who was moving to a furnished flat with built in appliances so I paid £50 for it on the basis that that is all I could lose. The base is already rusting.

My som crammed it full of clothes this time. Last year, he left a hair tie in his jeans pocket and this wrapped itself tightly around the pump impellor, jamming it solid, hence no water could be pumped out, hence no program signal to move on to the next stage. When I say it is stuck on spin, I mean it spins continuously. Leave it for an hour and it is still spinning. The drum is empty, no clothes, no water.

Good point on the circuit board. I had it out yesterday and resoldered some dodgy joints but it was not that. My plan today is to take out the motor and inspect it. But my feeling is that it is the circuit board that has failed. It has lots off very tiny surface mount capacitors. If I fail to fix it today, I am going out tomorrow and buying a new Hotpoint. Dont want to as must pay car tax end of the month. Why is there so much month left at the end of the money? Will let you know later how the day goes.
1992 820SI saloon.

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Re: Thanks.

Post by BlueRover » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:51 pm

aryan57 wrote:
My son crammed it full of clothes this time. Last year, he left a hair tie in his jeans pocket ...
Tell him to get his hair cut, the big girl !!

I had a Bendix a few years back, great machine but the circuit board was immersed in a case which was filled with a hard resin, no chance of even getting into it to see the circuit board. The fault with yours could be a relay problem. What happens when you try to run a different programme ? Can you set it or is it disabled ?
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Re: Washing Machine.

Post by Tenesmus » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Wasn't that impressed with Hotpoint. Ours came with a piece missing that we didn't notice so clothes disappeared through the drum into the workings. Hoptpoint sent an engineer and paid us compensation. Then not long after it started making a screeching noise. The engineer cheerfully told us there was a known fault with the drum, water leaking into the bearings and it's the fifth one he's replaced that week.

Then it started moving across the floor no matter how many times we attempted to adjust the feet.

Got a Miele instead. Pricey, comparatively, but no problems at all, and Which? Best Buy. Bought it from a local independent where they knocked money off the price bringing it down to cheaper than the big chains and delivered it in the snow, installed it and took away the old one. Incidentally it uses cold water only and heats it.
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:08 pm

Neff, Bosch or Siemens (all the same basic machines just badge engineered and priced accordingly) get my vote for domestic appliances. Brilliant machines.
One or two 800s...

aryan57
Regular Visitor

Post by aryan57 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:15 pm

No joy on the machine today. Checked that the pump impellor was actually spinning, it was, had the motor out and could find no fault with it, brushes hardly worn at all, at all. Cant find any relays on the thing anywhere. Changed the drum fill sensor but still no joy. The program selector is disabled, no amount of twiddling with it changes anything at all.

I am going out tomorrow to buy a new machine and will spend a little more time on the old one as and when I get the inspiration to try something new. Have spent hours on appliance forums looking for an answer. Most machines either dont empty or dont spin. Did not find one post where the machine spun for ever and ever, as mine is doing.

The post by Tenesmus reminded me of the Irish womans letter to her son. She said, "when we moved into the new house, it had a washing machine. We put all the clothes in, pulled the chain and we have not seen the clothes since"

Thanks for all the sugestions. Without spending a lot of money on the machine, given my level of knowledge and the time involved, I doubt that I will solve the problem. You cant win them all. I feel the money is better spent on a new machine. At least then, I should get some time to work on my 820 while the washing is being done.
1992 820SI saloon.

Dajazar
Rover Guru

Post by Dajazar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:00 pm

After much research, Zanussi (Electrolux) got my vote. Now 5 years on and no problems :D
Tracy
Love my cars
Rover 827 Sterling SOLD
Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 For Sale
Honda CRV 2.0

rickt500
Rover Guru

Post by rickt500 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:55 pm

Be carefull with Siemens, we got matching washer and dryer about 17 years ago (yeah I know), the washer we still have, has been great and is basically a rebadged Bosch unit. I've replaced Brushes, drain pump, and recently the drum bearings. All easy jobs, and a very well engineered machine.

The dryer however, was a rebadged White Knight POS, and fell apart after less than 2 years, I replaced heater, drum bearing 3 times, it was just rubbish. Considering tumble dryers are such simple devices, we've had 3 dryers in the time we've had the one washer, go figure.

Bosch stuff is generally very good, we had a very old Bosch dishwasher which was already about 10 years old when we got it, we then used it every day for another 10 years, and left it fully working in the house when we moved. Needless to say I bought a new Bosch for the new house, in fact they sent an engineer out a few months back to replace a part (we've had it at least 5 years), under a recall type scheme.
Richard T

1949 Rover 60
1989 820e T16 Conversion
1972 Rover 2000 project

aryan57
Regular Visitor

Post by aryan57 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks to all. I went out Tuesday and found a nice Hotpoint WM83, not new but it had the features that I am happy with, given my unfortunate experience with a machine controlled entirely by chips on a circuit board. I should be able to troubleshoot and repair the new machine if it goes wrong. Up to tdate with all the washing now .

I did a lot of research looking for an answer to my problem and even responded to a man on Teeside with a washing machine drain problem. My sugestion to him to check nothing was stopping the pump led him to discover a hair clip. Once removed, machine worked as advertised so I did someone a good turn. Discovered that washing machine parts are sold for a ridiculous figure as a business strategy. (cheap machine, real money is made on the spare parts) DIY is a good option for me in these difficult times. Of course if the stupid politicians had not used our money to bail out criminal bankers, we would not be in quite such hard times but thats another subject.

I know have some time for my 820, my real desire instead trying to drain a swamp. By the way, forum seems to work fine so let me say a big thank you to those involved with doing the upgrade.
1992 820SI saloon.

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:16 am

Returning to the subject of washing machines, my Hotpoint WM83 has worked fine for 4 years and suddenly, it has FTP. It is knocking out all the electrics in the house. What happens is that the drum fills, the motor runs slow to distribute the powder and then it FTP. It has occurred to me that the heater may have failed as we recently had the same problem with a Russel Hobbs kettle that blew its element and that also knocked out the house electrics. Any ideas anyone over how to troubleshoot this problem? Thank you.