PhotoBucket Jan 2017

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
scoobyh123
Rover Guru

PhotoBucket Jan 2017

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi All,

it seems PhotoBucket has gone "all diva" on us and is behaving like PhotoBuck-Ay (Hyacinth Buck-Ays long lost relative :wink: ) and isn't working properly.
The other day when i went to upload some pictures it flashed up a message saying they were doing maintenance on the site and it might be a bit slower but should still work - they lied! :evil:
It's still not working properly as far as i can see, images that have been posted in various threads are simple being shown as "Image" on my computer. That said my internet is incredibly slow at the moment, has been for some time now but moreso just now, perhaps because i've decided to change ISPs and the old one is "punishing" me. Be that as it may, PhotoBuck-Ay is still a PITA for doing this!

If a picture paints a thousand words, we've all got a lot of typing to do! :lol: Let's hope they get it fixed sooner rather than later! :wink: :D

<Note to Admin - i wasn't sure whether to put this in the Announcements and Events section or the Say What You Like section - as it directly effects the forum i felt this was better, if you don't agree feel free to move it to wherever else. :D >
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: PhotoBucket Jan 2017

Post by CHR15E » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:55 pm

I've been finding it ropey for quite some time TBH.

Sometimes having to upload in different ways as it logs me out.

It's been loosely mentioned by Simon a few days ago about trying to find an alternative. It would be a huge task to start going through all the threads and redoing the links from another site.

If it were possible, hosting it directly with the forum would be best but that would be down to James AFAIK?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:44 pm

It's certainly had its moments recently, that's for sure!

The one drawback about on-site hosting is the storage space needed. I don't know the scale of charges but i've heard web-domain-hosts charge quite heavily and while i know James hosts the site on one of his servers, presumably there's an extra cost involved in having that much more storage.

As you say, going through the whole site and uploading all the images to a new photo host then transferring the new links into the posts would be a monumental task. I expect some sort of software whizz could make a program to do it automatically but it would still take a lot of time to run it.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:02 pm

I have had some problems lately, mostly it is just very slow, you need to wait long periods while it loads itself, probably to many adverts all the time.. regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Not noticed any problems myself. Maybe it is down to the ISP.

The landline broadband round here is less effective than semaphore relays, so I use 3G mobile dongles at home and work.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:31 pm

thamestyres wrote:I have had some problems lately, mostly it is just very slow, you need to wait long periods while it loads itself, probably to many adverts all the time.. regards ricky
I was ignoring the extra slowness as much of it came just after two weeks ago come friday when i decided to change my ISP and since then i've had extremely slow internet - it struggles to 11Mbps which is the minimum they guarantee for the line. However they don't say how long it takes to achieve this as long as it does if you get my meaning. In other words it could download about 99% of a page at 0.5Mbps then the last 1% at 11Mbps so it has in theory at least, reached the minimum speed guaranteed.
traineefarmer wrote:Not noticed any problems myself. Maybe it is down to the ISP.

The landline broadband round here is less effective than semaphore relays, so I use 3G mobile dongles at home and work.
At least you have that option Tom - round here the signal is nigh on extinct (as you know!) although just lately i've noticed on my mobile i've actually had signal at times and this weird thing in the top corner saying "4G"! :shock: It's never lasted long and always been late evening (no other times) so i suspect they're testing a new or upgraded cell site.

I wondered about ISPs myself but something else crossed my mind - browsers. I've used Firefox for several years now and just before Photobucket came back to life earlier this evening, Firefox did an update. Maybe we were all wrongly condemning PHotobucket?
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate