Ed's new 2.0HL Monty

Moderators: guru, SJG

Ed
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ed's new 2.0HL Monty

Post by Ed » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Well, my new toy has arrived. A 1987 E reg Austin Montego 2.0HL in Moonraker Blue. I am the second owner of the car and it has covered a mere 36K miles from new. I have finally been able to give the car a good wash this morning and I can now see exactly what I have. I have changed the wheel trims for brand new ones which look a lot better. The doors, roof, boot, bonnet and one front wing are totally mint and rust free. The shell is almost perfect with no sign of age on any of the body seams apart from the following:

There is some light paint blistering on the front edges of the sills. This looks like it will rub down to good metal easily and will then need repainting. The rear arches have had repairs to the lower section where they meet to sills. These aren't to my standard so these will be done again using proper repair sections. There is some surface rust in the inner lips of the rear arches and this will also be taken care of. The bumpers have the odd scuff so these will be painted at the same time. Other than that, it is pretty much spot on.

MOT is booked for this Thursday, and I'll be interested to see if it fails on anything.

Here are some pictures. Please note that all I have done is throw a bucket of water over it. I've not polished it yet. Did I find a good'un?

Dajazar
Rover Guru

Post by Dajazar » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:17 pm

Where has that been hiding :?: I always had a soft spot for these as I lived up the road from a BL dealer and always loitered around their lot when walking the dog. That sure is clean for a 87/88 Monty.

My all time favourite was the "Advantage" model which if I recall correctly was a "run out" spec. Lovely BRG paint and super alloys with decals and a decent stereo. Never seen one in years though :(
Tracy
Love my cars
Rover 827 Sterling SOLD
Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 For Sale
Honda CRV 2.0

The Professor
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by The Professor » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:07 pm

Looks very smart Ed. Nice shine to the paintwork its obviously been cared for. The interior looks in very nice condtion as well. You certainly like to keep busy with all your projects.
Bye the way i like the plans you have for Mucky sounds nice particulalrly the interior.
Did you have to transport the car a fair distance then?
Nice car Ed and i think you have every right to feel proud of your purchase.
Dajazar wrote: My all time favourite was the "Advantage" model which if I recall correctly was a "run out" spec. Lovely BRG paint and super alloys with decals and a decent stereo. Never seen one in years though :(
As you probably know Tracy they also made them in pearlecent Cherry red and were built along side Meastro and Metro advantage models in the same colour schemes. I'm not sure but did they also make them in black?
Glyn
Image Image

Ed
Regular Visitor

Post by Ed » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:48 pm

Dajazar wrote:Where has that been hiding :?:
It belonged to a 90 year old man who has given up driving. It really has been well looked after and hardly used at all. The interior and inside of the boot look brand new.

It's always been garaged and I've worked out that its only done about 1500 miles a year from new. :D

Its going to look great next to the 827. 8)

Ed
Regular Visitor

Post by Ed » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:51 pm

The Professor wrote:Looks very smart Ed. Nice shine to the paintwork its obviously been cared for. The interior looks in very nice condtion as well. You certainly like to keep busy with all your projects.
Bye the way i like the plans you have for Mucky sounds nice particulalrly the interior.
Did you have to transport the car a fair distance then?
Nice car Ed and i think you have every right to feel proud of your purchase.
Dajazar wrote: My all time favourite was the "Advantage" model which if I recall correctly was a "run out" spec. Lovely BRG paint and super alloys with decals and a decent stereo. Never seen one in years though :(
As you probably know Tracy they also made them in pearlecent Cherry red and were built along side Meastro and Metro advantage models in the same colour schemes. I'm not sure but did they also make them in black?
Thanks. Yes, Muky still need LOTS of work but I now have all the body panels so I'm just saving some pennies to get the work done to a high standard. This HL will be much easier and cheaper to sort so I think I'll be getting it done first.

The car came from Southampton so it was a reasonable distance but it was very cheap to have it brought up so it took the stress out of collection.

The Monty Advantage did indeed come in Black but I believe it was an option.

mjc9967
Rover Guru

Post by mjc9967 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:41 pm

Nice car - well done!
Mark

91H 820i Auto F/B Nordic Blue 32k
91H 820i Auto F/B Nightfire 65k
99V 825 Sterling Auto 4dr BRG 77k

Lord Sterling
Rover Guru

Post by Lord Sterling » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:53 pm

Wow! Thats a fantastic looking car, I really do like Montegos, although I've never tried one.

If I was to have one it would have to be exactly like yours, an early one, same colour/spec.

Enjoy.

Lord Sterling

NickDunning

Post by NickDunning » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:57 pm

I drove them at time they were current and they were extremely nice to drive. David Bache's last design!!
Nick Dunning

Events Secretary for The Rover Sports Register and The Rover P6 Club

Visit the Classic Rover Forum: http://www.classicroverforum.com/

1964 Rover 2000
1974 Rover 2200 auto
1995 Rover 827 Coupe

The Professor
Rover Guru

Post by The Professor » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:25 pm

NickDunning wrote:I drove them at time they were current and they were extremely nice to drive. David Bache's last design!!
I didn't know it was designed by David Bache. Thats interesting to know.
Glyn
Image Image

Slamm
Rover Guru

Post by Slamm » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:16 pm

Very clean, has anyone ever sat on those seats. The old boy that owned it must be small and not very heavy.
Mk2 Vitesse Fastback

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:33 pm

First thing I'd do is treat the rear arches to a good undersealing just in case.
I had a black 1.6L and only realised after scraping past a car park barrier that the rear arches were mostly filler. I do like the Monty though and I believe the Advantage model was associated with Wimbledon.
I once saw a black Montego van (ok, Maestro van with Monty front end)and it looked really good.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

burnsy566

Post by burnsy566 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:20 pm

They were a nice car to drive...brings back some memories!
I loved the velour seats in the HL montegos and maestros, very comfy

Ed
Regular Visitor

Post by Ed » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:10 pm

Just a quick update... I am thrilled to report that the car passed it's MOT today with flying colours and spent the good part of half an hour being perved at by all the garage chaps who couldn't believe a) that a Montego was there and b) the condition that it was in. I was so happy with the result, so I bought a new tax disc on the way back and took it for its first drive in nearly two years. It drives so well and smoothly and I could barely feel any bumps in the road. It's an absolute pleasure to drive. Here's a few pics I took while we were out...

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:20 pm

I do like the Montego (we had a 1990 Countryman TD) but there is no getting around the fact that they drive better than they look! Mr Bache had an off day when he sketched its design.

The fluted rear lights don't suit the smooth rear panel, the rear quarterlight looks like and after thought and the front is not as nice as the (shorter) Maestro nose. The estate looks better, in my view.

That said, Ed, your car looks lovely - absolutely superb condition and is a credit to its previous owner (and I'm sure it's in good hands now).
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

The Professor
Rover Guru

Post by The Professor » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:37 pm

Good result ED.
Glyn
Image Image