BMC and Leyland Show at Gaydon this Sunday

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

BMC and Leyland Show at Gaydon this Sunday

Post by tonewheeldude » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:58 pm

Anyone going to The BMC and Leyland Show at Gaydon this Sunday? I spoke to Luke, the organizer this morning. He says if we book online (saves £4 per person) and take a printout to show at the gates we can exhibit the 800s. (need to be there before 10). Hopefully will be taking the Diesel Coupe. Would be great to have a good turn out of our cars. If you have not been to the Heritage Motor Centre I strongly recommend it.
https://www.facebook.com/HeritageMotorCentre
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

vito
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: BMC and Leyland Show at Gaydon this Sunday

Post by vito » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:00 pm

I've done Gaydon many imes personally, unfortunately 3 days notice is going to be too short, now would be a good time to start momentum for 2015, although I admire your enthusiasm, my experience of event turnout on this forum for such events usually come down to "how much is it to get in" and "I can't afford the petrol to get there".

Gaydon have a beautiful 800 in the form of the last one never to come off the production line stufffed away in a shed which year after year after numerous interrnal phone calls they always promise will be on display the following year - never is, my time with them is up sadly.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:15 pm

I like this group, but I miss the strength and backing of a full owners club. I used to drive Triumph Cars - and the Sports Six club was tremendous. They even had a workshop over near market Harborough where you could take your car to work on it.

The Rallies were huge and it was a shock when I brought my first Sunbeam Rapier - I went to the international to find no more than 40 cars in attendance (compared to what must have been several hundred cars the previous year at the TSSC International.

The Mini's are odd - so many small clubs with 10 or 20 members and the two bigger clubs are abit 'aloof'.

I really wish there was a strong owners club for Rover Cars - 800s are such beautiful cars, they really deserve one - it would certainly help preserve them

Anyway - I have not been to a non mini show for years and I am looking forward to Sunday and taking my own car instead of Rosalinds mini's

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:37 pm

Enjoy it ................ and DO ask about the stashed 800 to keep the pressure up - not that they'll take any notice.

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:32 pm

I was going to go to this but with the poor planning of holding the event on the same day as the British Grand Prix I am going to give it a miss along with the M1,M45,M40 and associated feeder roads as they will all be car parks. :(
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:29 pm

I live in Northampton - fortunately I know the B roads well enough to navigate around the county without having to run into Silverstone traffic. Last year I forgot and found myself on the A43 from Northampton to Oxford heading to a customer....big, big mistake!

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Pity none of you chaps could make it yesterday. Its always a treat to go to the Centre - but when a big show is on like that it makes for a super day out. Anyway there were three 800 series cars; A stunning Woodcote Green Sterling Fastback (as often seen on ZT's) in original condition with very low mileage, a BRG Saloon which had driven to the moon and back and still going strong and of course my car. Must have been a few hundred cars on display. They didn't get the reserve 800 out though...and I did ask before hand via the centre's facebook page.

All three 800's had a great deal of interest and we were talking to people all the time we were with the cars. It could be one event the club should look at in the future.

One of the writers for the Heritage Centre left a card on my windscreen and wants to write an article about my VM Coupe. Maybe he will be able to come up with history I dont have access too.

after these photos the other guys moved their cars next to mine - I dont have a photo of them together but they have promised to send one.

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:00 pm

looks like you had a great day, thanks for the update and the photo's.

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:07 pm

Gutted I didn't go but the thought of all that traffic from silverstone especially after the delayed start.

Glad you had a good day and were not alone. Weather was sunny and dry and that always helps with metallic painted cars.

Note to self "must make more effort"
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:11 pm

As it happened, I left home at 8:30 expecting traffic - but there was none! Arrived at Gaydon around 9:20 am. I guess everyone that was going to the race were already there. None on the way home either.

threelitre
Regular Visitor

Post by threelitre » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:58 pm

rovercoup wrote:I was going to go to this but with the poor planning of holding the event on the same day as the British Grand Prix I am going to give it a miss along with the M1,M45,M40 and associated feeder roads as they will all be car parks. :(
Hmm, I was there and traffic there and back was a doddle (M40 from M25 in the morning and M40 and via Aylesbury and Hemel Hempstead to London...

The show was great - particular with over 50 Landcrabs in one place!

Regards,

Alexander
More cars then sense.... :)