Wolseley 18-22 "Wedge"

Moderators: guru, SJG

Alex SBY
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wolseley 18-22 "Wedge"

Post by Alex SBY » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:16 pm

This week I decided that I would use my Wolseley seeing as we had lovely weather.

I bought it in 2001 and did, shall we say, a bit of work on it. See the background HERE over on AR online.

The pictures can do the talking I think.

And taken on Wednesday in the heart of deepest darkest Dorset.

When I took the photo I did not see that the front hub centre had gone missing. Fortunately I had a spare, so that was fitted easily enough.

Hope you like the pics.

I adore this car, and despite it going wrong all the time, breaking down, and generally being a true Leyland, I will NEVER sell it.

Thanks for looking.
One or two 800s...

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Lord Sterling » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:00 pm

Ah ha! So thats why they call you Alex 'Wedge', Mr Wedge.

Lovely car there Mr Wedge, they must be very rare as I've not seen many examples of a Wolseley Princess.

Lord Sterling

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:08 pm

That is a minter. I had a lowley 1800 Princess but it never let me down once. Came with the fantastic turd brown inteior :lol: . Seem to remember was a good motorway cruiser but not much good on the twisty bits.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

schuwolf
Rover Guru

Post by schuwolf » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:21 pm

What a great wedgie! Must turn lots of heads
Brian Wolsoncroft
I'm a Joker, I'm a Smoker, I'm a Mid-nite Toker

'97 820 Si Fastback auto

The Professor
Rover Guru

Post by The Professor » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:22 pm

looks very well.
Is it Flamenco?
Glyn
Image Image

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:51 pm

Bloody stonkin' :lol:
No longer an 800 owner!

Manalishi
Rover Guru

Post by Manalishi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:28 pm

That is fantastic! My aunt had a Austin Princess so I have a relation to that car. I must say it is impressive to see the state this one is in. Splendid. 8)
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

The Flying Dutchman
Rover Guru

Post by The Flying Dutchman » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:45 pm

Wow !!! Speechless...
Job.

'73 P5B Sal.
'94 220 Coupe
'96 220 Coupe
'95 827 Coupe
'97 820Si
'99 600SDi Classic
'69 Herald 12/50

whitelion58
Rover Guru

Post by whitelion58 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:53 pm

'tis a cracking car indeed. What most struck me was the amount of space in the engine bay. Got a "six" and can still get in there and walk around it! It marks the end of the simple mechanical era, just before engines got buried in sensors, computer and vac tubes....

Speaking of simple and durable machines... My Fergie tractor suffered HGF today, cylinders full of water! Took about half an hour from finding the problem to getting the head off and clean up, ready for the new one when the gasket arrives on Monday :-)
'86 825 Sterling Saloon
'90 827 Si Fastback
'94 Sterling Coupe
+ others.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

projectxx
Regular Visitor

Post by projectxx » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:15 pm

simply superb... 8)

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:07 pm

A beautiful car, a real credit to you.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Random Hero
Regular Visitor

Post by Random Hero » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:55 pm

whitelion58 wrote:'tis a cracking car indeed. What most struck me was the amount of space in the engine bay. Got a "six" and can still get in there and walk around it! It marks the end of the simple mechanical era, just before engines got buried in sensors, computer and vac tubes....
is it FWD or RWD? My friend's BMW 520 is also empty in the front since all it has to fit under the hood are basically the engine and cooling system, the clutch and gearbox are halfway under the dash. The problem with FWD is the fact that it has to fit in the engine and all drivetrain.

About the car itself: I would be rather indifferent about an unknown small car that doesn't look that impressive. But I have to admit, when I first saw the front end, I actually expected to see the most awesome car ever. For some reason, it is the front design that the 70ties most luxurious sports cars had. But the condition it is in leaves next to none room for even nitpicking.

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Does it have any interesting features (apart from the wonderful illuminated grille badge)?
Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:49 pm

Thank you for the kind comments, chaps. :D

To answer a few questions:

The colour is Flamenco, a colour not offered on the later Princess, but only available on the 18-22 series.

It is FWD. It essentially used the same mechanics as the 2200 "Landcrab", with the E6 series engine. The gearbox (manual) is in the sump, and is essentially a bigger version of the engine in the Maxi/Allegro.

The special features that distinguish this from the Princess are very minor, but are unique to the 18-22 Series; the illuminated Wolseley badge, of course :D, the rear lights are of a different style to the normal Wedge (they have reflectors behind clear plastic - this was changed quickly, as they were prone to leaking (and they do!)). In addition, some interior trim is slightly different.

Most differences are minor, and the nearest comparison I would draw is the Mk1 825 Sterling bits and bobs compared to a Mk1a 827. Minor, but noticeable if you had the two cars side-by-side.

The "Wedge" was introduced in March 1975 and was launched as "The 18-22 Series", available under Austin, Morris and Wolseley guises. Morris and Wolseley had the distinctive "humped" bonnet and twin headlamps, whilst the Austin had a smooth flat bonnet with distinctive "trapezoidal" headlights.

After the Ryder report of the same year, and nationalisation of Leyland, badge engineering was OUT. They therefore, just six months later rationalised the range, and were rebadged as "Princess". All cars got the smooth bonnet, and the 4 cylinder models received twin headlamps, whilst the six cylinder cars got the trapezoidal ones.

The name Wolseley vanished forever, and the last car rolled off the production line on 11th September 1975. Essentially the same car was made in the Princess range, and was designated Princess 2200 HLS, but had the Austin bonnet and grille with the trapezoidal lights.

My particular car, so I am told is the earliest roadworthy example of an 18-22 left (it was registered in May 1975, built in April), and has some interesting (to WEDGE NERDS) features - such as clear plastic on the seatbelt warning light - all others I have ever seen are "frosted". Yes, I know that is sad.

There are, again so I am told, just 5 of these actually in a roadworthy state. 3,500 were made originally, and there have got to be no more than 25 known in existence (in various states of decay) left.

Anyway, before I disgrace myself with even more nerdiness, I will stop. And I wonder why I am known as Alex 'Wedge'... :lol:
One or two 800s...

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:03 pm

Wow!! That IS beautiful!! Had a couple of Ambassadors in my time, both of them with the 2.0 O series engine but always wanted the 2.2!! Sadly never fitted to the Ambassador, can't for the life of me think why!!
I'm assuming you did all the work yourself on it and knowing how spectacularly BL cars used to rust you must have had a mammoth task!! But regardless of cost, time and effort it was definitely worth it!!
Great to see not just a classic in this condition but one that represents a time when we had a motor industry!!
Keep up the good work!!
Dave