My mk1 MG Metro

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Richard Moss
Site Owner

My mk1 MG Metro

Post by Richard Moss » Mon May 27, 2013 8:49 am

I never really introduced this car and now I won't really get the chance. I bought it from Mal last year when I was hoping to get a job back in the UK(that never came off). So I decided to pass it on to someone who could do it justice.

This is the post that I placed on another forum:
"Thinking about my 1982 MG Metro, I'm starting to come round to the idea that I just don't have enough time during my visits to the UK to give it the attention it needs. So, I'm thinking of selling it.

1982 MG Metro 1300 in some sort of silver paint which looks like crazy paving. That must make it one of the oldest MG Metros left in one piece. Grey seats (not black).

This is a 1982 built, 1983 registered car (if my memory serves me right) and was originally shipped to Cyprus but brought straight back to the UK - never having been registered in Cyprus. One owner from new until late 2011 when MG Mal rescued it, before selling it on to me. It has a huge pile of history - including the original bill of sale.

It's had some welding which seems to be solid but is a bit scruffy (the usual boot corners etc) but needs a bit more. Rear arches are not too bad and the floor seems to be OK - it got a first time MOT pass last time. The doors were rotten so I have replaced them with better ones in the right colour. I have a couple of spare front wings, a bonnet and tailgate as well as a pile of spares in the boot.

It's a solid prospect which needs a bit of TLC. I want to keep it away from the Mini owning bastards who would rape it for its engine and anyone who bought it would have to promise to do the same.

I'd be asking £350 and no haggling at that. That said, I won't scrap it, I won't let its engine go to a Mini and if it doesn't sell to a good home then it is coming to no harm at all in a nice, dry garage.

and before I could get round to advertising it here, it has been sold :)

Not to a Mini owner who is going to rape it for its engine but to Practical Classics' John Simpson as a project. Hopefully it will feature in the magazine in future.

I've still got the Rover 100, though - my daughter will be in that soon as she turns 17 in November (and I feel OLD!).
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My mk1 MG Metro

Post by MG Mal » Mon May 27, 2013 8:59 am

I hope no one will mention this on the ar online site or facebook page, as john want's to do the big reveal in the mag!

So everyone keep quiet please!!!!

I delivered it yesterday after dropping off some spares for Hanna's 100.

I don't think this metro could have ended up in better hands than Richard and then John.

It is a very early model, originally sent to Cyprus, but immediately re-imported due to supply issues & demand in the UK.
One long term owner before me, then Richard and now John.

I look forward to seeing it's progress in future editions of the magazine.

Mal.

threelitre
Regular Visitor

Re: My mk1 MG Metro

Post by threelitre » Mon May 27, 2013 5:05 pm

You are aware that AROnline is reading this here ;) But don't be afraid, I'm too busy with other things (like earning money) at the moment...

Alexander
More cars then sense.... :)

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable