does anyone know....

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bensurf
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

does anyone know....

Post by bensurf » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:56 pm

http://www.rover800.info/forum/viewtopi ... 992#p43874

....the user that owns this Vitesse from 2010?

I'm on the lookout for a late vittesse fastback or a mk1 vitesse to keep as a garaged weekend car. condition must be first class with low miles.

thanks

Ben

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: does anyone know....

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:17 am

Welcome Ben! You're going to be lucky to find a Mk1 Vitesse in any condition, the good ones tend to be hung onto by their owners and the bad ones are probably razor blades by now sadly - those that aren't will need restoring.
Newer ones are most likely to be the 200bhp Vitesse Sport 2.0 turbo whereas the Mk1 Vitesse was only ever available with the Honda C27 engine. Same goes for the early Mk2s although the 2.0t made an appearance about 1994 if memory serves correctly. After the 1996 "BMW Watershed", the only Vitesse models were 2.0t in either Vitesse (180bhp) or Vitesse Sport (200bhp) form.

As for finding any car in first class condition, i would think you'd be extremely lucky. Yes they are out there but so are needles in haystacks. When you get model and mileage specific, things get harder still. You may be better off buying whatever you can find in as good condition and low (ish) mileage as possible and thenspending the rest of your budget on going over it with a fine toothed comb, fixing anything and everything that needs doing and maybe a respray too. At least then you'd know the car was right from the ground up rather than a highly polished turd that someone has bodged and clocked to get a lot of money but is in fact one of the worst examples to turn a wheel.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit negative, it's intended as being realistic and as much as i love the 800, there aren't many "perfect" examples left and i think you'll need to compromise somewhere. Hopefully my words will make that compromise easier and maybe more informed although i have to admit, there are plenty of others on here that know the Vitesse better than i do.

With luck one or more of them will be along at some point to give you some more Vitesse specific advice and maybe even know of one or more for sale.

Good luck with your search!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

bensurf
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by bensurf » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:37 pm

scoobyh123 wrote:Welcome Ben! You're going to be lucky to find a Mk1 Vitesse in any condition, the good ones tend to be hung onto by their owners and the bad ones are probably razor blades by now sadly - those that aren't will need restoring.
Newer ones are most likely to be the 200bhp Vitesse Sport 2.0 turbo whereas the Mk1 Vitesse was only ever available with the Honda C27 engine. Same goes for the early Mk2s although the 2.0t made an appearance about 1994 if memory serves correctly. After the 1996 "BMW Watershed", the only Vitesse models were 2.0t in either Vitesse (180bhp) or Vitesse Sport (200bhp) form.

As for finding any car in first class condition, i would think you'd be extremely lucky. Yes they are out there but so are needles in haystacks. When you get model and mileage specific, things get harder still. You may be better off buying whatever you can find in as good condition and low (ish) mileage as possible and thenspending the rest of your budget on going over it with a fine toothed comb, fixing anything and everything that needs doing and maybe a respray too. At least then you'd know the car was right from the ground up rather than a highly polished turd that someone has bodged and clocked to get a lot of money but is in fact one of the worst examples to turn a wheel.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit negative, it's intended as being realistic and as much as i love the 800, there aren't many "perfect" examples left and i think you'll need to compromise somewhere. Hopefully my words will make that compromise easier and maybe more informed although i have to admit, there are plenty of others on here that know the Vitesse better than i do.

With luck one or more of them will be along at some point to give you some more Vitesse specific advice and maybe even know of one or more for sale.

Good luck with your search!

Hi thanks for the detailed response.
I'm willing to wait for the right car and my post was really to put the word out there - if any owner has either a mk1 vitesse or a late mk2 vitesse that they are thinking of selling in the future i would be interested in hearing from them.
As i said i am looking for a great example and dont really want to compromise much. so either a mk1 tickford turbo, 2.7 vitesse or a late 200 vitesse sport fastback.
willing to wait!

Thanks

TDHFastback

Post by TDHFastback » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Welcome aboard teh flagship Ben

Kate :D
D reg Rover 820Si Saloon. No space for a a saloon in this rootin tootin town
G reg Rover 820SE Fastback (my every day runabout) that ran off.
G reg Rover 827Si police Fastback (last Mk1 jam sandwich)
V reg Rover 825 Sterling Fastback (end of an era)