Awkward Parking.

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Awkward Parking.

Post by zcar12 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:37 am

The lady across the road from me has a boyfriend who parks his vans right across the road from the entrance to my driveway. This makes getting in and out very difficult for me. (See picture)

I have asked him politely not to park there but he still does it. I always reverse into my driveway as going out in reverse would increase the chances of being run into by a careless driver. Backing in requires me to reverse initially at a 45 degree angle until the front of my car just clears the van, when I can apply full lock. Often I get this maneuver almost right but have to go forwards again, without hitting the van. Last night, it finally happened, I hit the van, at very low speed and put a couple of small dents in it.

I have no wish to rub this guy up the wrong way but I feel my consciounse is clear. I have pointed out to him that he could park a few hundred yards down the hill but got a dusty answer. There are double yellow lines both sides of the road and a sign saying not to park there between 10AM and 10PM. But he has been parking there now for 6 months. Maybe I should look for a parking warden and have a word.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Awkward Parking.

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue May 22, 2018 12:11 pm

I think the solution is staring you in the face Nick - 01271 865310 - ring his boss and explain you don't want to have to go down the legal route, the Police would take a dim view of obstruction, especially if emergency vehicles needed access but you've asked the driver politely and were more or less told to "go away" and he's continued to park not only illegally (double yellows are 24/7 so the sign is in addition, maybe there are local bye-laws allowing parking overnight but i doubt it) and cause you great inconvenience, not to mention the fact you've nearly hit the van as a result.

You have photographic evidence and from the state of the van, they obviously don't care if that gets knocked but you do car about your car. Their website is no longer active although their head office is listed as 23 Fairfield , Ilfracombe , EX349ND which is a nice little bungalow on the seaward side of Fairfield with a garage to the right with triple wooden doors and a big number "23" above them.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/23+ ... -4.1178638

You may have to navigate a bit but that should take you to the Google Streetview page for it.

If phoning his boss doesn't do any good, maybe the Police will "advise" him not to park on double-yellows or you could find a friendly blue-striped parking vulture aka traffic warden or Parking Enforcement Officer as some areas call them these days.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

zcar12
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by zcar12 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:55 pm

Ignore the first picture I posted of a sign written van, it was there this morning, and I wanted to illustrate my parking problem and how someone parking there can make things difficult for me. The van there last night was white and not sign written, this is the van that is usually there to give me a problem. You can see the dent I put in it last night.

My 820 is 16 feet long and does not have a great steering lock, compared to the Mondeo I sold recently. I live at the narrowest part of my road and there are several schools close by so you can imagine how dangerous it can be pulling out of my drive, when an impatient mum is running late that day, trying to get her little monsters to and from school on time.. The standard of driving is awesome to behold, speeding past parked cars at well over the legal or safe limit.

The local council is only responsible for local car parks, its the county council that enforces the regulations on road parking. They have an online form to report pavement parking so I filled it out. Tomorrow, I will have a look for a Parking Enforcement Officer and see what I can put in motion.

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Tue May 22, 2018 6:15 pm

I think it's just the world we live in today full of arrogance and ignorance, and no care or consideration for others.. seems to be the norm unfortunately.. regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:14 pm

thamestyres wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 6:15 pm
I think it's just the world we live in today full of arrogance and ignorance, and no care or consideration for others.. seems to be the norm unfortunately.. regards ricky
It's what i call the "Me first" attitude and most people seem to have it sadly - no consideration for how their actions effect others and even less care.
zcar12 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:55 pm

My 820 is 16 feet long and does not have a great steering lock, compared to the Mondeo I sold recently.
I thought this comment of yours was a bit odd Nick as in my experience, the 800s have always turned tighter than the Mondeos, despite being a few inches longer.

The only figure i could find online for the Mondeo is an 11.64m turning circle. The 800 on 15" wheels (according to the Rover WSM) is 11.4m or 11.56m on 16" wheels, both "kerb-to-kerb" measurements - not sure if that's how the Mondeo was quoted or not.

That makes life a lot more tricky for you if it isn't sign written. Parking vultures it is then!

Or find some local thugs and bung them a few quid to vandalise his van! :twisted: :P Once or twice his boss will probably wear it, more than that and he'll get told to park it elsewhere - thing is you have to live there so probably not the best idea! :lol:

As an aside, i checked the turning circle for my Volvo - 32ft (9.7m) - no wonder i get strange looks when i park it! :shock: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 pm

With respect to turning circles of the 800 versus the Mondeo: The steering lock on the Mondeo made things much easier for me, although the 800 steering feels much lighter than the Mondeo. I could definitely tell the difference when getting out of my drive. I reckon the Mondeo turning circle was at minimum 2 feet tighter.

Bumped into the Parking Enforcement Officer in the town and had an interesting conversation with him. Once I showed him I was not an aggrieved customer, he was quite friendly. I just need to give him a call when my problem shows up again (as it has from 6 pm tonight as usual) and if he can, he will pop along and "assess things" (His actual words)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:19 pm

Interesting comments about the Mondeo Nick - if the figures i quoted for the Mondeo were "between walls" and not "kerb-to-kerb" like the 800s figures then the Mondeo could well turn tighter than the 800 - without that extra data it's difficult to tell!

As for your "irritation", hopefully the PEO will be able to slap a ticket or three on him over coming days/weeks.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:05 am

Walking home from my Yoga session last night, I noticed that the van which has been causing my awkward parking problems was actually parked 200 yards away down the hill, where there is usually a few spaces to be found. Maybe the Parking Enforcement Officer happened to walk by and left a ticket on his windscreen, when the van was parked in breach of the regulations. Who knows?

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:14 am

Fingers crossed it isn't a one-off and he parks there from now on Nick!

I tried Yoga once, could barely walk afterwards, never mind walk home! :lol: :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

zcar12
Regular Visitor

Post by zcar12 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Dave, Yoga does not suit everyone. My session is one and a half hours long and sometimes, the session is hard to get through. I do Yoga only because I hate it. That must sound strange but I have had 10 years of poor health. I was finding it harder and harder to take care of jobs around the home and to do work on my car. I even put it up for sale at one point. I decided I needed to work towards better health since I am fundamentally lazy and was taking no exercise. At least this way I am forced to exercise once a week. I also tried Tai Chi, a one hour session. I found it even more exhausting than Yoga, although it has much gentler movements.

Eight years back, I could barely walk 50 yards before joint pain made me rest. Today, I can walk two or three miles with no joint pain, my heart does not pound and I am not breathless. So I feel that I am on the right path to better health. Its hard and often painful to exercise but the benefits I am seeing make it well worth doing.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:35 pm

Funny thing is Nick, when i tried it i was a lot younger without most of the medical problems i now have. I was in a very active job, reckon i walked about 10 miles a day at work, never mind anything else! Also because of the nature of my job, would often find myself in very strange positions that even yoga couldn't replicate! :shock:

As you say, it's not for everyone! That said i do try to keep active for the other reasons/benefits you describe but when i can't walk more than about 4 steps because of joint pain, 50 yards is a serious mission! Walking 2-3 miles would be lovely but not possible, 2-3m (metres) is just about possible. Then rest and attack the next few steps. Repeat. Continue repeating until destination or exhaustion reached. :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

SJG
Site Admin

Post by SJG » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:09 pm

zcar12 wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:15 pm
Eight years back, I could barely walk 50 yards before joint pain made me rest. Today, I can walk two or three miles with no joint pain, my heart does not pound and I am not breathless. So I feel that I am on the right path to better health. Its hard and often painful to exercise but the benefits I am seeing make it well worth doing.
Sincerely, good for you, I admire people like you for what you have and are doing.
Simon

Rover Vitesse Coupe - 1997