Joint Rover Clubs

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Joint Rover Clubs

Post by tonewheeldude » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:11 am

I definately was not implying that Rover800.info should be a 'club'. Simply to approach the Joint Rover Clubs so those of us that do want to attend shows can do so and fly the 800 flag there instead of having to park out in the visitors car park. As it stands, this year will go by without my taking the Diesel Coupe to a single show, but the Mini's and Rapier will have plenty of exposure.....But I would much rather take to Rover.

A poll would be interesting just to see how many here would like to take their cars to a car show thats more local to them.

It is possible after everything that the "Joint Rover Clubs" wont have us anyway!! :-/
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:51 am

tonewheeldude wrote:I definately was not implying that Rover800.info should be a 'club'. Simply to approach the Joint Rover Clubs so those of us that do want to attend shows can do so and fly the 800 flag there instead of having to park out in the visitors car park. As it stands, this year will go by without my taking the Diesel Coupe to a single show, but the Mini's and Rapier will have plenty of exposure.....But I would much rather take to Rover.

A poll would be interesting just to see how many here would like to take their cars to a car show thats more local to them.

It is possible after everything that the "Joint Rover Clubs" wont have us anyway!! :-/
I poll would certainly be interesting, but with the apathy and conflict building in this thread, maybe Simon is right that those with a taste for clubs and showing should try the RSR on an individual basis. If numbers grow within a broad church rover club, then a voice in favour of 800s could be heard.

Maybe what we could aim for is not a new club just for 800s, but an informal agreement among interested members on here to join the RSR and co-operate from within to promote our cars.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:20 am

For those of us that have been here from the start there are numerous threads about an 800 club, they all follow the same theme as this one. I was so keen to form a club but I think you can see how I feel now.

Despite what people say there are issues about us showing as a club, such as liability insurance, although having researched this it is a small sum. But we need to be a club to get the insurance.

The frustrating thing to me is that we could save money on our individual insurance if we were a club.

We had plans to have a members area on the forum and public areas so people like Paul could still be active but not have to pay the huge fees we were going to charge £15-£20 pa. And have an area to hold all the fantastic work that Dave Dollysprint has done researching build data.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:16 am

What Darren (tonewheeldude) has suggestd in the first post if anyone bothers to read it correctly and follow the link, is not necessarily to go down the same weary route of shouuld we/shouldn't we be a club, fees, private members area etc, etc,BUT to simply 'attach' the .info forum "the group" to the Joint Rover Clubs Venture 'to co-ordinate activities at events', making sure 800's are represented next to 75's, 200/400/P5/P6 etc. I don't think there will necessarily be any charges and I don't think anything needs to change re the forum.

If there IS any nominal charge for membership of JRCV I'm sure this could and would be covered by the serious enthusiasts who will actually bother to turn up to shows and are not just trying to keep our pride and joy running on bubblegum and sellotape, in the same way as for example the NEC costs are covered by half a dozen 'serious' enthusiasts who turn up at the show giving up four busy days of their life and a three figure sum in costs,

I for one think it's a great middle of the road compromise which won't affect those who don't want involvement , but would give some serious semi-status to the forum and the brand, we (Rover 800) are conspicuous by our absence if you follow that link.

Perhaps we DO need a poll or interest list for those who feel it worth pursuing in regards to the JRCV as per Darrens link.
Last edited by vito on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:58 pm

vito wrote:What Darren (tonewheeldude) has suggestd in the first post if anyone bothers to read it correctly and follow the link, is not necessarily to go down the same weary route of shouuld we/shouldn't we be a club, fees, private members area etc, etc,BUT to simply 'attach' the .info forum "the group" to the Joint Rover Clubs Venture 'to co-ordinate activities at events', making sure 800's are represented next to 75's, 200/400/P5/P6 etc. I don't think there will necessarily be any charges and I don't think anything needs to change re the forum.

Perhaps we DO need a poll or interest list for those who feel it worth pursuing in regards to the JRCV as per Darrens link.

Thanks Gaz - that was exactly what i was suggesting about a poll! Not the should/shouldn't we become a club (again!) type poll but more should we look into joining a club, mainly for the organisation and increased exposure it would give us.
Let's face it, there are certain members on this forum that give up a lot of their time, money and other resources for the good of the forum and 800s (we all know who they are or should do) usually with not much in the way of thanks and joining a club would mean those members could spend more of their time and money actually enjoying their cars, events etc without having to ensure the success of said events etc through their own efforts.
I for one am grateful to those members and i'm sure my sentiments will be echoed by others. However, if the forum is not going to be a club then it doesn't seem fair they should do this when we (those who are interested which seems to be the consensus of compromise) can join a club to promote the 800 as part of the Rover marque.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:07 am

vito wrote:What Darren (tonewheeldude) has suggestd in the first post if anyone bothers to read it correctly and follow the link, is not necessarily to go down the same weary route of shouuld we/shouldn't we be a club, fees, private members area etc, etc,BUT to simply 'attach' the .info forum "the group" to the Joint Rover Clubs Venture 'to co-ordinate activities at events', making sure 800's are represented next to 75's, 200/400/P5/P6 etc. I don't think there will necessarily be any charges and I don't think anything needs to change re the forum.

If there IS any nominal charge for membership of JRCV I'm sure this could and would be covered by the serious enthusiasts who will actually bother to turn up to shows and are not just trying to keep our pride and joy running on bubblegum and sellotape, in the same way as for example the NEC costs are covered by half a dozen 'serious' enthusiasts who turn up at the show giving up four busy days of their life and a three figure sum in costs,

I for one think it's a great middle of the road compromise which won't affect those who don't want involvement , but would give some serious semi-status to the forum and the brand, we (Rover 800) are conspicuous by our absence if you follow that link.

Thank you so much for reading my post and understanding it!
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:58 am

mrpcpc wrote:I not sure about that, Simon, or is it I'm just jealous of his fine Coupe 8) With absolute respect to Richard and all the admin on this site, Clubs are toilets. (well they should be at least) and forums are (usually) brilliant with this one being the best. Whilst it has been the hard work of the owner and admins of this site that has made it a success they do not speak for or represent all 800 owners. There are plenty of 800 owners and enthusiasts out there who do not participate because they just havn't lived and they havn't really got an 800 and just pretend to drive one when they are sat in a bedroom at their mums house and are 58 years old.

I think a poll is a good idea. I have very mixed feelings about an official club though. I certainly agree that the 800 desperately needs wider recognition and the concensus seems that a club is not the best way of achieving this. the best way of acheiving this is actually gettin g out and driving them But if one is started, I am not sure if I would support it long term as it may not support my interests for the 800. The joy of an open forum with minimal moderation is everyone gets a say. The concours restorer, the bangernomics guy, the parts hoarder, the bonkers engine tuner, etc. They get disagreed with and shouted down,(NO THEEEEY DOOONOT !!!!) but they all get access to the shared knowledge and will never be told there is no place for them in the 800 community. Owners clubs don't tend to offer this so they can agaoin FECK OFF !! and tend to support a very blinkered FECKOFF !view of what ownership should FECK be.

To conclude, I sort-of hope a club or a 10lb lump hammer is used to further the recognition of the 800 in the ball joint department, I hope it is a success and I would certainly join in the first years. But if its existence means the eventual death of this forum as we know it, then it will probably be because Richard or Simon hasve gone on holiday again and it will be up and running again on the following Monday.

Would be a tragedy as it serves all owners of 800s better than any club ever could. what would ? :?
I'm not sure if that's an insult or flattery, but whatever, LEARN TO QUOTE. :lol:
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:14 pm

if someone wishes to run a poll about forming a club then they are very welcome to do so. We've been down that route before and the majority view was "yes" but in the final analysis, there were not enough volunteers willing to take on the necessary roles (chairman, secretary, treasurer etc) - although several members did put quite a bit of time and effort into researching what is required, and their efforts are appreciated.

As for whether we can join the Joint Rover Clubs without actually being a club ourselves, then that is another question. Perhaps Darren, as the person raising the question, could ask the Joint Rover Clubs people what is required?
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:32 pm

Well said Gaz, and I do agree with some of the points that Simon has made.

For me the plus point would be to maybe get away from some of the pointless crass and ignorant posts made by some people regardless of thread theme content or being constructive in any way. There is clear evidence of this within this thread which for me is becoming quite tiresome.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:08 pm

rovercoup wrote: For me the plus point would be to maybe get away from some of the pointless crass and ignorant posts made by some people regardless of thread theme content or being constructive in any way. There is clear evidence of this within this thread which for me is becoming quite tiresome.
+1

I think with the courtesy of Richards blessing, it's time to probably just steam in and liaise with JRCV and set the ball rolling for the good of the 800 if nothing else, I'm happy to make the approach if no other objections.

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:29 pm

great idea, to be honest its strength in numbers, the 800 is an over looked old car now, I cant say it was a massively loved car by the masses in the first place, but well liked upto a point, anything that promotes the marque is a plus point from my point of view and we as enthusiastic owners can only benefit from it, and others can only benefit from our knowledge and love for the brand, I am one person who is glad they joined the forum, as I don't meet many people with love for the mk1.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:31 pm

No objections from me Gaz, thanks for volunteering!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Wouldn't things like the SD1 and the Jag XJ40 share the same problem though? :?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:26 pm

To get this back on topic because I think we've thrashed to death all the reasons why a club isn't going to work and why 800's apparently aren't gonna attract any serious following, I've made contact with JRCV and am awaiting some feedback from them, they don't make it easy though without a single contact method via their website only via their Facebook group messaging.

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks, Gaz
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT