My non 800 Rover

Moderators: guru, SJG

hoody
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by hoody » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:24 am

live dangerously and give it a run to birmingham then

47p2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by 47p2 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:32 am

Only if you pay the petrol :lol: :lol:
JT

...........Image

Stewart
Regular Visitor

Post by Stewart » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:17 am

richard moss wrote:
Foxy wrote:HGF isn't unheard of on the Rover V8 lump, but I'd certainly not put it down as something particularly common.
It's a huge problem on the 4.2 litre engine which, like the 1.8 litre K4, was bored out way past the comfort zone (3.9 is as far as the V8 should have gone).
Common miscoception this. The probelm is actually down to the stupidly weak fuel maps used (in a vain attempt to get somthing like bad fuel consumption rather than awfull fuel consumption). This causes the thing to detonate, and as a result sliped/cracked liners, the result of slipped liner not entirely unakin to HGF. There are a few about which has had LPG fitted that have never suffered this! If you go look on RPi's site your will find a lot about this. The 4.6 is much the same story. Ditch the rover fuel map and the HG is fine on them.

Stewart
1999 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connesieur
1997 Citroen XM TCT VSX
1994 Citroen XM TCT Exclusive 5 speed, 1 of 2
1992 Range Rover Vouge SE 3.9 auto LPG
1985 VW Golf GTI
1975 MG Midget
1959 Austin Healey Sprite Mk1 (1380)

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:11 pm

So how would one go about ditching the Rover fuel map?
JT

...........Image

Stewart
Regular Visitor

Post by Stewart » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:06 am

Run it on LPG is one way! the other is chip the rover ECU

Stewart
1999 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connesieur
1997 Citroen XM TCT VSX
1994 Citroen XM TCT Exclusive 5 speed, 1 of 2
1992 Range Rover Vouge SE 3.9 auto LPG
1985 VW Golf GTI
1975 MG Midget
1959 Austin Healey Sprite Mk1 (1380)

neo
Rover Guru

Post by neo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:38 am

never seen any with slipped liners but have rebuilt a fair few with hgf
the efi system ecu and other lucas bits that was used on the sdi 3500 vitty is also used on the early rangies up to 87/88
these used a tin gasket later ones use the newer multilayer
the 3500 in a car does not have to work as hard as a 3500 in a 2.5 ton rangie so a lot more stress and strain on the engine.
3.9 gives it a little more and lasts a bit longer

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:37 pm

The Range Rover decided that rotten fuel pipes were the order of the day during the summer and as I was concentrating on the garage build I never had time to look at it, therefore it has sat idle for the past 6 months both taxed and insured. The MOT is due next month and I thought it was time to get it back on the road but not having the time nor the inclination to lie underneath it in the cold wet British winter weather I took it to Central Garage for new pipes. During the spring I changed the shock absorbers and the steering damper and later the airbags for springs and I ended up with a terrible shimmy when it hit a rough patch on the road. This can be caused by numerous things, firstly the panhard rod bushes, so I replaced them to no avail, then the radius arm bushes were replaced (swine of a job which took 2 days), still the shimmy was there. I asked Central Garage to give it a good check over and possibly adjust the front swivel pre-loads as this can also be a factor in RR shimmy. I collected the car yesterday and was told that the steering and suspension were all perfect with no play whatever and the preloads were fine.
As I said earlier I had changed the steering damper so had ruled this out as being ok. Central Garage had called me on Tuesday to say that they could not find a problem with the steering or suspension but maybe I should change the damper. I ordered a new Bilstein gas damper on Tuesday and it arrived yesterday much to my surprize so today I fitted it and went for a test drive of over an hour. I travelled over A roads, B roads, unclassified roads and motorways at various speeds trying to get the shimmy to start and I am pleased to say that all seems well. No shimmy and it is running a treat after 6 months of doing nothing.

When I returned from the test drive I decided to give it a quick scrub-up and remove 6 months building dirt. It has come up a treat

During the build the Range Rover was the subject of muck, concrete, mortar and the weather and ended up looking rather poorly

After a quick scrub it is looking as good as ever

Sad but true, this car is much more fun to drive than an 800 :D
JT

...........Image

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:59 pm

That does look really good, I was thinking of buying one but now have another 800 i can't see that happening. I was really shocked at how cheap the parts are for these although I think the fuel bills more than make up for it. I do see myself having one of these one day.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:06 pm

You should try one Richard, they are great fun, but as you say the fuel bill can be high if using every day.
JT

...........Image

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:51 pm

John - no need to be shy about saying that it's a better drive than an 800, I feel the same way about the XJ6.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Shy....me....never

I have driven loads of vehicles in the 34 years I have held a license and was really looking forward to getting my 800 coupe after all I read about them being hand finished and the last word in luxury.
What a disappointment it was when I bought it and started driving it. I spent a fortune on the suspension and brakes and it started to feel like a half decent car but never the luxurious tourer it was portrayed to be. If I had spent £24000 on a new one it would have been straight back to the showroom with it.

For those who never had a chance to see my 800 coupe here are a few pictures. Yes it looks stunning, but that's about as far as it gets

JT

...........Image

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:52 pm

yep couldn't agree more if you want a luxury tourer buy a jag.
Richard

@Rich_Clements

47p2

Post by 47p2 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:52 pm

On the subject of the Range Rover.

I would dearly love a Land Rover but, I know that I would hate it as they drive like buckets of fish, possibly the worst vehicles I have ever driven, yet I still like them a lot. The Range Rover fills this gap. It drives like a Land Rover should. It is not the best driving vehicle in the world but there is something about it, that when you are sitting at the wheel driving along it gives you the smile factor, something a little different and special. They are high maintenance cars, there possibly will always be something that will need to be done to it, just when you fix one problem another one starts....the joys of Range Rovers
JT

...........Image

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:56 pm

47p2 wrote:On the subject of the Range Rover.

I would dearly love a Land Rover but, I know that I would hate it as they drive like buckets of fish, possibly the worst vehicles I have ever driven, yet I still like them a lot. The Range Rover fills this gap. It drives like a Land Rover should. It is not the best driving vehicle in the world but there is something about it, that when you are sitting at the wheel driving along it gives you the smile factor, something a little different and special. They are high maintenance cars, there possibly will always be something that will need to be done to it, just when you fix one problem another one starts....the joys of Range Rovers
Stop it you swine i'm back wanting one again. :D :lol:
Richard

@Rich_Clements

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:01 pm

There's something about the high driving position (it's commanding) and the feeling of solidity (due to the weight) that makes you feel good. I felt the same with my Grand Voyager.

The XJ6 doesn't have the commanding driving position, but it does have the solidity - it feels impregnable.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT