Car SOS

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
david vincent
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Car SOS

Post by david vincent » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:23 pm

The Car Show, Car SOS on National Geograghic is restoring a k reg Rover 3500 V8 (P6)
REPEATED tomorrow 1pm 16th March 2013

show is on every thursday night and well worth a watch

Enjoy

DV
David
Rover 820 si 16v White Gold 2
S Reg
Manual gearbox (new clutch and cambelt 112,000)
118,300 miles
Had it 10 years, according to DVLA last one of this version registered on Uk roads 6 Sorned 1 in N Ireland Sorned so 7 Sorned in total

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Car SOS

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:32 pm

What a waste of time.

How can a car programme restore a car in the time they set without it ending up half done?

Thanks for the chance to avoid such a bad piece of tv
No longer an 800 owner!

david vincent
Regular Visitor

Post by david vincent » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks for the negative reply brad

we all know you cant do a resto in the time allowed in the programme but its still a nice look at the p6
my son is 10 and car mad loves Rovers he goes to car shows with me and saw the p6 last year at the Manchester classic car show so its good for him to see one
in bits

can be quite helpful for the repairs they do show

DV
David
S Reg
118,300 miles
Had it 10 years, according to DVLA last one of this version registered on Uk roads 6 Sorned 1 in N Ireland Sorned so 7 Sorned in total

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:34 pm

I wasn't being negative and it wasn't a reply. It's simply a fact and it was a response.

There are so many programmes like this proliferating the minor channels that are peppered with untruths and distort the reality of such an undertaking. That is why I wouldn't entertain this 'entertainment'. If it suits your lad, that is fine. But I won't watch something that insults my sense of reality and reason.

As for a P6, I undertook a full restoration of a 3500 auto 20 years ago. I work fast and had the finest facilities, lots of heated space and quite a bit of spare cash at the time. I also had a pro helper, lots of time, all the parts ready and lined up and lots of energy. It took us 4 months of day and night grafting. That would have made a proper prog. ( I sold the car, by the way, and it was severly vandalised not long afterwards in Birmingham. The car was then broken for spares). Ah well.
No longer an 800 owner!

david vincent
Regular Visitor

Post by david vincent » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:39 pm

ok brad i understand what you are saying and i agree on the time a resto takes but its still a good look into the world of the p6
as a car show its entertaining and helps people that are not as skilled as you are in this field, everybody to their own.
Wheeler dealers is staged just the same and is still helpful in lots of ways, i treat it as a car repair show not as a resto show like a car is born
i for one will be watching for the next blast from the past on car sos

regards
DV
David
S Reg
118,300 miles

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:35 pm

This is a much discussed topic on the Practically Classic forum (associated with Practical Classics). Fuzz Towsend (the man at the centre of this show) is a contributor to PC and also the forum. He swears that the restoration is genuine and that it is all done properly - and that there a a load of people slaving away in the background helping out to ensure that it's all completed properly and on time. Fuzz does a lot of the work himself and Tim is there for...........well, something but no-one is quite sure what!

i find it quite enjoyable
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT