Voisin

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Charles827si
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Voisin

Post by Charles827si » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:18 pm

I do like Rovers, but I also very much like these as well and have been lucky enough to see one this year at the Petersen Automotive Museum, Los Angeles.

The car featured is called a Voisin C25 Aérodyne. Derived from one of the most splendid car makers of the early 20th Century and inspired by aircraft design, these cars also inspired HG Wells movies and futurism. See link.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/4913 ... odyne.html
Charles 'Yorks'
"88 827si Fastback (manual) - Mum owned from new
"92 827 Coupe (manual)
"88 827sli Saloon (auto)
2011 Lexus IS220D F Sport
It's a stick shift? No, It's a grip shift!
ImageImage

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Re: Voisin

Post by scoobyh123 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:27 am

I've never been a fan of French cars and since having had at least 3 near misses because of French vehicles, i've hated them with a passion.

However, looking at that Voisin i can only say the guy had some real engineering talent and vision. Who knows what may have happened to the development of todays French cars if this man had been given the funding to make cars, preferably more affordable than this one so he could have become more widely known.

Looking at the specification it's hard to believe (with a couple of minor exceptions e.g. sleeve valves) that this car is 80 years old. Most of it is what you would expect on a late 60s/early 70s "innovative" car such as the cast iron block and aluminium alloy head, hydraulic drum brakes all round etc.

Like many things i suspect the majority "pooh-pooh'd" the ideas used at the time and as such it wasn't given the credance it deserved.

As for those aerodynamic "moon-disc" wheel covers, they were about 50 years ahead of their time too!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable