Bromley motoring pageant

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rovercoup
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Bromley motoring pageant

Post by rovercoup » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:30 am

Help needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are reading this then you either own or support the Rover 800 car/Brand.

Ok so I have your attention, or for so long as the world cup is not on the TV. I came across this by complete accident yesterday but due to an ebay purchase had a really good conversation with a previous 800 owner who is attending a show ( Bromley motoring pageant) with his Vel Satis (hi Brad) and the question I would pose to all the 800 owners, WHY aren't we there?

So, the question to my fellow 800 owners/supporters is, Are we waiting for god to come down and say that is a nice car or do we actively go out and show this car for what it is, IMHO a true british classic. The SD1 is well represented and the 75, well need I say more.

So what of the 800? This car is IMHO opinion is one of Rovers finest and although not wanting to just show my cars I love getting in the drivers seat and going out for some miles regardless of where it takes me.
As a group of people from all walks of life and background we all need to take a positive role in preserving this car, if we don't then the figures seen on ebay and the like will IMO will only go down not UP.

It is not about the money ( i've bought an 800 for £50) as many Rover members past and present of all models will testify but is all about the brand and the ownership.

Whilst at the POL this year a discussion was had by a few members regarding joining another club such as the SD1. Should we? Why not?

I think if we continue along the same vein as we have have then the 800 will dissapear from mind and existence as we do not seem to be pro active enough, That is not to say that I do not applaud the hard work and efforts by some individuals because I do and without their hard work and commitments then this car would be reserved for the memory bank only.

Point 1. should WE as a club/forum join another to promote the club/car such as the SD1 club

Point 2. When was the last time you have seen a write up/article regarding the 800

I don't want to lecture anyone on whether they should attend a show or not but I do feel that now is a good as time as any to really get a grip of this ,one way or another.

I do not stand on the side and say why didn't we do that, so if it needs or wants I am happy to do whatever is is needed to promote the brand/car.

What say you,?????????????
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

SJG
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Bromley motoring pageant

Post by SJG » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:45 am

Because sadly, despite all the talking, we could not organise a proper club to save our lives. And this is really frustrating.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:51 pm

We did the Bromley Pagaent a few years ago, and camped there. Logistics is a problem as it is so far south (5 miles from me!!)

It SHOULD be done again though. It is a pukka day, and camping was much fun. Even the wife (then Fiance) came and enjoyed it.
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:54 pm

I think I saw Bradder heading south down the M11 earlier this week. There was a Vel Satis with no wheel trim pulling a trailer with another Ve Satis on the back. I think in exactly the same colour.
Was that you Bradders?

Kate :D
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

DT2door

Post by DT2door » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:55 pm

I will be there tomorrow with my 1999 Sterling Coupe in the one make parking. There is usually one other Bolero red Vitesse, both of us have been in the forum events pictures from a few years ago. Mine still looks as polished.
Ian

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:14 pm

The two things that put me off Bromley Pageant are A) the distance and B) it's far too close to where the ex-wife now lives!

That said i have planned all along to get myself and the car out a lot more to various different shows. Half of what has stopped me is not wanting to be a "Billy-No+Mates" when i get there - one of the reasons i love the Peterborough bash so much is because we have our own club stand and as such like minded individuals are close by to talk to.

Referring to Simons comment about us not seeming able to organise ourselves into a club - why not? We manage to organise the "800 Club Presence" at Peterborough. Admittedly most if not all the credit goes to Kate on that one (thanks Kate!) and without her efforts i wonder if we would even have a club stand, never mind the flags and banners she has so kindly and generously designed and bought herself.
Surely though if a few of us followed Kates lead with her input and help we could organise ourselves into a "proper" club at least for the viewpoint of raising our profile as the Flagship supporters/enthusiasts of Rovers Flagship model. From there we could organise a proper calendar of events that we as a club would be attending. Nothing whatsoever to prevent individual members attending other shows and inviting friends/other members from a similar area etc along to those meets. Maybe that way we could build our "Club Calendar" to include more events than just Peterborough.
I know a lot of people go to things like Pride of Longbridge, the East Midlands Classic show (East Kirkby, not sure if i have the "real" name correct but most people know it as East Kirkby) and other shows - those could easily be included in the club calendar.
I know there's a Calendar of Events elsewhere on here but it seems to be simply a list of "possible events to attend, we might go with enough people to say we went as a club, we might not". Sorry if that sounds derogatory, it isn't meant that way, simply the impression i get from having read the thread once or twice. The point is, if i get that impression as someone who is (normally) on here quite a lot and have a lot of enthusiasm for the 800, how would a visitor to the forum see it?

Following on logically from having that calendar, maybe we could get a Club Magazine going too. Wouldn't need to be anything fancy on glossy paper or whatever, in fact it could even take the form of a monthly email with reminders of upcoming events, deadlines for booking other events, hints and tips not found elsewhere in the forum, write ups on particular solutions for common problems, maybe with a parts list and building guide for the conversion/repair/solution, general forum news like a member is getting towards a "Milestone Birthday", another has announced their wedding/engagement/divorce etc, news of any special discounts negotiated for the club from particular suppliers on certain products and anything else that can be thought of.

Steve is right though, we need to do something more proactive rather than just sitting here on our arms-reversed, dumb, fat and happy while the lifeline of our beloved cars slowly ebbs away into a pool of apathy and oblivion.
For the record i'm more than happy to do what i can to help on this as well although my time and physical ability on any given day is changeable at best so whatever i do would have to be more along the lines of not time critical or physical. Those of you that have met me know why. That said i'm pretty good at negotiating discounts/deals, organising things, finding obscure information etc.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

metelmickey
Rover Guru

Post by metelmickey » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:10 pm

I've been to many a car show ( with various types of car ) and parking in one make section ( american,rover,bmw,etc ) makes no differance to anyone there as most people are there to see cars and will talk to anyone enthueastic about their cars, i've been to a couple of local shows and parked with various bmw's and was made to feel welcome and not knowing anyone made it a differant show and made new friends who i've seen at other shows.
so come on just go and meet people we don;t bite ( well most of us ) :D :D
MIKE

just got a 827 mk2 coupe and loving it, more commanly known as mad mick ( used to run a nitros injected firebird ) still missing my rover, now got a BMW 735 1999. now got 2003 760l, a 6.0ltr V12 and 445bhp. :evil:

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:15 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Mike!

Hey, have you seen in the cars for sale section, your old coupe is for sale again? Looks like it's in some sort of scrap yard in Exeter!

http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=12240
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Matthew
Regular Visitor

Post by Matthew » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:09 pm

I would love to belong to an 800 club and would love to see other 800's . I went to the heritage museum last year and was disappointed not to see any 800's as they have them listed on their website . Can any let me know if there are any events in the south of England . Thanks Matthew
2002 Mercedes ML 270 cdi
2011 Peugeot 508 sw

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:51 pm

rovercoup wrote:Point 1. should WE as a club/forum join another to promote the club/car such as the SD1 club
We did approach them and they said **** off (or words to that effect).

I would imagine that the most suitable club would be the Rover Sports Register as all the rest seem to be one model clubs already. What I think is really needed is something like a "FWD Rover Owner's Club".
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Richard Moss wrote:
rovercoup wrote:Point 1. should WE as a club/forum join another to promote the club/car such as the SD1 club
We did approach them and they said **** off (or words to that effect).

I would imagine that the most suitable club would be the Rover Sports Register as all the rest seem to be one model clubs already. What I think is really needed is something like a "FWD Rover Owner's Club".
I believe that one of our members whilst at POL this year was approached by someone from the SD1 club who was basically inviting us but I will let that member confirm this rather than mis-quote.

This then prompted a discussion amongst those that were there and if memory serves me correctly it was not opposed.
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:35 am

Steve, what I was talking about was the fact that about 18 months to 2 years ago we approached the SD1 club about going into partnership with them. Their committee had a chat about it and basically said "no way".

However, if they are more amenable now then we should consider it. Thanks
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:31 pm

I did think that you were talking from some time ago. I think it is worth following up as said nobody really was opposed to the idea.

The exact details would need to be confirmed though by the other member.
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:26 pm

Mark from the SD1 club is a super guy, always goes out of his way to talk to us at various shows and always welcomes myself and Jon to the SD1 Rimmer brothers show each year to tour Rimmer Bros and eat all their free buffet ....... :D
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.