Proposed new section - Car historys

Changes to website and forum will be posted here along with upcoming events offsite that may be of interest!

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Proposed new section - Car historys

Post by CHR15E » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:34 pm

After seeing the post about 827 coupe that I'm sure someone went to see in the past I reckon we should start some sort of database/history of 800s we spot on ebay and wherever?

What I have in mind for example is to have a thread title to include the reg number of the car if available along with the model etc.

Within the post, a copy of any ad from ebay or wherever along with pics being saved to the group photobucket account and posted here.

A big problem in the future is that ebay listings expire so the info is not always available later on.

Along with any relevant info after a viewing by a forum member.

In time it should give quite a detailed picture of a car.

Alot of this is basically being done when cars are posted in the ebay section anyway so why not make it that bit more useful?

Good idea or a waste of time, your thoughts please. :D
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Mike V
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Mike V » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:43 pm

I always thought this would be a good idea for every car on the road. Obviously way too much effort required though. If its just 800's it would be more feasible.
:wink:

I like the idea of having a database with the location of the car, spec, condition. Previous owners could comment on what the car has been used for, towing etc, what major mechanical work has been done, timing belts etc.

It will most likely take some time to build up a decent sized database but Im sure it will be beneficial in the end.
MIKE V

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:03 pm

Sounds like a good idea.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

BRG
Rover Guru

Post by BRG » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:38 am

It is a good idea.

Every car on the road nowadays, it seems like every minute of it's life can be accounted for; Swansea & the polis. Between them they've pretty much got it mapped.

Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. Course not. But, as Chris points out, when a car is between owners, and advertised for sale, how and where it's advertised can tell an awful lot of it's 'story', which you don't get to hear when it's taxed and ticketed and street legal.

It's also true, thanks to the chronic anoraksia of many people here ("Oooh! Look! That was for sale at a traders in Devon 6 months ago and it had a slight scuff on the driver's door catch! Presented here with scuff-free door catches! I'm suspicious, me!") that tabs are fairly well kept on most of the motors which we are primarily concerned with, but standardising or formalising or wtf you'd call it could only be good.

Except of course it would only give aforementioned saddo anoraks (they're more to be pitied than scolded, I can tell you. There but for the grace of god etc) even more minutae to fret over......

Only kiddin'. Yes, good idea.

(ps it's 'histories'. Not 'historys' :D
Admit it: You were enjoying my agreeing with you there, now you want to give me a slap..... :D )

(pps call me an anorak but I just checked the dictionary (I'm like that. I use the 1995 Oxford. Rarely fails me.) and it doesn't give a plural for 'history'. I suppose there is none, technically. If 'A' has a history, and 'B' has a history, then together there is still only a 'history of A and B'.
You could separate them, but still would say 'A and B both have history' (or 'both A and B have a history')

(ppps i reckon I've overcooked this one.......)
Last edited by BRG on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhilC
Regular Visitor

Post by PhilC » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:43 am

It would be a of great service to someone like me who is looking for a car to have others with vastly more experience who know these cars well giving their opinions. A chap off the Yahoo network had a good look at the pictures of the coupe I was looking at and pointed out some things to back up my gut feeling about it all. Does it need a separate forum?
1998 Rover Sterling 2.5 (Gone to car heaven)
2014 Ford Fiesta Titanium X
2003 Mercedes SL350
2009 Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 Elite
1983 Jago Geep 1.6 (Ford Xflow)
1985 Yak 52 (Group Share)
1968 Reims Cessna 172H (Group Share)

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:44 am

BRG wrote:(ps it's 'histories'. Not 'historys' :D
Admit it: You were enjoying my agreeing with you there, now you want to give me a slap..... :D )

(pps call me an anorak but I just checked the dictionary (I'm like that. I use the 1995 Oxford. Rarely fails me.) and it doesn't give a plural for 'history'. I suppose there is none, technically. If 'A' has a history, and 'B' has a history, then together there is still only a 'history of A and B'.
You could separate them, but still would say 'A and B both have history' (or 'both A and B have a history')

(ppps i reckon I've overcooked this one.......)
I nearly put histories then changed my mind. Oh well.
Chris

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:46 am

PhilC wrote:Does it need a separate forum?
Possibly not but it would mean a little more work when posting in the ebay section.
Chris