car insurance rip off

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tiffa67
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

car insurance rip off

Post by tiffa67 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:02 pm

well just phoned flux about insurance for vitesse coupe which i'm hoping will pass mot saturday after being off road for 3 and a half years and my current 820 si hb which ends sunday night.
renewal £186 fully comp but because i got made redundant november last year they say it is now nearly £450 and the coupe would be over £900.
I checked confused and compare and cheapest is £271 unprotected and £285 protected declared as unemployed yet flux has the audacity to say i am not being penalised for being unemployed :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think i'll be using them again

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: car insurance rip off

Post by zcar12 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:33 pm

Had a problem myself with Flux last year, they insisted that I had made a claim in the last 9 years when I had made none. They made me feel uncomfortable so I cancelled two new policies I had set up with them, under the 14 day cooling off rules. Went to L & G for my 820 insurance last year, £117 with NCB protection. You need to shop around, loyalty to a company no longer has any value, very shortsighted I know. Why piss off a customer who has never claimed? Beats me. Hastings Direct quoted me £98. Don't get annoyed. Get even!.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:31 pm

Also don't put "Unemployed" down as your occupation, put down "House Husband" - it will get the premiums back to a sensible level.

Whether you're married, single or divorced, you live in a building of some description that could loosely be called a house, if you're not working (or even if you are) you still play a part in keeping it clean, doing household chores (cutting the grass, chasing the vacuum round once in a while etc) so if a woman can be a housewife doing those things, then in this age of alleged sexual equality, you can be a house husband, especially if it saves you in limb proportions on your insurance premium!

If any questions get asked as to why you've changed from "unemployed" to "House Husband", you reorganised your home life, if they don't ask then say nowt! :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:53 pm

Good thinking Dave! As you say no loyalty benefits any longer
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 am

When hunting for insurance for my daughter's car, each year i've had to change company to get a decent deal (thank you Sergei the Meerkat).

The first was aged 17 and she's only 21 now, so obviously I'm dealing with the most expensive end of the range :)
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:23 pm

Sergei isn't always the best. He gave me a quote from the CIS which was ok so I just thought I'd get a direct quote from them myself too. I saved £70 by going direct and when I tried to claim a Meerkat they said I wasn't eligible as I hadn't booked it with the CIS through their website. So, now I know the Meerkat toys are worth around £70.
I got a really good quote from Saga last year (my renewal is up soon) so I'll see what they come up with. I'll still shop around though. As Richard says, never take the renewal quote as a good one.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:25 pm

I fell foul of the same Meerkat Money-grabbing several years ago Gordon. On that basis mine would have been worth £15.

The big point about it is you never get something for nothing, all the big brokers/comparison sites advertise on tv, the smaller ones tend to advertise in things like Practical Classics and other magazines. Don't forget tv advertising costs an arm and a leg, adverts in magazines are considerably cheaper.

The smaller brokers still need to earn a crust so where does the extra money come from for the tv advertising? The likes of you, me, Richard et al that have responded to tv adverts and pay through the nose for the premium.

Don't get me wrong, i'll still use comparison sites to get a benchmark then i'll shop around. So far the past few years Lancaster have come up with the best figures for me, it hasn't stopped me double-checking the renewal against other providers though, just to make sure. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:54 pm

My MGC is done through Footman James because they know their way around the classic market but when I'm paying for 3 other UK cars (wife's Kia Soul and Rover Cabrio plus daughter's Rover 100), I need to keep costs manageable.

The cabrio is up for renewal next month - I will check Footman James for that.
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT