Honda Acura Legend forum recommendations

Anything to do with cars (non technical)

Moderators: guru, SJG

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Honda Acura Legend forum recommendations

Post by 820Vitesse » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:40 pm

Can you recommend any Legend forums, I have looked at ACURA-LEGEND.COM but wondered if you knew of any others I could have a snoop around and ask some questions, thanks
Jim

Alucard7002
Now with more then 1000 posts!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Honda Acura Legend forum recommendations

Post by Alucard7002 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:10 pm

I'm on there and asked around a bit for some suspension bits. Not with much luck.

Jago is on there too.

I'm afraid you are pretty much the go to bloke for 800/legend handling enquires!
Dušan - head lunatic @ Four Paw Racing

'66 Ford Country Sedan
'89 Mazda MX5 1.6
'98 Mitsubishi Evo 4 GSR
'07 Subaru Legacy Spec B

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:27 pm

There is a home-grown forum http://honda6.ipbhost.com/ which is biased towards the Accord coupé with the J30 VTEC V6 but does have a Legend/800 section but handling hasn't been covered in that, except for the fitting of 26mm/21mm front/rear anti roll bars which both of you already have.

A few years back Mike (Metelmickey) had a 30mm rear anti roll bar made for his coupé but i don't think he ever got round to getting the front one which i think was planned at 36 or 40mm. He doesn't come on the forum much these days sadly so i doubt we'll find out for sure but i know the rear ARB tighten things up a lot. Cost him about £150 if memory serves correctly and he had to have new mounts made to fit it.

There's an old trick from the 60s of fitting two anti roll bars in tandem to improve handling, sounds simple but i expect it would be much less straight forward than that!
Cheers,
Dave

'02 Honda CR-V SE Executive
'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate
'95 827 Coupé LPG gone but not forgotten!

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:42 pm

Thanks for that, it does seem a bit quiet on the Legend front but I will have a look at the link above.
I went into a Honda dealership today and they kindly printed off the front and rear suspension exploded pictures from their parts list for a 1988 Legend saloon, as I am sure you know it is identical to our suspension.
I looked at doubling up the ARB's and decided against it, the front as you know is limited by space and the back you could do it but the amount of increase would be to much even with one of the smaller diameter bars. Thats most likely why Metalmickey went that route, would be interesting to find out how far he got, who he used and where it is now.
I will keep you posted on any progress.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:49 am

Sadly, last time i saw the "Stealth Coupé" as it became known when Mike sprayed it black it was on an ebay listing with the title "Breaking 827 coupé" :evil: :cry:

He does occasionally pop up on here so maybe he might see this thread and shed some light on it.

This thread lists the ARB sizes and years of production, somewhere there was a formula i'm sure for calulating how much stiffer a given bar would be over the standard.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2705

I know the 26mm front ARB is twice as stiff as the 21mm, it's down to cross-sectional area apparently.

You'd have to get the twin ARBs very close together and there isn't a lot of space either front or rear to double them up. Fairly sure Mike used Spring Steel, had it bent to shape etc then sent it away to be tempered to get the resilience/springiness into it.
I'm not sure if there are "preferred" sizes for the diameters of spring steel to make ARBs from but for road use i'd probably go for something like 26mm rear and about 30-32mm front. Which reminds me - next time i crawl under the front of my Jeep i'll look at the shape of the ARB as that is about 32mm thick. Doesn't stop the body roll much but then it's a lot higher and heavier than the Rover!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

Richard Moss
Site Owner

Post by Richard Moss » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:52 am

For the cross-sectional area, multiply pi by the square of the radius.

A 26mm diameter bar has a radius of 13mm so the equation is 3.14 x 13 x 13 = 530 sq mm

A 21mm diameter bar gives 3.14 x 10.5 x 10.5 = 341 sq mm
Out in the desert with a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8, 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L and a 1997 Chevy Tahoe V8. Back home: 1969 MGC GT

traineefarmer
Rover Guru

Post by traineefarmer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:29 am

I thought torsional rigidity was down to circumference. Hence why a tube of the same diameter will give similar results.
Tom.

'97 Vitesse Coupe
'03 XC90 D5

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:57 am

Here's a link to a site that explains it fairly simply :

http://roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Torsion/Torsion.html

Thanks for the formula RIchard, it's pretty much a constant in the working out of how stiff a bar will be but the rest is down to other factors that relate to the material the bar is made from.

Tom - unless i've misread the site i've linked to, the torsional stiffness of a tube is based on the average cross-sectional area of the tube which is going to be much less than a bar of similar outside diameter as the tube is hollow. I've not done the maths to see how much this will effect it but would hazard a guess that the shear stress would be much lower on a tube than a bar.
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 pm

apparently on the acura legend forum which i have blitzed looking for upgrades n stuff, the g5 prelude front arb pretty much fits straight on and tanabe do a 30.5mm one, haven't looked much more into it, but pics did suggest it was very very similar.
fleet now includes
89 827 sterling auto saloon grey dead and gone
90 827 sli auto saloon pulsar silver
91 820 i special edition flaming hell red
99 820 vitesse turbo sport manual nightfire rust sold to a better owner than i

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:04 pm

Thats interesting, will have a look for it, also the 1987 Legend Coupe has a 27.4mm front ARB but having trouble finding a picture to check shape.

scoobyh123
Rover Guru

Post by scoobyh123 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:29 pm

820Vitesse wrote:Thats interesting, will have a look for it, also the 1987 Legend Coupe has a 27.4mm front ARB but having trouble finding a picture to check shape.

Here you go Jim :

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_ca ... ock_05=hcr

Be aware though, those aren't Honda part numbers! I'd be surprised if we had a 27.mm ARB on the UK Legend coupé seeing as generally the Legend was set up "softer" than the 800.
Perhaps Honda in other countries had thicker ARBs but i wonder if it was actually 25.4mm which is an inch and someone mistyped it where you found it?

Given the Tony Pond Vitesse left the factory in 1990 with what we now term a 26mm front ARB and rear 21mm and how little space there is in the standard saddle clamps for anything bigger, some places list the last Vitesses as having 25mm and others 26mm front ARBs unless a special mount was made for the Legend coupé ARB then i don't see 27.4mm as feasible.

I've just discovered if you add an item to your basket on Lings, it adds the Honda part number too. Looking at the Lings number for the ARB bushes it ends with "273" which may, just may, refer to the diameter of 27.3mm. Sadly despite searching the Honda part number for the bushes and the ARB i can't find out if it is 27.3mm - maybe you'll have more luck!
Cheers,
Dave

'99 Jag S Type 3.0 V6 SE

'94 827 Sterling saloon
'88 Volvo 760 V6 Estate

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:41 pm

jim, I've never heard t hat the early leg coupe had a 27.4 anti roll bar, they all skinny ones, where your read that to.
fleet now includes

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:44 am

I am trying to find one, I could be wrong, the shape is good though, when I do I will confirm but seems they are more rare than 800's these days.

midnite
Rover Guru

Post by midnite » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:31 pm

the only thing id be worried about slightly is the fact that a really really thick front arb is going to promote understeer a lot more on the 800, jim i don't know if you've even considered it, but I've looked at the front wing braces which are popular with honda stuff etc, have a look on eBay if not, i wondered what your take is on those, from my point of view I'm going to purple polybush mine along with gas shocks, 1" lower uprated springs, vitesse turbo sport arbs fr and r, and strut braces front and rear, i got a front brace now as well already.
fleet now includes

820Vitesse
Regular Visitor

Post by 820Vitesse » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:05 pm

midnite wrote:the only thing id be worried about slightly is the fact that a really really thick front arb is going to promote understeer a lot more on the 800, jim i don't know if you've even considered it, but I've looked at the front wing braces which are popular with honda stuff etc, have a look on eBay if not, i wondered what your take is on those, from my point of view I'm going to purple polybush mine along with gas shocks, 1" lower uprated springs, vitesse turbo sport arbs fr and r, and strut braces front and rear, i got a front brace now as well already.
Sounds good to me, that is pretty much how I had mine for a long time. I could not get rid off the body roll though, the Sport set up is the best, Sport front springs felt better than the Spax lowering springs I fitted so went back to cut down Sport springs on the front.
I have now almost eliminated all body roll with much stiffer front springs, I was satisfied with this until I read about the 27.4mm bar.
I am interested in the front strut brace you have, I had planned to link the roll cage to front top mounts but there is to much in the way if I want to keep it a road car with wipers, servo etc. do you have a link to the brace you are going to use?