how many left?

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
deltaylo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

how many left?

Post by deltaylo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:38 am

I was advised to ask one of the admins how many left of my car. I am asking as I am told websites such as how many left are inaccurate. ( not sure about this)
My car is a 820 sli 16v manual. 1996 late model.
Thanks if anyone can answer the main question.

deano
Rover Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: how many left?

Post by deano » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:31 pm

5 but 4 of them are registered as SORN (off the road notice)

So that leaves one, on the road .

Click the link below...

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/rover_820_sli_16v
1993 Rover 827 SLI Fastback Mk2
1999 Rover 825 Sterling Saloon Mk2 (HGF)
------------------
Previously
1996 Rover 825 Sterling Coupe Mk2
1993 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk2
1990 Rover 827 Sterling Saloon Mk1
1972 Rover P6 2000TC

deltaylo

Post by deltaylo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:50 pm

Thanks deano this is where I looked initially. Are there any other sites?

rovercoup
Rover Guru

Post by rovercoup » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:11 pm

If you search for dollysprint in the members list and send him your chassis number he will be able to tell you when your car was made and exactly what spec it left the factory. Of course this doesn't really answer your question but this info is very hard to find, Dave being the club/forums archivist hold a lot of info and may be able to give you a better idea.

You may not get an answer straight away as he's is rather busy presently but I'm sure he will as and when he can.
Rover 827 Vitesse Fastback Man Mk1 89
Rover 827 Sterling saloon Auto 90
Rover 820 Fastback 2.0 MPi Auto 90
Rover 820 Coupe sport 94
Rover 827 Sterling Saloon 95 auto
Rover 820 Vitesse Fastback 98
Rover 25 2.0TD 01
MGTF 135 02
Rover 45 1.6 SE 05

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Del
I gave you your car details on Facebook but here's a bit more info.
There were 1,678 820 SLi manuals sold in the UK between January 1996 and end of production, officially 17th September 1998 but many hung around in dealers ect until well into 1999, some even have W registrations.
To give you some idea of how inaccurate "how many left" can be I just conducted a little experiment.
I checked the last 14 cars built to this spec on the DVLA enquiry website.
Of the 14 cars 7 show no record so have been scrapped probably
3 are untaxed, untested and not sorn, these cars never show up on "how many left" but still exist as far as DVLA are concerned.
1 is shown as sorn, which is strange because this car has been scrapped as it used to belong to a friend of mine and the engine and gearbox are now sat in my 98 Coupe!
3 are shown as taxed and mot'd well into 2016.

So that's a sample of 14 cars out of 1,678, but it was the last 14 cars so doesn't include yours which is also taxed and mot'd.
So in just a small sample it shows just how unreliable that website is.

If we broaden this out a bit this subject was raised at the club formation meeting on sunday, again quoting the "how many left" website, in order to try and gauge the likely success of a club. It was difficult to hear all the conversations but I think a figure of 1087 800's taxed or sorn was mentioned.
This is my personal view but I hope there is at least double that many 800's left because in order to make the club viable I think we will need about 400 members in order to generate sufficient income to run a club, at £15 membership thats £6000 per annum. Which is not a huge amount in the larger scheme of things when you start adding up liability insurance, events, regalia outlay, news letter/magazine and parts remanufacture hopefully.
Given that many of us own more than one 800, 3 or 4 in some cases then 1087 cars could belong to fewer than 300 or 400 people and not everyone wants to be in a club.
Its food for thought.

Dave
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:28 am

A little more anecdotal evidence about howmanyleft - i have a 93MY 827 Sterling auto saloon. Two years ago, according to howmanyleft, there was one of these left, which considering i owned one, it had to be mine, right? Wrong! Since then several have come up on ebay, all 93MY cars. There are a few more 827 Sterling auto saloons from 92-96 that howmanyleft admit to being in existence but they no longer list them as a separate model as there are so few left apparently. Same goes for the 827 SLi (92-96) which are lumped in with the Sterlings.

Also, just over 2 years ago when i got my 827 coupe, according to howmanyleft, there were just 30 left out of the 615 originally made.
This dropped to something like 22 recently with i think 17 SORN and 5 taxed, one of which was mine. Then there was a whole plethora of them on ebay and all of a sudden, howmanyleft are reporting 34 exist, 12 taxed and 22 SORN. This is down to the "barn find" phenomenon, where people have owned them for so long they still have an old style (pre-2001) log book and have never declared SORN as you couldn't with the old style log book and as far as i know, still can't. So until a car changes ownership and a new style log book is issued, it will remain "invisible".
If one of these "invisible" cars is scrapped without being passed into the hands of another owner then it remains invisible. However if it does find it's way into the hands of someone else, they will get a new style log book and have to declare SORN or tax it as applicable, which is why there was a sudden boost to the numbers showing as still around.

While none of this answers your question directly, it gives you a small insight into how the DVLA and howmanyleft (who get their data from DVLA) operate and coupled with Daves (Dollysprint) information, you can now make a more informed guess as to how rare your car is.
The 820 SLi was always quite a popular model because it had most of the equipment of the Sterlings but without the price tag. The 820 was also more popular than the bigger engined (825 and 827) cars because of the percieved economy. I say percieved as the 2.0 engine had to work harder to drag along what is essentially quite a heavy bodyshell. As such, there are times when the bigger engined cars fared better on fuel economy.
A classic illustration of this was the old SD1 models. The most economical round town? The 3.5 V8 auto! The least economical round town? The 2.0, 5-speed manual! I know something similar exists on the 800 but the difference isn't so blatant and i can't remember which engine/box combinations are best and worst.
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

deltaylo

Post by deltaylo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks for all the information fellas. To sum up there is basically no way to know. Even if the dvla gave a figure it will still be incorrect as not everyone updates them.
I am looking to pay the membership fee to keep the forum going, let me know how.
thanks again

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:59 pm

There is no membership fee for this forum. Free to use thanks to the good nature of Mr. Moss, Guru and the other admins. There is a newly formed 800 club that is independent of the forum which is now recruiting members.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

deltaylo

Post by deltaylo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:03 pm

OK NP I must have misread it lol no surprises there.

deltaylo

Post by deltaylo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:04 pm

Off this topic how do I add a pic of my car to my details that show on the left of posts?

vito
Rover Guru

Post by vito » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:18 pm

deltaylo wrote:Off this topic how do I add a pic of my car to my details that show on the left of posts?
Go to :

'User control panel' (upper left of this page)

click 'profile' tab

click 'edit avatar'
Gaz (or Gary if we're being formal)

2004 Streetwise Diesel 5 Door in Silver.

deltaylo

Post by deltaylo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Thanks

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:50 pm

When I do a search for J945PPL I get no results from the DVLA. Ok, it's been off the road for years but is still in excellent condition, recommissioning will take place some day. She is a white 820i base spec model with manual rear windows, sunroof and mirrors but does have the splendid special edition extras. There were Si models made with full electrics too.

edit. I do now. perhaps the beta site is better at getting the info from the database. Shows tax expired 2002 and no MOT details.
Last edited by BlueRover on Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock

dollysprint
Rover Guru

Post by dollysprint » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:56 pm

BlueRover wrote:When I do a search for J945PPL I get no results from the DVLA. Ok, it's been off the road for years but is still in excellent condition, recommissioning will take place some day. She is a white 820i base spec model with manual rear windows, sunroof and mirrors but does have the splendid special edition extras. There were Si models made with full electrics too.
[img]
New keepers must get tax before using the vehicle.
If you have taxed, made a SORN or had a MOT it can take up to 5 days for these details to be shown above. If you have a valid paper MoT certificate this is proof that the vehicle has been tested.

Vehicle details
Vehicle make ROVER Date of first registration 28 October 1991 Year of manufacture 1991 Cylinder capacity (cc) 1994cc CO₂Emissions Not available Fuel type PETROL Vehicle status Not taxed Vehicle colour WHITE Vehicle type approval Not available Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY Revenue weight Not available[/img]
1988 Sterling saloon 2.7 Auto Pulsar over gunmetal
1990 Sterling Saloon 2.7 Auto black over storm
1993 Coupe 2.7 auto white gold 1
2005 Ford Transit 2.4 lwb, Club van
2007 Jaguar X Type 2.2 manual Estate

BlueRover
Rover Guru

Post by BlueRover » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:58 pm

just edited my post ^^^
Gordon:-
Only two 800's now,white 1991 820i with TWR and full special order leather (been stood for 15 years) and now a Nightfire red Tickford with 135k on the clock