You meet all sorts of people

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Richard Moss
Site Owner

You meet all sorts of people

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Whilst getting the aircon regassed on my Jaguar today, the Syrian owner of the workshop noticed the Rover 800 logo on my polo shirt. "Ah", he said "I used to have a Rover, it was a 1994 one with a Honda six cylinder engine" - so of course, it had to be an 827. So we spent a while chatting and agreed that modern Jags are crap (nothing after the XJ40/X300 is worth having - it went downhill after they dropped the 4L AJ16 engine) and that the 800 was a better car than the 75.

It's good to find a kindred spirit out here.

PS: must get around to selling the Jag - it's a piece of crap but I'm so apathetic towards it that I can't even be bothered to advertise it!
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

vito
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: You meet all sorts of people

Post by vito » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:10 pm

Richard Moss wrote:Whilst getting the aircon regassed on my Jaguar today, the Syrian owner of the workshop noticed the Rover 800 logo on my polo shirt. "Ah", he said "I used to have a Rover, it was a 1994 one with a Honda six cylinder engine" - so of course, it had to be an 827. So we spent a while chatting and agreed that modern Jags are crap (nothing after the XJ40/X300 is worth having - it went downhill after they dropped the 4L AJ16 engine) and that the 800 was a better car than the 75.

It's good to find a kindred spirit out here.

PS: must get around to selling the Jag - it's a piece of crap but I'm so apathetic towards it that I can't even be bothered to advertise it!
Well I'm quite fond of mine, it's all subjective of course to ones personal opinion, you could just park it behind a sand dune and try and forget about it.
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

tonewheeldude
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by tonewheeldude » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:25 am

Yesterday I had to pop out to pick up a wiper blade (I had odd ones) and some trim cleaner (for Diesel Car Magazines visit tomorrow) and THREE people stopped to talk to me about the Coupe. one (the shop assistant) used to own a Sterling Saloon came out to have a sit in it and was happy to be reminded of how comfortable these cars are. Another was a mechanic who met me on the way into the shop was drawn by the sweet chattering of the diesel engine a third walked by a few times whilst I was in a shop just looking at it and stopped me as I went to get in. It did make a 20 minute trip to the shops into an hour but it was interesting.
Rover 825 Sterling Diesel Coupe (1999)

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:14 pm

He hasn't got it tucket away somewhere Richard, barn find, low milage, no rust etc etc. :roll:

Kate :D (well you can dream)
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Sadly he no longer has it
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT