A Club is born

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dollysprint
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A Club is born

Post by dollysprint » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:46 pm

Spent the afternoon attending a gathering at Cowley and am pleased to report, for those who don't use the Facebook page, that the Rover 800 Owners Club has now been formed.http://rover800.org.uk/
Hope that link works.
Obviously I can't remember every detail from the meeting but I guess the most important part is that we all try to get behind the Club and support its formation in its early days.
The membership fee will be £15 per annum, but don't rush as various mechanisms have to be set up first and I'm sure details will be released in the coming days ahead.
What was heartening was that I was probably the oldest there, strange statement, but what I mean is younger people have an interest in the 800 and that has to be a good thing.
If the enthusiasm from today can be carried forward then it should be a success.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: A Club is born

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:35 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on this Dave - very pleased to see the link to here as their club forum. I was initially worried it had been set up to try and get rid of this forum so i'm happy to eat my words on that - i already apologised when i said it if i had the wrong end of the stick!

I'll be following events on it and may well join in due course.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

MG Mal
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by MG Mal » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:15 am

scoobyh123 wrote:Thanks for the heads-up on this Dave - very pleased to see the link to here as their club forum. I was initially worried it had been set up to try and get rid of this forum so i'm happy to eat my words on that - i already apologised when i said it if i had the wrong end of the stick!

I'll be following events on it and may well join in due course.

Dave, like you I shall be following the new club's efforts over the coming months.

However, I did not see it as a possible attempt to "get rid" of this forum or the efforts and gains it has made over the years.

What I did have concerns over is that it would (without debate) "Co-Opt" the forum, it's efforts, established events, and the hard worked for NEC stand into it's "own".

Now had this been a more open, and (in my way of thinking) honest start up, without the "back room" work which excluded the forum until the announcement, I may well have seen things differently.

It seems to me that, the discussion regarding club status did not go well for a few who wished to advance the forum to such a level, so they decided to "do it themselves", only they had no intention of "starting afresh" or as Tanya stated in not so many words " would only run it if no one else wanted to".

So the new club "has it all" from the very start, even a committee, and those who chose to 'launch" this new club barely had to put any effort in to get what they wanted.?

Like you, I am happy to be proven wrong over the coming months/years should it work out.

But I still have my doubts.

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:27 am

The first few years will reveal all, but maybe we have the best of both worlds here, this forum remains independent from the club, but will be used as a resource by club members and will benefit from new members brought in from club publicity. And those to wish to integrate further in to the "club" scene with shows and promotions will have their needs catered for too.

It's birth may have been a shock to some and some noses may now be out of joint, but this seems a better compromise than what was being proposed during some recent discussions (closing off some parts of the forum to members only, club committee interference with forum content).

I intend to support the new club in its first year and see how things go. Greater publicity for the 800 can only be a good thing, but I would hate to see anything change on here.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

mercedade
Rover Guru

Post by mercedade » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:35 am

Tom, couldn't have said it better myself. Well done to those involved, I'll be following with interest (and maybe £15 if it looks like value)
Adrian
1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (white gold)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 820 Vitesse Hatchback (green)
Gone...1992 Rover Mk1 827 SLi Manual (green)
Gone...1998 Rover Mk2 825 Diesel (green)

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:47 pm

All for it, glad something constructives been done at long last.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

MG Mal
Rover Guru

Post by MG Mal » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:08 pm

vito wrote:All for it, glad something constructives been done at long last.

I would say the forum has achieved a lot of "Constructive" things over the past few years, in regards to better attended events, regalia, and of course Alex and the team's efforts at the NEC.

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:18 pm

MG Mal wrote:
vito wrote:All for it, glad something constructives been done at long last.

I would say the forum has achieved a lot of "Constructive" things over the past few years, in regards to better attended events, regalia, and of course Alex and the team's efforts at the NEC.
Perhaps I should elucidate, that wasn't a criticsm of the forum, I simply meant it was about time something constructive had come from the many, many abortive attempts to produce a 'formal club' for the 800 in time for the 30th next year, I shall be joining and paying my dues when the procedure has been established.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

Thomas J
Regular Visitor

Post by Thomas J » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:39 am

I wish the club well. When I can join I will.
I have an attachment to this place and if it was going to be a point of us or them I'd have stayed here.

Hopefully these two places will be able to Co exist without going off each other.
I currently do not own an 800 so my voice might be seen to be invalid but that's my own thoughts
i want lots of british cars got 1 want more

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:57 pm

I think there are a lot of us that feel the same Thomas and the fact this club sprang up "overnight" or so it would seem has filled many of us with trepidation about the motives and longevity of it.

Like Gaz said, it's good something constructive has come from all the "discussions" about forming an official club at last but i think if it had been more widely publicised on the forum from the get-go that firstly it would have had much more support and secondly people wouldn't be so suspicious about it now.

Last of all, i for one think your opinion is no less valid because you don't currently own an 800, you are a member here and as such should be free to voice your opinion.
Hope you manage to redress the balance and get yourself an 800 soon though! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor

Post by tonewheeldude » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:23 am

I hope in time the confusion will eventually clear up and the Rover 800 Owners Club will be seen as a way of re-enforcing what the rover800.info community has already been doing well for years and should continue to do. We all know its hard to motivate members here to get involved with any other activity than one or two shows a year and it realy is a mainly a forum for members who already own Rover 800s and want to maintain them and share the work they are doing. This is great...but it does not in itself promote the 800 as a desirable classic in the way a formal owners club could do. Those who support the owners club will ensure the 800 is seen at many more events throughout the year. This one aspect is enough for me to pay a membership fee, anything else that comes out of it is a bonus. (e.g. spares store, insurance deals, news letters etc).

You can keep an eye on progress on the temporary website: www.rover800.org.uk
and the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rover800oc
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)