the "mad maestro"

Moderators: guru, SJG

thamestyres
Rover Guru

the "mad maestro"

Post by thamestyres » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:47 pm

i have had this maestro since about 1996/7, it was bought as a learning toy so that i had some understanding of turbo's, however thats not exactly how it worked out.. i had so much fun from this car when i got the boost working for the first time it has all but taken over my spare time. this produced a bad descision when i sold my v8sd1, and i then concentrated all my time and money on the maestro and has become my "toy". although i don't throw as much at it nowadays, in the early days it was just driven to destruction and then rebuilt, now i have made more of an investment into it, and am gradually making it a better car, more refined, faster, just better.. it is almost a one off in the country being only one of three known to have been built, it is currently the only one running in the country at the momentand there is only two left now as one of them was converted to a t16 turbo, the only other on is the one that motobuild built which i beleive is all but dead, according to its current owner.
here is a link to the pics and semi current spec sheet..

http://s798.photobucket.com/albums/yy26 ... 20Maestro/

the power chart was done with a fueling issue which has now been sorted, but it has not been back onto the rolling road to see what the result will be, in theory the power dropped off before the max torque and power were reached, now it is running properly the next stage is to get the emerald fitted that has been under my stairs for about 5 years, but might get a power run just to see.. there are a lot of mods that you will not see on many other modified maestros that are out there, from the all steel body kit to the power brake system.. all in all this is a very unique vehicle...the name "mad maestro" was given to the car by a friend when he was taken out in it and it has just stuck, and might be a reflection on the owner as well i suspect :roll: ... regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

edus-827
Regular Visitor

Re: the "mad maestro"

Post by edus-827 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:47 pm

i've got another maestro, yours is beautiful!!!
Please don't delete me :(

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:51 pm

thanks for that comment.. not one i would have used for a maestro, but it does look better than most i think.... regards ricky

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Very Tall Brad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Meaty wheels...MGF? Would Marina TC wheels fit?
No longer an 800 owner!

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MG Mal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:01 pm

Always good to see pics of "Mad", are you going to the "meet the Rally Girls" meet at the ace/Tony's workshop on the tenth?

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:38 pm

tony asked me to, so do intend to go, but didn't know the date yet, is the 10th definate, i assume march..
brad the wheels are mgf abingdon 7x16, as big as they get.. but i'm pretty sure that marina wheels have a smaller pcd than the maestro.... regards ricky

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:32 am

10th March :
9:30 - 10:30 at the Ace, then onto the Workshop.

Mal.

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:00 pm

i have had a few issues lately something in the back of my head saying that all is not well when driving around... slight heating up while on full throttle, occasional misfire or hesitaion when accelerating then it would clear and be ok.. slight loss of water (1/2 litre on a 200 mile run) not a lot but it never loses any normally.. the smoke when idling ( i always thought this was the turbo ) so bit the bullet and stripped the head off, turns out the head gasket was blowing between 2+3 and possibly a bit of water into the mix from the nearest water hole... so the dreaded hgf on an MG nothing unusual there then.... so new head gasket, cam belt, inlet/exhaust gasket ordered, then i checked the turbo :shock: and surprise surprise the oil is leaking into the exhaust, the bearings are completely shot so the turbine is all but flapping in the breeze.. so new bearings ordered... will update when the parts arrive and are fitted with the results... regards ricky

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:59 am

The standard turbo was fitted with an SU carb and obviously no ECU (except igniton?), so how well does the MEMS setup cope with the 8V engine on this hybrid?

The twin headlights look great, by the way.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:06 pm

it actually runs quite well, but i think it does overfuel when on full boost/throttle.. it was only ever a stop gap until the emerald was fitted.. mainly as they both use the same wiring/ ecu plug.. on the mems i can only run 14psi as the fuel cut comes in just after this, i have considered using a bleed valve to get more boost but mems doesn't like you playing with the map sensor pipe it gets lazy and confused easily... i was supposed to have it featured in mg enthusiast magazine in feb but the journo had some issues at home so we are still trying to meet up at a time good for both of us.. i just thought it was about time more peeps saw it.. it is usually quite well received at most of the shows that i attend.... regards ricky

rosshenocsr
Regular Visitor

Post by rosshenocsr » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:40 am

Richard Moss wrote:The standard turbo was fitted with an SU carb and obviously no ECU (except igniton?), so how well does the MEMS setup cope with the 8V engine on this hybrid?

The twin headlights look great, by the way.
Standard o series turbo set up has a fuel ecu for the electrionc choke set up on the single 1.75 inch su. a programmed ignition ecu is also fitted.these fail from time to time causing no spark and sometimes random misfiring.

I have had 2 maestro turbos, my first was tickford 237, which i should never have sold and the second was 316 which i brought pretty much broken in haft due to rot. had done 231,000. used the mechanical bits to turbo an efi. Which is something i shouldnt have done as the efi drives better really. Live and learn. i would like another 2.0 montego,but the vitesse is a nicer car, though the most unreilable mg rover i have ever owned
2003 MG ZS 180 - Trophy Blue
1998 Rover 620 ti - Kinversand Orange

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:07 pm

the original conversion ran the efi fuel ecu, the turbo ignition ecu and a mapfueler 2 (mf2) with 2 cossie grey injector to compensate for the boost, and it still ran out of fuel at about 4k but at that time it was quicker to 100mph than an e36 m3evo, as you can imagine it used to upset a few, what would be reasonably fast cars, m3's, porsche's, cossies, at about this time the torque was estimated at about 290lbft, most clutches were being melted (ap racing exige) or shattered (200turbo) by the torque, and i don't race off the line very often, most testing was done on the motorway while driving hitting the throttle hard and then dropping off to try again, one such occasion i was setting the boost controller up, so gradually turning the boost up from 10psi to 14psi.. at 14psi and being held stable the clutch threw out the spring on a clutch that had not done 100 miles from new... which was when i tried the exige clutch this was melted within 2000 miles, i have now gone to a "super clutch" 7.25 inch twin plate and good for 450lbft so most issues are sorted now.... regards ricky

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:52 pm

it is all up and running again, new exh manifold, head gasket, inlet/exhaust gasket, turbo bearings, manifold wrapped up like a mummy nice and snug to prevent the heat soak.. all running again have had to wind the boost up slightly from 12psi to 14psi.. but no smoke no blowing from the manifold, seems to be very smooth and quiet, and sounds like its on all 4 cylinders for a change.. seem to have a slightly high temperature at the moment, it rises when pushing it, might be poor flow through the thermostat or radiator, so will have to check this out... regards ricky

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:40 am

Is the temperature really a bit high or is the sensor over sensitive?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:58 am

it could be either or, the fans work and do bring it down, but not properly, and with a triple core rad should not really be an issue, unless there is a restriction.. i should also say this has only been an issue since fitting this thermostat, the previous stat would bring the temp down on the motorway, which was why i changed it, to get the temp right..... regards ricky