Rover 100 Knightsbridge (1996)

Moderators: guru, SJG

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rover 100 Knightsbridge (1996)

Post by MG Mal » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Get her to join the Metro owners club Richard, as a member they do have a link to insurance companies for a discounted rate.

Some of the lads where only paying 8-900 fully comp and no NCD

vito
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by vito » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:59 pm

rovercoup wrote:
vito wrote:The 'black box in the car' stuff (I think run by Aviva) seems to be the way forward now with the young 'uns .....................
Give it a few more years and they will want us all to have them fitted, or pay double what we pay now due to the scamming scumbags on our roads
Yup Stevo, even our local bin wagons having 360 degree cctv cameras fitted now due to false damage and compensation claims from the local chavtasia
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:53 pm

MG Mal wrote:Get her to join the Metro owners club Richard, as a member they do have a link to insurance companies for a discounted rate.

Some of the lads where only paying 8-900 fully comp and no NCD
Thanks Mal.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Some more up to date pictures:
Floors after repair, including distant shot of the alloy wheels that will be fitted once they've been repainted silver:
Suspension needs a tidy up
Interior and boot
Exterior
repaired arch
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:58 am

Don't forget to tell the insurance company about the alloy wheels change mod, they'll love loading that ...............

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:17 am

Knightsbridge models had alloys as an option.

Yes inform them it has them fitted, but that they are the "Factory Option" and not aftermarket.

Wherever possible my cars have either factory fit or dealer option wheels fitted. Never aftermarket.
They rarely cause extra loading, but I always tell them.

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:00 am

Aviva loaded me £100 (22%) for changing the standard 17" alloys on the Jag to the optional 18" alloys, daylight robbery but not worth the risk of not telling them and giving them a reason not to pay out in the event of a total loss or worse ..............

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Fresh MOT earned today - and the car has done 4miles in 5 years according to the computer!

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:12 pm

Richard Moss wrote:Fresh MOT earned today - and the car has done 4miles in 5 years according to the computer!
Great news Richard, and a lovely little car. Fingers crossed your daughter passes her test first time.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:25 pm

0.8 miles per year.

How long is your drive. :lol:

Congratulations on the mot and hope she is pleased with it when she gets to go out.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:47 pm

Simon Hubbard wrote:
Richard Moss wrote:Fresh MOT earned today - and the car has done 4miles in 5 years according to the computer!
Great news Richard, and a lovely little car. Fingers crossed your daughter passes her test first time.
Second time :(

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:03 pm

Driving test passed today - time to stump up for the insurance!

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:12 pm

Congratulations to all especially the driver :D
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:36 pm

Richard Moss wrote:Driving test passed today - time to stump up for the insurance!
Gress news, congratulations to her!
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:35 pm

Hannah has been using the car since passing her test and loves it. She's still getting used to the lack of PAS after her modern, driving school car - but she certainly appreciates the amazing visibility compared to the Fiesta and 208 that she learned on. She's been away on holiday in France with a friend for a few weeks, so I got to drive it (and work on it) while she was away. I have done quite a bit of work on this during my couple of weeks holiday in the UK (but sadly I'm now back in the Middle East):

It's a great car to drive - perky through the gears, subjectively as a fast as a my old MG metro due to the better gearing from the 5 speed box. The combination of the K series engine and the 5 speed box makes it much more refined than A-series powered cars, too. It's a real hoot on country roads and civilised enough to make 300 miles on the motorway a manageable day's driving.

As for the jobs done, I "reconditioned" 4 alloy wheels and repainted them in "steel wheels" (rather than very shiny silver) - a colour which meets with the owner/driver's approval. The wheels had been very badly painted with black aerosol (including the plastic centre caps and had quite a few areas of corrosion. I removed the corrosion with a rotary wire brush, sanded off the black paint, etch primed, filler primed and resprayed all four. The centre caps were cleaned up with cutting paste and then the badges carefully masked before spraying to match the wheels. They look great and the slightly wider offset gives the car a completely different "stance". I fitted new wheel nuts, including locking nuts, so hopefully she won't lose the wheels!

The whole car was covered in small scratches from where it had been under a tarpaulin before we bought it - I spent a whole day tidying them up with cutting paste and then polishing the paintwork (Colourmagic) and plastic (black trim polish). It looks great now. The cutting paste I used was from Wilko and cost about £2.25 for a tube and worked really well, and their stockinette polish cloth was great value for money, too.. You can see how well it came out in this shot that shows the reversing sensors I fitted. The reversing sensor were about £10 on ebay and were the pre-coloured ones but weren't quite a perfect match. So, I painted the surrounds on them with Halfords Tahiti blue paint (a really good colour match):

Then I resealed the leaking screen seals by injecting black silicon sealant under both lips of the outside of the seal (glass and bodywork). I put loads in and left it a couple of days to cure before trimming off the excess (using a knife on the glass side and a sharpened wooden cooking spatula on the bodywork side). Total success :) Likewise the sunroof where water was coming in through the bolts attaching the handle to the glass - I removed them and resealed with the black silicon.

It's old enough to not have had a high level brake light fitted when new so I got one from ebay for a fiver and fitted that, running the wiring under the inner lip of the rear screen seals and then through the C-pillar to the rear light. Neat, tidy and enhanced safety.

The rusty areas of the scuttle were cut out and new sections welded in after being cut from a NOS genuine scuttle panel. The rusty section included the VIN stamping so I stamped the number into the new panel before welding it in. It was sealed and painted with Halfords aerosol and looks pretty good.

A few bits of the engine bay hardware also got treated to a tidy up with Granville metal paint, which was also used to paint the suspension and steering.

All superficial rust on the bodywork underneath was treated with Kurust and then the Granville paint and all box sections were given a thorough coating with rust proofing cavity wax. The hydragas displacers and all pipework etc got similar treatment before the whole underside was hit with Schutz/waxoyl underseal. The suspension was all wire brushed and painted with the Granville black paint.

Lots of other little jobs were done (replacing a broken air vent, fitting additional power sockets for satnav etc) and seeing as non-one uses cassette tapes any more (well, certainly no 17 year old girls!), I modified the cassette storage box shown in this photo - snipping out the dividers and laying it flat to act as an oddment storage box) - but I forgot to get an "after" photo for those jobs.

Hopefully it's all set up for 12 months of non-eventful motoring for Hannah.