Mongol Rally 2014

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Vard66
Rover Guru

Mongol Rally 2014

Post by Vard66 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:57 pm

Hey guys.

Later this year (albeit not much later now, we're aiming to leave on or slightly before June 1st), two friends and myself are undertaking our own version of the Mongol Rally.

6 weeks out to Ulaanbaatar in outer Mongolia, and we're planning to take 4 weeks to come back via Russia and Scandinavia.

We'll be traveling through between 24 and 27 countries, and covering between 16,000 and 20,000 miles depending on variations in route on the way (namely Ukraine; unless a miracle occurs before mid-August, we'll have to dodge it, and I'll be damn sore to miss the opportunity to photograph the ghost town of Prip'yat', some 25k from Chernobyl).

Here's the proposed route for the trip;

Here's the wagon we chose for the trip;

It's a 1.7DTi (Isuzu engine) Astra G estate. Plenty of space inside, plenty of space on the roof bars, and on good terrain (i.e: roads...) we should see upwards of 60mpg. Really the only downside is that out in eastern Asia, diesel may be a trifle more tricky to get hold of than petrol, but that's the reason for the three 5gal ex-MOD jerry cans strapped to the roof!

I will be taking photographs the whole way along the trip, and at least one of them per day will be appearing on >> my blipfoto page <<, though I cannot guarantee that they will be actually being uploaded daily, but rather in large photo dumps whenever I find somewhere in the back end of nowhere in Asia that has Wifi I can make use of. If you're interested, please open that link and have a looksee; we're aiming to see some incredible things along the way - to name a few; >> The Door To Hell << in Turkmenistan, >> Sedlec Ossuary << in the Czech Republic, >> Pamukkale << in Western Turkey and >> Yolyn-Am << in the Gobi Desert.

Once I'm back, I will be going through what could well be thousands of photographs and uploading a good selection of the ones that don't appear on blipfoto.

This trip is not just folly for us however; like many others participating in the Mongol Rally, we are aiming to raise money for charity, in this case UNICEF. We struggled somewhat to find the right charity fitting in with this journey, considering how many different countries and communities we are visiting along the way, and we wanted to give to a charity that gives to not just one or two, but as many as possible of those countries.

UNICEF do incredible work worldwide. They support children in harsh conditions in Western Mongolia, those in war torn Ukraine (which we are now going to avoid!), and run many projects at home in the UK and many other countries. Wikipedia estimates that 91.8% of money donated to UNICEF goes directly to their operations, and they are deserving of your support.

>> The link for donations is here. <<

Please, please click it, read it, and if you can, donate a few bob!

Even if you don't feel you can donate a few pounds to the page, please, please do feel free to share, repost, and point people at the link, the more we raise the better!

I should also add that there will also be a link added to a sweepstake on how far we make it, when we first f**k up, etc etc. You can blame Rich for that, but it's all in jest, so again, please feel free to place your bets!
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi
1995 Land Rover Discovery 3.9 V8i

Vard66
Rover Guru

Re: Mongol Rally 2014

Post by Vard66 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Bump!

JustGiving link added, thought I had added that a while ago. Dig deep, folks!
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi

Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Charles827si » Mon May 12, 2014 10:05 pm

Only just noticed this post Vard. It sounds very exciting and the modifications you are making to the well chosen car should hopefully put you in good stead for the long journey. I wish you and your co partner(s) all the best.
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

Vard66
Rover Guru

Post by Vard66 » Tue May 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Ten days to go now.

The Blog

We now have the blog online, you can find us >> Here << at http://3unwisemen.wordpress.com/

The Car

So far, we've replaced; shock absorbers, glow plugs, oil and filter change, cam belt & tensioner, aux belt, radiator. Oh, and the rear passenger door after the glass randomly exploded when I closed it.

Fixed the radio, tested the 15" wheels with semi-road/sand tyres, fitted a sump & radiator bash guard, and a big fan we're going to wire up to a switch in the cab, hard wired in a 300W inverter in the cab, bolted the roof rack on.

This afternoon the car seems to have developed a substantial leak from between bellhousing and block. So on Monday when I'm back from my work trip to Ireland, I'll be cracking the box off and replacing the crankshaft oil seal, or the box with one I have here from Rich's old Astravan if it turns out to be coming from box rather than crank seal.

Camera

Sort of sorted on the camera kit front - new 24-105mm f/4L IS USM has arrived, thankfully, and works beautifully - I'll sort out the insurance claim on the old one when I get back.

New Hahnel tripod on the way also, aluminium construction so hopefully rugged enough to survive the trip.

However, I ordered the wrong batteries for the 40D, and only noticed they weren't right when they were charged and I went to slide them into the battery grip. So I'm stuffed on that and have had to order two non genuine BP-511A batteries and hope they're a) here before I go, and b) aren't shit, because if they are I guess I'm using a fuckload of AA batteries in the alternative grip insert while I'm gone.

Visas

Just about sorted on Visas now, we've decided not to go to Iran, mostly because we all hit our cost breaking point when the embassy got back to us and told us we couldn't get a visa without booking and paying for a guide for the whole time we were in Iran (at £100 a day for ~7/9 days, after having paid ~£400 each for the Visa & Letter Of Invitation, and a further £1070 between the three of us for the Carnets du Passage).

So now we're going through Azerbaijan (which thankfully is an eVisa and much easier to get than the others, and much quicker), and ferrying across the Caspian sea straight into Turkmenistan, and after Russia we're extending the trip up and through Scandanavia as above.

Still to get the Mongolian Visa, but that will take but a couple of days, and can be done en-route while in Turkmenistan/Kazakhstan/Azerbaijan/Armenia.

Money

Holy god I'm screwed.

JustGiving

Nearly there! We're at £675 of the £1000 target.

Come on guys, dig deep!
Vard.

2004 Astra SXi 1.7 CDTi

Manalishi
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Manalishi » Thu May 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Good Luck Vard!
Henrik
Rover 820 Vitesse Coupe 180bhp -93 (Italy)
Rover 827 Vitesse manual (non cat) -89 (Spain)
Lexus GS450h -13
Austin Seven Special -36
Gone:
Rover 820 ti -95
Rover 216 DOHC coupe -93
Rover 620 ti -98

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu May 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Donation made but can't gift aid due to not being a UK tax resident
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT