The future for the 800?

For anything non car related post here!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Kyle
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: The future for the 800?

Post by Kyle » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:44 pm

More 800s will need to be stripped as opposed to simply going in the crusher. If you just have the one car I would suggest buying a similar Mot failure and stripping it of parts before disposing of the shell.

There simply isn't going to be the availability of parts to keep trying to save every 800.

It has played a big part in my decision as to whether to repair my 827 coupe or get another car and have a lot of parts stored away.

I would love to store the shell in the hope that one day it could see the road again, but I have nowhere to store it. Even if I rented another garage I don't think I could justify the cost for a car that may never see the road again.
2000 Audi TT 1.8T 225 Quattro Silver.
1996 Rover Vitesse Coupe - the new towcar

pat5338
Regular Visitor

Re: The future for the 800?

Post by pat5338 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:23 am

It might well be worth considering contacting members in Australia and especially New Zealand. The Rover 800 is still fairly common over here and parts (with a few exceptions) are not too difficult to find. There is a company in Christchurch, that survived the earthquakes, and which has extensive stocks of 800 parts, including body panels and doors, and some glass. I understand that there is also another company, north of Auckland in the North Island that has similar stocks. We dont have the problems with rust over here, since no salt is put on the roads in winter, just grit where required. The items that seem to be in short supply are drivers door handles (exterior) and the radiator expansion tanks.
I am a member of the local Rover Car Club and we are already looking at the possibility of stocking parts for the 800, to add to those that we stock for the P4, P5, P6 and SD1 models. (Our stores area is now bigger than our Clubhouse!)

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable