Lancaster Insurance NEC Classic Motorshow 2016

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Lancaster Insurance NEC Classic Motorshow 2016

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:21 pm

traineefarmer wrote:Facebook is only any good for vetting potential girlfriends and stalking ex-employees.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tanya wrote:
scoobyh123 wrote: I did see Tanya at the BL Rally in Peterborough this year although not to talk to. It's a shame she didn't introduce herself to all the people that were there and explain the club in greater detail - a missed opportunity perhaps? .
I think it's helpful to clarify my position in the club. While I was behind the meeting to see if there was the desire to form a club and hosted it, I am not a major player and it was never my intention to be one. I am involved in many clubs, the Cowley Convoy and various heritage events Cowley so am fairly maxed out already. However, I am a supporter of the club and help out where I can.

BL Rally is always a busy day for me as I am chair of the Maestro & Montego Owners Club and it's our national so I organise the judging and awards, along with meeting as many members as I can. I brought my 800 to support the cars/club as it's the 30th anniversary. I did chat to some 800 owners, but then I also spoke to a lot of other owners on all the various club stands.

If you see me at another show, please do come over and say hello. I really enjoy meeting fellow enthusiasts but don't feel it's my place to introduce myself to every 800 owner when I'm not a significant person within the club.

However, what your post shows is that you and mostly likely others don't know who's who in the club so that might be something the club could look at. We are due an AGM soon, and I am happy to raise this then.
Well it's like this Tanya - all the sources i've referenced suggest it was :

From Practical Classics Mag when asked who the source was:

Release came from Tanya or Craig at rover800ownersclub@gmail.com

That is a quote from this thread - http://rover800.info/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =13572#top

Also if memory serves correctly, the article in Practical Classics (i think it was June edition this year) also has you as a contact.

Call me mad, confused, misinformed, delusional or whatever you like but i think i speak for many when i say that if a press release comes from one or other of two specific people then they are the contacts/committee members that are running whatever it happens to be.
Perhaps if you're not that deeply involved with the club committee then it would have been a good move to put someone elses name on the press release or a general moniker such as "The Rover 800 Club PR Dept".

Be that as it may because it's too late to do anything about it now, i think your idea of raising it at the AGM would be a good idea. Not actually knowing who we can address queries, complaints or even praise to is one of the things that has put me off joining, there are other reasons but i have a feeling you're aware of those already. Darren has fielded many queries on behalf of the club to the extent i thought he was some kind of go-between to answer all questions and have in fact referred people to him that have come to the forum looking for answers.
Maybe the way to go would be to speak to Richard on here and sort out an area of the forum dedicated to the club so a list of contacts could be made available with their respective positions within the committee, some news articles/updates etc so potential members could actually see what was going on and so forth. Even on the club website there isn't a list of who does what etc, even just a first name and their function would be a great help, no need for a "rogues gallery" with photos as by it's nature until there is an event/show or whatever that probably wouldn't be relevant.

I hope something out of that is constructive, i do appreciate the fact that the people running it are doing it voluntarily and have lives but with anything new (as it still is) effort and input must exceed response by a very large amount. I know it's easy to become disheartened when no response comes to the latest 523 posts of news but when the 524th post is made and the response is overwhelming it all becomes worthwhile. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Tanya
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Tanya » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:03 pm

That press release is over a year old and having reread the thread, it is clear that I was never intending to have a significant role within the club. Craig was also named on the press release and he has less involvement with the running of the club than I do. The press release was about looking to form a club, not that Craig or I would necessarily be part of it or have significant roles within it should it happen.

I don't have a problem being the contact for the Practical Classics article (I can't remember if I was or not - I do quite a lot with different clubs), where my 800 was used. I did ask James Walshe to put the club in, but not for me to be a specific contact but if that happened, I really don't see a problem with it.

I'm not aware of any other press releases since that initial one, although there might well have been some. As I have said, that was released before the club was formed.

What we agree on is clarity over who's who in the club and how to contact them. I think it would be good to have this in the newsletters from the club and on the club's website.

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:47 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:
traineefarmer wrote:Facebook is only any good for vetting potential girlfriends and stalking ex-employees.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You bugger! :lol:

But, yes. That too.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:54 pm

Tanya wrote:That press release is over a year old and having reread the thread, it is clear that I was never intending to have a significant role within the club. Craig was also named on the press release and he has less involvement with the running of the club than I do. The press release was about looking to form a club, not that Craig or I would necessarily be part of it or have significant roles within it should it happen.

I don't have a problem being the contact for the Practical Classics article (I can't remember if I was or not - I do quite a lot with different clubs), where my 800 was used. I did ask James Walshe to put the club in, but not for me to be a specific contact but if that happened, I really don't see a problem with it.

I'm not aware of any other press releases since that initial one, although there might well have been some. As I have said, that was released before the club was formed.

What we agree on is clarity over who's who in the club and how to contact them. I think it would be good to have this in the newsletters from the club and on the club's website.
The big problem is Tanya once you put your name to something, it sticks unless something is sent out one way or another to advise differently - it seems you're taking a lot of flak for something that perhaps others should be doing by way of letting people know who's who etc. Maybe once the contacts and the contacts list are sorted, things will be clearer for all concerned. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:06 pm

If anybody has any concerns, queries, constructive input for the club then feel free to contact me, I am on the committee.
There is a plan to improve communication between the Club and this Forum which is an issue I am keen to see resolved.
I am happy to be liaison until something more permanent can be adopted.
So pm me or feel free to text/ring 07717 299226.
There will be an AGM late Jan/ early feb and the date will be posted across all 800 media when it is firmed up.
Views expressed over the last few days have already been taken on board and will be discussed, in fact they have already provoked a useful discussion.
I don't care if you are a Club member or a Forum member my ears are open to all, we are all potential future members and we are all past supporters of 800.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:15 pm

scoobyh123 wrote: The big problem is Tanya once you put your name to something, it sticks unless something is sent out one way or another to advise differently - it seems you're taking a lot of flak for something that perhaps others should be doing by way of letting people know who's who etc. Maybe once the contacts and the contacts list are sorted, things will be clearer for all concerned. :wink: :D
Don't worry, my name gets attached to plenty of things, even somethings which I've had nothing to do with! If I had a £1 for every time I had to tell people, particularly those who live in Oxford that I don't work for BMW (I do number of events at Cowley), I would be a very rich woman. It's swings and roundabout as I have also been credited with good and successful things which I haven't been involved with.

As you say, when club roles and contacts are easily available it will help everyone :)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:26 pm

I'm glad we got there in the end, bit of a roundabout route (or was it swings? :lol: ) but at least it seems there's now a definite plan in place and a definite liaison contact from Dave (Dollysprint) who i have to confess i didn't even know was in the club or on the committee.

If nowt else this will give members (present and potential) a point of contact rather than just wandering aimlessly through cyberspace wondering if there really is a club!

Who knows - i might even be persuaded to join one day! :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Austin-Rover
Regular Visitor

Post by Austin-Rover » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:47 pm

I'm sure someone mentioned something about pictures from this show? ...before it went off on a tangent anyway. Here's a couple I took of the stand. The Fastback is mine. I thought it was a really good show. The cars got a lot of interest, and I believe there were people who signed up to the Club over the weekend too.

The Club put on a good display and put on a very professional looking display.

ImageNEC 2016 (1) (Medium) by Richard Gelder, on Flickr

ImageNEC 2016 (2) (Medium) by Richard Gelder, on Flickr

ImageNEC 2016 (3) (Medium) by Richard Gelder, on Flickr

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:27 pm

Good Pictures there.
Regarding the Forum and the 800 club (or Forum based vs 800 club); The forum has been around for a fair while and a little longer then the club, and so there has been more people like myself able to learn by reading others threads and contribute to this which includes contributing to the forum as a whole.
Alot of the time I have looked at the forum and read the goings on of owners and the community and the wider things as an observer. Just lately I have trying to contribute more to the forum where I can, because I notice in an obvious way that the forum is not being contributed to as in past years. I think this is largely because social media like Facebook and Twitter have taken off since 2009, as smart phones have come along since then, and it's easier for people to engage socially using an app on their smart phone, (any where, any place) rather then doing the same with the forum here.
I point out as well that Facebook is easier to share photos. Though I'm aware of tablet computers as well being broadly used so it's not as hard accessing forums without an app.

I know there are people of the forum (and I feel similar) who feel that the forum should stay as a forum and not turn into a club. So this is why there has been a separate 800 Club set up (this is how I see that and others will)

What I want to say though is based on the knowledge of the forum, it's important to keep this actively going into the future, and this input would benefit the 800 owners club also for those members of that, by sharing the technical insight with them (or vice versa)

For the purpose of the press, (like Practical Classics) I suggest that it may be beneficial to have the same person representing both the forum and the 800 owners club should they wish for the purpose of who oversees the whole wider 800 community.

So yes, Dave (dollysprint) it would be beneficial for both concerns to have greater co-operation and communication between the two. It would be good to see the goings on, on Facebook translated more to the forum, for the benefit of those who don't always use Facebook or have their reasons for not using Facebook.

My last point is ultimately, whether club or forum, I think we as 800 owners should agree about the prosperity of the cars themselves and their continued existence to be importantly above any individual Clubs or Forums.

Thanks
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:34 am

Slightly random but relevant to the subjects. This forum would be a much quieter place without the efforts of Dave (scoobyh123) extremely helpful to all on here with useful information for whatever topic is posted. The forum owes a lot to Mr Scooby.
The club website is disappointing, I hope it will improve as I want to join in the future. I dont like those phone things boatbook or twatter.
There you go short and sweet.

Jim

Charles827si
Rover Guru

Post by Charles827si » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:19 am

820Vitesse wrote:Slightly random but relevant to the subjects. This forum would be a much quieter place without the efforts of Dave (scoobyh123) extremely helpful to all on here with useful information for whatever topic is posted. The forum owes a lot to Mr Scooby.
The club website is disappointing, I hope it will improve as I want to join in the future. I dont like those phone things boatbook or twatter.

Jim
Here Here. Take a Bow Dave 8)
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:47 pm

Charles827si wrote:
820Vitesse wrote:Slightly random but relevant to the subjects. This forum would be a much quieter place without the efforts of Dave (scoobyh123) extremely helpful to all on here with useful information for whatever topic is posted. The forum owes a lot to Mr Scooby.

Jim
Here Here. Take a Bow Dave 8)
Thirded. The nicest man on the entire internet. :P
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:57 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:04 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this, but there has been discussion and debate about the owners club on this thread so here I go:

I have received a communication from the club recognising and apologising for my poor experiences with the club. They have also refunded my membership fees for last year.

I would like to openly thank the club committee for this gesture. Seeking a refund was never the reason for my whinging, but I sincerely appreciate the gesture of goodwill.

I had the opportunity to meet and chat with Alex at the NEC and outlined my quibbles and issues and I appreciated that he took the time to take them on board.

Given time I am sure the club will sort out its first year niggles and I will follow its developments with interest and with a view to rejoining eventually.

Sadly, the fact that the refund and message were sent to my wife's paypal reiterates the reasons that I will not be renewing for the time being.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Alex SBY
Rover Guru

Post by Alex SBY » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:14 pm

Tom,

Many thanks for your response. We take all complaints and suggestions, seriously, and your suggestions have really made a difference, so thank you for raising them. As regards the refund, we apologise if this was sent to your wife's address. This is the address we have on the PayPal payment record, even though we have your PayPal address on record, we wanted to ensure the money got through, hence refunding direct to an email address that is currently on the system and linked to a previous payment. There is logic there...

Thank you again, and it was good to meet you at the NEC, hope you had a pleasant day out!

Speaking generally...

In terms of the other concerns with the Club, one thing I'm very keen to state is that it was never any intention that the club should do anything other than compliment and run alongside this existing group. Compliment, not compete was what all of us who went to that meeting at Cowley in 2015 wanted to ensure took place.

The most important thing is the cars, and their future preservation. Politics isn't my bag. Having seen some of the feedback it's clear that we have work to do - and one thing I've taken away is that there needs to be far more communication between the club and this group. This is something I know needs improving and I'm sorry that for various reasons (life, getting on with the club, etc. etc.) this hasn't happened. it has not been deliberate. Communication is important and it will be improved. If something isn't right, we'll do our best to make it right.

All the best,

Alex.
One or two 800s...