If you could change the design of one thing...

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

CHR15E
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: If you could change the design of one thing...

Post by CHR15E » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:49 pm

deano wrote:The roof lining is still at the same height inside...
But when the sunroof is installed the lining is cutback around the aperture and the sliding shade panel sits an inch or so above the roof lining
open that and gain another inch or so before the glass

or as you say, just leave it open :)
Not in an 800 it doesn't mate, please see the PIC above for reference.

It's a totally different roof lining in a car without a sunroof as it follows the roof itself. Not following the sunroof cassette as the rest do. It's quite s difference in reality.
Chris
19 Vauxhall Astra 1.6T SRi Nav Estate
08 Vauxhall Astra 2.0T Design Twintop
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 V8 HO

Previously owned 57 800s 2000-2012
Relapse of 1 in 2021 Now Sold

Dickie524
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Dickie524 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:00 pm

Got to concur with Chris here - you see that bit just rear of the sunvisors on Chris's pic where the roof steps up? In a sunroof model that's just flat across, the 'cassette' as they are known bolts up to the roof rails and takes about 1.2 - 2" - the glass has to slide backwards inside this area. It's a totally different headlining to a sunroof model - a very thin piece of fibreglass (you can almost see through it!) I foolishly had mine re-covered about a year ago - >£200!! (One to remember when looking at those ebay adds that say - droopy headlining but an easy fix!) But taking it out to take to the trimmers showed that there was no room behind it...

Yep - mine's a fastback with no sunroof - possibly unique?!

How did you align the headlights to the indicators Phil?

That said I suspect Deano means that as a joke - i.e sticking one's head out of the roof!
Richard
(1997 820Si / LPG)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:40 am

Dickie524 wrote:
How did you align the headlights to the indicators Phil?

Not sure how soon Phil will see this so i'll try to explain.

Short explanation is with trial, error, patience (lots of!), blood, sweat, tears and swearing (optional!), a No2 and No3 Pozi-driv and perhaps a pair of pliers.

First you remove the indicators (seriously) to gain access to the securing screw (No2 Pozi)that holds the headlamp to the sheet of bodywork between the indicator and the headlamp. Now remove the two No3 pozi headed screws from on top of the headlamp. Pull the top of the headlamp forward (towards the front of the car) and slide it inboard to release the bar from the clip on the lower body panel or bumper iron, depending on the year.

Now, using the pliers you adjust the end of the bar to raise or lower the inner end of the headlamp relative to the indicator to get it level and when you riefit the light unit, you can fine tune the position with the two top mounting screws and the screw that secures the headlamp to the body panel where you can also adjust the headlamp a little more.

Afterwards you will probably need to get the headlamp aim checked/adjusted with a beamsetter/headlamp aim machine. There are separate screws to adjust the beam aim so you won't disturb all your efforts to get the light unit sitting right.

That's the basics, takes a lot of time and patience to get them anywhere near right but definitely worth it if you can. While you're at it, check the bonnet alignment to make sure that isn't making the headlamps look wrong as well - there is adjustment on the lock pins each side, the rubber buffers on the end of the wings/slam panel so you can get it level relative to the wings each side.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Dickie524
Regular Visitor

Post by Dickie524 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:45 am

Awesomes, Thanks Dave!
Richard
(1997 820Si / LPG)

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Dickie524 wrote:
Yep - mine's a fastback with no sunroof - possibly unique?!
My 1996 820i (P171 HOC) had no sunroof, in fact it had nothing much at all apart from electric windows at the front.
I think Rover fitted electric door mirrors too, an improvement over the MK1's joystick controlled ones.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

Dickie524
Regular Visitor

Post by Dickie524 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:56 am

Back on topic, I've thought of another one:

Why isn't the fuel filler cap on the same side as the driver? They were a UK car for the UK market so beats me why its on the PAX side.

An additional benefit would be that there's generally less crud in the middle of the road to get flung up by the wheel, trapped behind the filler neck, and cause it to rot!!
Richard
(1997 820Si / LPG)

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:40 pm

I was told once that the LH side is the correct position for a UK car and it is all these foreign types that prefer the RH side.

Apparently it all harks back to days of old when pumps were sited on high street garages and tended to be at the side of the kerb, so you would pull over and the filler would be on the correct side to fill up.

I'm not sure whether this is actually true, but is a good story and would have been completely irrelevant anyway on a car designed in the '80s which was supposed to relaunch BLARG on the US and European export markets.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

Dickie524
Regular Visitor

Post by Dickie524 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:36 pm

Apparently it all harks back to days of old when pumps were sited on high street garages and tended to be at the side of the kerb, so you would pull over and the filler would be on the correct side to fill up.
Makes sense - I love trivia like this!

Interestingly a couple of years ago I owned both an Allegro and a Maxi concurrently - and I seem to remember them being on different sides from each other!
Last edited by Dickie524 on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard
(1997 820Si / LPG)

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:01 pm

I heard the filler was on the left because the main market would be the USA so they could pull up to the pump get out, walk 2 paces and fill up - laziness in other words!

Don't know if there's any truth in that but Toms theory seems pretty logical and would tie in with "foreigners" who drive on the wrong side of the road having the fillers on the right hand side as they would also pull up to their nearside kerb where the fuel pumps were.

Personally i'm glad it's on the left, usually there is a queue for the pumps full of "right side fill" cars with all the pumps for "left side fill" being clear :wink: :D
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!

Post by Alucard7002 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:18 pm

I take great pleasure the odd time I fill up with both Petrol and LPG

The stations that have the pumps only one car width apart are the best.

Fill 65l of LPG, then when I put it all away, the person behind starts their car to move forwards just as I lift the petrol pump and fill up 10- 15l of petrol! The look on their face is priceless! :lol:
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:06 pm

Alucard7002 wrote:I take great pleasure the odd time I fill up with both Petrol and LPG

The stations that have the pumps only one car width apart are the best.

Fill 65l of LPG, then when I put it all away, the person behind starts their car to move forwards just as I lift the petrol pump and fill up 10- 15l of petrol! The look on their face is priceless! :lol:
He He, had the same pleasure a few years ago with an ex Everest Double Glazing petrol Sprinter LWB I had, used to fill up with petrol then LPG, cashiers used to get very confused at which fuel pump number, no-one ever believed my Sprinter was a petrol, great blue and white paint job though ....................
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.