Thinking of a change

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DLR
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thinking of a change

Post by DLR » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:51 pm

Just a few thoughts, really. Recently a few changes have been taking place in my life and I am now in a position where I am thinking of changing car as well. Trouble is I don't know what path to go down.

The 820e will be going to its new owner once he has sorted some storage so I will not have 'that' hanging over me, waiting to be made legal. Once that has gone I will have adequate parking for two cars again. Now I am either thinking of replacing my 'daily' 800 with another one - either a coupe or a Sterling of some description. There is nothing necessarily wrong with my 820Si, I just fancy a change after having it for a year (I kid you not, the other cars I've had have lasted 6 months MAX). Either that, or I am thinking get something else to run along with my 800 - something smaller in the lower tax bracket and completely different to the 800, but small enough to afford the running costs with the bigger car.

So my question is, people of the 800 forum, do I:

a) Replace the 820Si with a different 800
b) Replace the 800 with a different car (if so, what?)
c) Keep the 800 and buy a 'second' smaller car (if so, what?)
d) Keep the 820Si and get on with it

All suggestions welcome and I'm keen to know what suggestions you may have for potential replacements. I've scoured the online ads and nothing jumps from the screen (budget of <£1,000). Although I've seen a lovely Daihatsu Charade on ebay...

For reference, have a photo of the car that's potentially up for grabs if I go down the 'alternative' route in the next month or so:

Last edited by DLR on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

rovercoup
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thinking of a change

Post by rovercoup » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:00 am

if it was ME keep the 800 and get another. a coupe!! unless the sale was to a memeber or 800 fan. you would only regret the sale once sold and driving your souless tinbox for a week
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

pre_pace
Regular Visitor

Post by pre_pace » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:41 am

That's a great colour. Sourcing a coupe would be my choice I think. A departure away from an 800 will only mean that in time you'll end up buying one again anyway, sometime soon. Failing that keep the 800 and go for a standard MGZR as late as you can get, and stick with the 1400 to keep costs low. Good luck with the choice.
David.

1990 R8 Rover 416 GSi
1998 R8 Rover 416 SE Tourer

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:16 am

You're a young man so, as long as the insurance doesn't prohibit you, I would sell the 820 (as you've never really been 100% happy with it) and go for a Coupe. It's a better image for you, too.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:51 am

A coupe gets my vote to
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:04 am

See the 820 isn't a bad car, yes it has a few foibles but it is a good workhorse. Just lacking in that certain something, which is probably why I've never bothered to install these add-ons I've accumulated for it.

Insurance is the only issue - although I am at the end of the first year now so hopefully it'll be cheaper come renewal time in May. Brad - I'm paying so much on insurance it doesn't make a difference what I drive. A 2.7 Sterling would be the same price as what I'm paying now. As would a 2.0 turbo. Unfortunately I can't afford two of these at once, otherwise the 820e would have been back on the road months ago!

If I replace it then the 820 will probably stay in the household. Give it to Old Man Rivers, make up for 20 years of being a little sod! Best get looking for a coupe!

pre_pace
Regular Visitor

Post by pre_pace » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:09 am

How about this as a choice? Quite unusual and a bit of fun.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-25-1-8- ... 27cfe6bc0c
David.

1990 R8 Rover 416 GSi
1998 R8 Rover 416 SE Tourer

Tenesmus
Rover Guru

Post by Tenesmus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:48 pm

Pete
Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto 2.5 and a 1998 Honda VTR1000 Firestorm. 827 has moved on...

DLR
Rover Guru

Post by DLR » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:45 am

I had to satisfy my curiosity yesterday and went to look at a Rover 75. Well it seems like the logical step, being the 800's successor. This one, in fact:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 6067531182

Insurance would be cheaper than the 820, but only by a few pence. But my God what a lovely car the 75 is! This was the first time I had been in one and whilst the one I looked at was not blessed with spec it felt so well built. On the road it felt smoother than the 800 by miles, but the steering and clutch felt somewhat heavier (although the 820 is featherlight). The 2 litre V6 was so quiet at idle I thought I'd stalled at the lights! Not an urgent car, not to be rushed off the line but when up to speed it was tremendously quick for what felt like a tank.

One owner from new, literally no blemishes on the bodywork. Interior as-new, no history of mechanical failure. Only issues are the drivers window switch which needs replacing and the remote key has lost the lock button (alas no spare). Needs a good clean.

Why on earth did I say no?! Is it wrong to think of replacing the 820 with a 75?

BennyVitesse
Rover Guru

Post by BennyVitesse » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:02 pm

Those early 75s were very very well made, the solid thunk of the doors closing hasn't been heard on a Rover since the days of the P5 and P6 IMO. That example was very low spec and manual which is always a worry as the clutches seem to go wrong relatively frequently. Its worth bearing in mind the direction BMW wanted this car to go in (non sporty) so they won't handle the same as the 800s although the R17 in non Vitesse form always seemed a bit wobbly to me. I had a prelaunch 2.0 Connoisseur auto in 2011 and loved it but circumstances changed and I couldn't afford to run it anymore. That had over 119k on the clock and still looked good!

If you want a 75 keep looking, there are better examples out there than that Classic example I'd also consider having an auto over a manual as those clutches do seem to be a bit rubbish.
Ben

1996 Rover 111 Knightsbridge SE
2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur CDT
2016 Toyota Yaris Bi-Tone Hybrid
2017 Nissan Leaf 30kW Tekna

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:35 pm

Definitely auto, not a manual.

How about a diesel auto? BMW engine, good economy, very smooth. You'll possibly pay a touch more but the unreliability issues of the 1.8 K series and 2.0/2.5 KV6 engines will be avoided.

Happy hunting - there are plenty for sale. But they'll be gone in a few years and you'll scratch about trying to find one this side of the English Channel.
No longer an 800 owner!

Richard C
Site Admin

Post by Richard C » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:22 am

Very Tall Brad wrote: How about a diesel auto? BMW engine, good economy, very smooth. You'll possibly pay a touch more but the unreliability issues of the 1.8 K series and 2.0/2.5 KV6 engines will be avoided.
Seconded
Richard

@Rich_Clements

1989 827 Si Fastback, Manual, Pulsar Silver Metalic
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDTi EcoFlex, Macadamia