Alternator issue

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Alternator issue

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:20 am

Okay, so this is on a Renault. It's a 3.5 V6 Nissan 350Z unit and the fault I get is that the alternator is only charging once the engine has warmed up. The battery, all belts and all connections/earths have been renewed or cleaned.

Any ideas?

Anyone?

Please.
No longer an 800 owner!

traineefarmer
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Alternator issue

Post by traineefarmer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:38 pm

Sounds like the rectifier/regulator pack within the alternator has a failed component or a dry joint. A refurb or replacement is your best option.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks Tom.

There's another £500 I'll need to find. That's more than the car cost me!

Brad
No longer an 800 owner!

Nuts4my827
Rover Guru

Post by Nuts4my827 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:50 pm

You can get the voltage regulator units on their own, and the brushes too if you have a look around.

Also, what Renault comes with the 350Z power plant?!
Phil B
95 827 Stirling: Nightfire Saloon.
96 Coupé 827 Manual White Gold.
97 Coupé 820 Vitesse Gunmetal.
99 820 Vitesse Nightfire Fastback. SERIOUS amount of welding done. Lived in a fettid garage for years.
EX 1994 Saloon Rover 827 SLi White Gold- RIP.

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:17 pm

Not really worth the hassle as I can get a new alternator for £135. It's the labour in getting it fitted that's the issue.

All Vel Satis 3.5 versions have the 350 Z engine. Same as in the Nissan Murano but slightly detuned to 265bhp.
No longer an 800 owner!

CHR15E
Site Admin

Post by CHR15E » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:53 pm

You can get it in an Espace too?
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

thamestyres
Rover Guru

Post by thamestyres » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:02 pm

the 350z boys that I know refer to it as a Renault engine, "that good no one wants to admit to it", although it does seem to be quite reliable in general.. regards ricky
Rover Sterling KV6 V.reg 4 tailpipes and rs5 wheels (sold) :shock:
home of the "Mad Maestro"
1935 morris 18/6, having a near end of life rejuvenation, xj6 running gear..

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:04 am

I've never heard that description. Interesting.

The engines do have a good reputation for power and reliability.
No longer an 800 owner!

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:48 am

First of all Brad, i would check all your fuses. Secondly, does it have that god-awful Renault instrument panel? You know the one that has failure built in? A trip to the http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthre ... 912&page=3 might help. I appreciate that links to the Scenic instrument panel problems but if the Vel Satis uses a similar panel that would be a good place to start.

Lastly, what's the engine code on the 3.5 lump? I can't remember the code for the multivalve Nissan V6 but the 12 Valve 3.0 i had was VG30E so would expect it to be along the lines of VG35Ex where x denotes 4 valves per cylinder or T for turbo etc. Assuming it is a Nissan unit the chances are it has a Jap alternator. For the most part they are almost bullet-proof and rarely die (witness the 827 alternators outlasting the Lucas offerings on the T-series 800s) but if it's a French alternator, then yes it will fail.
That said the fault you describe sounds infinitely more like a control side problem i.e. the instrument panel. Much easier to remove and test and at one point, Renault were replacing them free of charge (no pun intended!) even for non-original victims (aka customers) but now charge a flat fee of £100 i believe.
There are many companies around that will repair fault panels, however with Renault offering such a good deal in the first place on replacement i would make them my first port of call.

Hope that helps, keep us posted!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Very Tall Brad
Rover Guru

Post by Very Tall Brad » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks Dave

I've never read about any Vel Satis instrument issues and never had any. Unlike the many Espaces and Avantimes I've owned!

The engine code is V4Y.

The alternator is an Hitachi.

I'm not as skilled as you but the fault is only when cold. It clears once the car is warned up. This takes about ten minutes. I can't see how it could be a fuse.

However, before swapping it over (big job) I shall look at the wiring etc for anything obvious. I may even get an auto electrician involved as I am way out of my depth when it comes to diagnostics and electrics.

Maybe owning a car where the ABS disables should a brake light bulb blow is a car to avoid. But, aside from lousy diesel and 2.0 petrol engine reliability, they are pretty good and interesting cars and very well designed for a giant like me.

Thank you for all your thoughts and suggestions, Dave.
No longer an 800 owner!